Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange drain tank?

Possibly the worst photo ever
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25345470@N02/5323999750/

but shows a concrete structure with a square drain cover in the top
but doesn't show on any mains drainage plans for nearby houses or for
a utility search for the land.

One of the men who uncovered it said it reminded him in size and shape
of a drain cover.
Too cold and horrid to go and take more photos today - but will get a
proper look soon.

Any ideas?

Is it just the end of the drains system that goes the nearby houses?
No houses have ever been on the land from what we can see on old maps.
--
http://www.bra-and-pants.com
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mogga wrote:

Possibly the worst photo ever
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25345470@N02/5323999750/

but shows a concrete structure with a square drain cover in the top
but doesn't show on any mains drainage plans for nearby houses or for
a utility search for the land.

One of the men who uncovered it said it reminded him in size and shape
of a drain cover.
Too cold and horrid to go and take more photos today - but will get a
proper look soon.

Any ideas?

Is it just the end of the drains system that goes the nearby houses?
No houses have ever been on the land from what we can see on old maps.

What's the other side of the fence? It looks a bit industrial.

Edgar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2011 14:52, mogga wrote:
Possibly the worst photo ever
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25345470@N02/5323999750/

but shows a concrete structure with a square drain cover in the top
but doesn't show on any mains drainage plans for nearby houses or for
a utility search for the land.

One of the men who uncovered it said it reminded him in size and shape
of a drain cover.
Too cold and horrid to go and take more photos today - but will get a
proper look soon.

Any ideas?

Read this before even thinking about going inside:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg258.pdf

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 5:59 pm, "Nightjar \"cpb\"@" "insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 04/01/2011 14:52, mogga wrote:

Possibly the worst photo ever
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25345470@N02/5323999750/

but shows a concrete structure with a square drain cover in the top
but doesn't show on any mains drainage plans for nearby houses or for
a utility search for the land.

One of the men who uncovered it said it reminded him in size and shape
of a drain cover.
Too cold and horrid to go and take more photos today - but will get a
proper look soon.

Any ideas?

Read this before even thinking about going inside:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg258.pdf

Colin Bignell

time for a canary...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/01/2011 10:10, Jim K wrote:
On Jan 4, 5:59 pm, "Nightjar\"cpb\"@""insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 04/01/2011 14:52, mogga wrote:

Possibly the worst photo ever
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25345470@N02/5323999750/

but shows a concrete structure with a square drain cover in the top
but doesn't show on any mains drainage plans for nearby houses or for
a utility search for the land.

One of the men who uncovered it said it reminded him in size and shape
of a drain cover.
Too cold and horrid to go and take more photos today - but will get a
proper look soon.

Any ideas?

Read this before even thinking about going inside:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg258.pdf

Colin Bignell

time for a canary...

Jim K

Roast or boiled?

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mogga wrote:

Possibly the worst photo ever
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25345470@N02/5323999750/

but shows a concrete structure with a square drain cover in the top
but doesn't show on any mains drainage plans for nearby houses or for
a utility search for the land.

One of the men who uncovered it said it reminded him in size and shape
of a drain cover.
Too cold and horrid to go and take more photos today - but will get a
proper look soon.

Any ideas?

Is it just the end of the drains system that goes the nearby houses?
No houses have ever been on the land from what we can see on old maps.

Is this Buncefield by any chance?

Edgar
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/2011 14:52, mogga wrote:
Possibly the worst photo ever
http://www.flickr.com/photos/25345470@N02/5323999750/

but shows a concrete structure with a square drain cover in the top
but doesn't show on any mains drainage plans for nearby houses or for
a utility search for the land.

One of the men who uncovered it said it reminded him in size and shape
of a drain cover.
Too cold and horrid to go and take more photos today - but will get a
proper look soon.

Any ideas?

Is it just the end of the drains system that goes the nearby houses?
No houses have ever been on the land from what we can see on old maps.

It looks very similar to two which are in the field at the back of my
house. 'Mine' are access chambers to a sewer which runs under the field.
[I can see them - and the line of the sewer - on Google Earth. maybe you
can do the same?

By being built up, they appear to fulfil two purposes:
1. They keep heavy agricultural equipment away from the chambers
2. They increase the level to which the contents of the (frequently
blocked) sewer can rise before it overflows
--
Cheers,
Roger
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 04 Jan 2011 20:18:23 +0000, Roger Mills
wrote:

[...]

Someone reckons there's a drain across the field ...
Will update when we go on field or find out more.

(We will have to know what it is I think before we sign a lease for
the land!)