Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange drain tank?

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 18:48:07 +0000, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Even reporters on the BBC cannot actually speak English any more.

This is true and on the childrens TV News service Newsround as well.

The current standard of 'official' talking and writing would have got
you a failed 11 plus ..

Also I would say that every letter that we get home from the local
primary school has at least one English error in it somewhere. They
are written on computer using Word so there really isn't any excuse.
OK the spelling and grammar checking isn't perfect but at least it
will pick up stupid things like where/were, lose/loose and wave a
flag over more complex grammatical problems with the text.

And indeed, that's probably because all those 11 plus failures got
together, joined Nu Laber, and the rest is history.

Not this 11+ fail...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.radio.amateur

In message , Yeti
writes

It'd never use "your" instead of "you're", but I remember being taught
that "it's" was the possessive.

Wonder if the English teacher in question was related to Brent Spiner? :P

I can't see the connection. Please hint!
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.radio.amateur

Default Fuel Injection (was Strange drain tank?)

On 07/01/2011 13:38, Adrian wrote:
gurgled happily, sounding much like they were
saying:

"De-coking" disappeared along with leaded petrol. Long before petrol
injection.

Fuel injection has been around a lot longer than unleaded petrol - which
was introduced alongside catalytic converters, which pretty much require
injection. First seen in the '50s, injection started to become common in
the late '70s. Leaded didn't disappear from the UK until the mid '90s,
following the '92 requirement for cats on all new cars. Very, very few
cars had electronically controlled carbs with cats, and even then not for
long.

Oh - and "de-coking" hasn't been required regularly for a hell of a lot
longer than that. I'd have guesstimated it died out in the '60s - and,
even then, hadn't been actually required on virtually any car built
postwar.

Well if we're going to mention Ze Var...

109s had an advantage over early Spitfires, because the Spit's
carburettor couldn't handle negative G and the engine would cut.
Whereas the 109's fuel injection was fine. A sharp dive could lose a
Spit by making its engine misfire.

This was one of the reasons why fuel injection became widespread in
aviation during WW2. The significantly better control of fuelling (for
better economy and power) also helped.

Wikipedia puts the first fuel injection at 1925.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.radio.amateur

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Yeti
writes

It'd never use "your" instead of "you're", but I remember being taught
that "it's" was the possessive.

Wonder if the English teacher in question was related to Brent Spiner? :P

I can't see the connection. Please hint!

Data could not B4 could.

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.radio.amateur

On Jan 7, 9:26*pm, Andy Champ wrote:
[...]

Andy- Hide quoted text -

Miss Shilling's orifice provided welcome relief for many pilots.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Shilling%27s_orifice

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.rec.subterranea

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 09:29:02 -0800, Jim K wrote:
a Scimitar.

Princess Anne used to drive one.

pulled by horses? ;)

Was she? Bet they'd been drinking!

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.radio.amateur

On 07/01/2011 20:55, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Yeti
writes

It'd never use "your" instead of "you're", but I remember being taught
that "it's" was the possessive.

Wonder if the English teacher in question was related to Brent Spiner? :P

I can't see the connection. Please hint!

Brent Spiner is the actor who plays Lt. Commander Data in Star Trek
(Next Generation).

He's an android, and he NEVER uses contractions.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.radio.amateur

On 07/01/2011 21:38, dennis@home wrote:

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Yeti
writes

It'd never use "your" instead of "you're", but I remember being
taught that "it's" was the possessive.

Wonder if the English teacher in question was related to Brent
Spiner? :P

I can't see the connection. Please hint!

Data could not B4 could.

I knew someone would get it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.radio.amateur

On Jan 7, 11:04 pm, Yeti wrote:
On 07/01/2011 21:38, dennis@home wrote:

"Ian Jackson" wrote in message
In message , Yeti
writes

It'd never use "your" instead of "you're", but I remember being
taught that "it's" was the possessive.

Wonder if the English teacher in question was related to Brent
Spiner? :P

I can't see the connection. Please hint!

Data could not B4 could.

I knew someone would get it.

so has he opened it up even a teeny weeny bit yet?

strewth - expect we're all expecting an Archers scream............

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.radio.amateur

drugs began to take hold. I remember Onetap saying
something like:

He's more likely to find some RAF pilots. And ****.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B3WtulyPyI

Random and like.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.rec.subterranea

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jim K saying
something like:

a Scimitar.

christ! as in Reliant?

To the best of my knowledge no biblical prophets, New Testament or
otherwise, have ever been seen in a Scimitar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.rec.subterranea

On Jan 7, 9:46*pm, Jules Richardson
wrote:
On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 09:29:02 -0800, Jim K wrote:
a Scimitar.

Princess Anne used to drive one.

pulled by horses? ;)

Was she? Bet they'd been drinking!

HRH;"Crikey, I must have been tight!"

Horse: " Yes, you were. Not anymore, though."
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.rec.subterranea

"Yeti" wrote in message
On 07/01/2011 11:47, Jim K wrote:
On Jan 7, 1:35 am, Grimly
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Nightjar\"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere saying something like:

It is not a reluctance to burn that is the problem. It is the tendancy
to clog injectors or carburettor jets.

I ran a Mini and several motorcycles on Avgas for a good couple of years
in the late 70s. It was ermm... tested for water and couldn't go back
into the planes. No problems at all.
If I found a 10Kgallon tank of the stuff, I'd just bung it all in my
Scim It would love it.

what's a "Scim" ?
Jim K

a Scimitar.

