Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Strange gunk in sink drain

When I cleaned one of the upstairs bathroom sink drains, there was
something strange in it. I don't know what it was but it looked and
smelled like wet soil. I can't imagine that it would be residue or
soap scum. None of the other sinks or tubs has this stuff in it. Any
ideas as to what it could be? This isn't the first time this stuff has
been it. I would say this drain needs cleaning at least once or twice
a year. All the others can go five years or more without a problem.
But this sink gets stuff like makeup, facial products, and sometimes
shaving cream run down it, the others don't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
"Mike S." wrote:

When I cleaned one of the upstairs bathroom sink drains, there was
something strange in it. I don't know what it was but it looked and
smelled like wet soil. I can't imagine that it would be residue or
soap scum. None of the other sinks or tubs has this stuff in it. Any
ideas as to what it could be? This isn't the first time this stuff has
been it. I would say this drain needs cleaning at least once or twice
a year. All the others can go five years or more without a problem.
But this sink gets stuff like makeup, facial products, and sometimes
shaving cream run down it, the others don't.

Likely has a lot of hair in the mix

Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Al is offline

Mike S. wrote:
When I cleaned one of the upstairs bathroom sink drains, there was
something strange in it. I don't know what it was but it looked and
smelled like wet soil. I can't imagine that it would be residue or
soap scum. None of the other sinks or tubs has this stuff in it. Any
ideas as to what it could be? This isn't the first time this stuff has
been it. I would say this drain needs cleaning at least once or twice
a year. All the others can go five years or more without a problem.
But this sink gets stuff like makeup, facial products, and sometimes
shaving cream run down it, the others don't.

When I took over my house I found similar "muck" in the P trap. My best guess
was that it was the residue from shaving. IE "mainly whiskers".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike S." wrote in message
But this sink gets stuff like makeup, facial products, and sometimes
shaving cream run down it, the others don't.

Well there you go. Add some decomposed hair to the mix too.