Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default New electricity meter - rip-off

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 12:02:13 +0100, Nick L wrote:

How about looking at the meter display around the possible
switchover period?

Yes, meant to do that this morning but got distracted. I've a spare
outlet
for a storage heater so I might stick a mains neon on that as an
indicator
(easier than getting to the meter). This, of course, tells me only when
it
has happened, not when it will happen the following day!

Is your supplier actually saying the E7 period can vary from day to
day?

My meter doesn't appear to have any visual indicator as to which way it's
switched (unlike my old mechanical one).
However it does make a fairly loud clunk when it switches so I've been able
to confirm that E7 is going off at 07:00 gmt.

Ah, I'll have to listen for that. I'd assumed initially that it might be
solid-state switching, but for possibly 60A and not all resistive, that'd
need thyristors as big as the meter.

If mine is 0700 (that'd be 0600 on GMT) then I just about got the heating
period of the washing machine.

Mine shows "1" for daytime rate and "4" for night-time.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.