It's a 4 wheel Reliant

Steve Terry
--
Quidco cashback Sign-up Bonus of £1.25 when you signup at:
http://www.quidco.com/user/613515/55307

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.rec.subterranea

"Nightjar "cpb"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote in message
On 07/01/2011 08:43, harry wrote:
On Jan 6, 11:47 pm, "Nightjar\"cpb\"@""insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 06/01/2011 23:10, Dave Liquorice wrote:
I reckon any modern car will burn pretty much anything of the right
fuel type. The engine management will compenstate for any reluctance
for the fuel to burn by adjusting the fueling and timing on tne fly
to get the best burn it can....

It is not a reluctance to burn that is the problem. It is the tendancy
to clog injectors or carburettor jets.
Colin Bignell

How does lead in petrol do any of the above?

It doesn't. That simply does in the catalytic converter and, apparently,
contributes to crime in society.

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...ld-398151.html

The clogging is a result of by products of the aging process, which is not
specific to AVGAS.
Colin Bignell

and there was I thinking that crime was down because thanks to Chinese
cheap mass production there's nothing left worth nicking or breaking into,
and instantly updated PDQs make mugging for credit cards pointless anymore.

I take it lower Lead levels leads to the need to take drugs, as that has
risen.

Perhaps Lead is a Muncie suppressor? ;-)

Steve Terry
--
Quidco cashback Sign-up Bonus of £1.25 when you signup at:
http://www.quidco.com/user/613515/55307

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.radio.amateur

In message , Yeti
writes
On 07/01/2011 20:55, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Yeti
writes

It'd never use "your" instead of "you're", but I remember being taught
that "it's" was the possessive.

Wonder if the English teacher in question was related to Brent Spiner? :P

I can't see the connection. Please hint!

Brent Spiner is the actor who plays Lt. Commander Data in Star Trek
(Next Generation).

He's an android, and he NEVER uses contractions.

I knew who he is, but I was trying to see a connection with a
'possessive' "it's". All understood now!
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.radio.amateur

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 11:44:34 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

On 07/01/2011 10:31, mogga wrote:
On Thu, 06 Jan 2011 21:17:38 +0000, Roger
wrote:

On 06/01/2011 14:17, mogga wrote:

Houses built on fields in the 50s
Land used as play ground for some time.

I still think that it's a raised surround for an inspection chamber for
a sewer. Which way does/did the sewer - serving the houses - run?

It looks remarkably like this one which I can see from my bedroom window:
http://www.mills37.plus.com/Drain.JPG

The second bit of ours is lower.
but vaguely like that.

Have you lifted the cover yet, to see what's *really* inside? It would
end all this speculation!

No. I'm going to go and look at the covers today or tomorrow to see
what they say on them.

I have been told yesterday by the old man who lives near it that it's
drains. Apparently one of the houses will filling up underneath when
it rained because of the slope from the drains on the road that runs
along near us.
Digger came and dug huge trench (7-8ft or more deep) and ran it to
this drain cover which may or may not go into the canal... he wasn't
sure on that.
It's been done in the last 20-30 years anyway so surprising why it's
not shown on any plans.
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:

Have you lifted the cover yet, to see what's *really* inside? It would
end all this speculation!

I wouldn't recommend it. An alligator might leap out and bite his arm
off!

Or her arm even.
I'm not going to lift anything up!
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.rec.subterranea

On 08/01/2011 05:33, Steve Terry wrote:
wrote in message
On 07/01/2011 11:47, Jim K wrote:
On Jan 7, 1:35 am, Grimly
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Nightjar\"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere saying something like:

It is not a reluctance to burn that is the problem. It is the tendancy
to clog injectors or carburettor jets.

I ran a Mini and several motorcycles on Avgas for a good couple of years
in the late 70s. It was ermm... tested for water and couldn't go back
into the planes. No problems at all.
If I found a 10Kgallon tank of the stuff, I'd just bung it all in my
Scim It would love it.

what's a "Scim" ?
Jim K

a Scimitar.

It's a 4 wheel Reliant

Steve Terry

True, but the Kitten was the 4 wheel version of the Reliant Robin.

http://tinyurl.com/2uuqj8c

AC Cobras were made by the same people who did the 3 wheeled Invacar

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AC_Cars
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur,uk.rec.subterranea

wrote in message
On 07/01/2011 11:47, Jim K wrote:
On Jan 7, 1:35 am, Grimly
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Nightjar\"cpb\"@"
"insertmysurnamehere saying something like:

It is not a reluctance to burn that is the problem. It is the tendancy
to clog injectors or carburettor jets.

I ran a Mini and several motorcycles on Avgas for a good couple of years
in the late 70s. It was ermm... tested for water and couldn't go back
into the planes. No problems at all.
If I found a 10Kgallon tank of the stuff, I'd just bung it all in my
Scim It would love it.

what's a "Scim" ?
Jim K

a Scimitar.

It's a 4 wheel Reliant

Steve Terry

That's the Kitten you're thinking of. :P

Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.radio.amateur

On Fri, 7 Jan 2011 07:43:58 -0000, "Steve Terry"
wrote:
Over tuned Mk1 Opel Omega 3 litre straight 6

Tuned? The addition of two turbos and major suspension surgery is a
bit more than tuning...

--

Brian
Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.subterranea,uk.radio.amateur

wrote:
Over tuned Mk1 Opel Omega 3 litre straight 6

Tuned? The addition of two turbos and major suspension surgery is a bit
more than tuning...

No, that's exactly what tuning consists of.