Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_4_] Bob Minchin[_4_] is offline

Default Electricity meter question.

wrote:
I am expriencing this right now. The sun is blazing outside. I recently had solar panels fitted. A few days ago I had to have the meter changed from analogue to digital because the old one was moving backwards. My display is showing the word rEd as I speak. I am in th middle of doing some research and came across your question. One can only assume that it is to do with the solar panels. Also the light which normally flashes on the import meter is on solid red until I boil a kettle. This just indicates that you are not using any power from the import meter unless you use power hungry appliances such as a microwave or kettle. When it gets dark it flashes as normal and instead the generating light on my export meter stays solid which means that no solar power is generating. This is normal. As for th rEd display I need to do some searching. Will get back to you as soon as I find an answer x

This is perfectly normal and correct.

ReD = reverse energy detected and originally was a signal to a meter
reader that the meter had been trying to run backwards (usually a fraud
issue before microgeneration system became available)

The solid red light indicates no power being imported.

When you panels are generating more than you are using, the red light
will be on. When you boil a kettle, the panels might not generate enough
and so there will be some imported power to supplement the panels
ability to power the kettle.

Once triggered, the ReD warning will alternate with the normal meter
reading of imported power.
This meter will not normally display the exported power. There should be
a separate generation meter as part of your solar installation.
Your set up will not be able to tell you how much you are exporting.