Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Batteries and chargers

There is now a Wii in the house, so I need to get my act together
to keep its various bits supplied with power.

Is this about the best bet for rechargeable AA batteries?
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=108409

I know that charging stands (with special battery packs) are
available, but since the documentation specifically cautions
against in-situ charging, I am unsure if these would invalidate
the warranty. There certainly seem to be some tales of woe
amongst product reviews.

I notice that "conditioning" chargers such as
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=217900&C=Froogle&U=217900&T=M odule
are available, at a price.

I can see that this might enable me to rehabilitate, or classify
as unrecoverable some of my existing battery collection.

Has anyone had a good experience with this, or something like it?
Alternatively is it simply a better economic solution to scrap
the old batteries, and stick with my existing charger?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
There is now a Wii in the house, so I need to get my act together
to keep its various bits supplied with power.

Is this about the best bet for rechargeable AA batteries?
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=108409

I would recommend you get some of the hybrid NIMH batteries (Enloop are
Sanyo's brand), as they have a far, far lower self discharge rate, so when
you don't use the Wii for a few months, they will still be good to go, and
not flat.

Maplin sell them (at price!) I expect a similar version is available cheaper
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=219932

--
Toby...
Remove pants to reply

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/01/11 13:52, Chris J Dixon wrote:
There is now a Wii in the house, so I need to get my act together
to keep its various bits supplied with power.

Is this about the best bet for rechargeable AA batteries?
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=108409

Also consider their "good to go" range.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Bernard Peek
saying something like:

On 04/01/11 13:52, Chris J Dixon wrote:
There is now a Wii in the house, so I need to get my act together
to keep its various bits supplied with power.

Is this about the best bet for rechargeable AA batteries?
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=108409

Also consider their "good to go" range.

And have a look at www.component-shop.co.uk for Eneloops and Vapex
Instant low self-discharge. I recommend these sellers.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 2:30 pm, John Rumm wrote:

I have one very "smart" charger for AAs that can do capacity
measurements, various charge currents etc. It can give you a good idea
of the cell capacity, but I am not sure it can do much for knackered
cells other than identify them. The very smart ones can also have
difficulty if the cell voltage falls too far (either from auto discharge
or getting reverse biased in an appliance due to cell mismatch), then
they refuse to charge the cell at all. I find in those cases a couple of
mins in a slightly dumber smart charger will be enough to have the posh
one recognise and charge them again.

mmm that behaviour (esp indicating cells are dead when they just need
a lo-tech charger "shock" to get em started) is how my (assumed
modest) Lidl charger behaves on occasion. Sometimes just leaving the
"allegedly knackered" cells in the Lidl charger overnight can
magically "restore" and charge them....

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Toby" wrote in message

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
There is now a Wii in the house, so I need to get my act together
to keep its various bits supplied with power.

Is this about the best bet for rechargeable AA batteries?
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products_id=108409

I would recommend you get some of the hybrid NIMH batteries (Enloop are
Sanyo's brand), as they have a far, far lower self discharge rate, so when
you don't use the Wii for a few months, they will still be good to go, and
not flat.

Maplin sell them (at price!) I expect a similar version is available
cheaper
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=219932

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=107341

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I know that charging stands (with special battery packs) are
available, but since the documentation specifically cautions
against in-situ charging, I am unsure if these would invalidate
the warranty. There certainly seem to be some tales of woe
amongst product reviews.

I have a cheapo charging stand for the kids Wii - the original controller
battery cover is replaced with the supplied battery pack with contacts on
the back if it's cover. Charges when placed in the stand. Has been in daily
use for over a year with now issues.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 6 Jan 2011 12:30:50 -0000, "AlanD"
wrote:

I know that charging stands (with special battery packs) are
available, but since the documentation specifically cautions
against in-situ charging, I am unsure if these would invalidate
the warranty. There certainly seem to be some tales of woe
amongst product reviews.

I have a cheapo charging stand for the kids Wii - the original controller
battery cover is replaced with the supplied battery pack with contacts on
the back if it's cover. Charges when placed in the stand. Has been in daily
use for over a year with now issues.

Personally I'd avoid a cheap charger as they can overcharge batteries
and even "smart" chargers often charge batteries as a set. I use a
Maha fast charger, which is very good, albeit expensive.
--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

One thing to be aware of when using rechargeable batteries where the
kit may have been designed for dry cells is the probability/
possibility of batteries appearing flat prematurely. There isn't a
huge difference in the voltage generated by a flat dry cell and that
of a half charged NiCd or NiMH cell.

Many of the guys running RC planes and boats run the receivers on 5
rechargeable cells (at 1.2V each) instead of 4 dry cells (at 1.5V
each) to overcome this problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
,
1501 wrote:
One thing to be aware of when using rechargeable batteries where the
kit may have been designed for dry cells is the probability/
possibility of batteries appearing flat prematurely. There isn't a
huge difference in the voltage generated by a flat dry cell and that
of a half charged NiCd or NiMH cell.

Rechargeables tend to have a flatter voltage discharge curve than
alkalines.

Many of the guys running RC planes and boats run the receivers on 5
rechargeable cells (at 1.2V each) instead of 4 dry cells (at 1.5V
each) to overcome this problem.

It really depends on design. If a device needs a constant voltage supply
it has likely got a PS which will work just fine with the lower voltage.

With something like a model plane the flying time might be more important
than saving money by changing rechargeables more often than alkaline. Most
devices have a built in battery container so don't offer an easy option of
using an extra cell.

--
*Local Area Network in Australia : The LAN down under*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

1501 wrote:
One thing to be aware of when using rechargeable batteries where the
kit may have been designed for dry cells is the probability/
possibility of batteries appearing flat prematurely. There isn't a
huge difference in the voltage generated by a flat dry cell and that
of a half charged NiCd or NiMH cell.

Many of the guys running RC planes and boats run the receivers on 5
rechargeable cells (at 1.2V each) instead of 4 dry cells (at 1.5V
each) to overcome this problem.

No. most RC guys run on FOUR cells (4.8v)

Dry cells have not been part of the receiver scene since the mid 60's

They use 5 cells (6v) for faster and more powerful servo response.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jan 4, 7:04*pm, "JoeJoe" wrote:
"Toby" wrote in message

"Chris J Dixon" wrote in message
.. .
There is now a Wii in the house, so I need to get my act together
to keep its various bits supplied with power.

Is this about the best bet for rechargeable AA batteries?
http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_3&products...

I would recommend you get some of the hybrid NIMH batteries (Enloop are
Sanyo's brand), as they have a far, far lower self discharge rate, so when
you don't use the Wii for a few months, they will still be good to go, and
not flat.

Maplin sell them (at price!) I expect a similar version is available
cheaper
http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=219932

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=107341

The latter is a good company to deal with and don't charge VAT. A
bit slow with dispatch, perhaps, but reliable. And you can always go
them through Quidco or Topcash and get it a bit cheaper.

John
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/11 13:26, John MacLeod wrote:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...ucts_id=107341

The latter is a good company to deal with and don't charge VAT. A
bit slow with dispatch, perhaps, but reliable. And you can always go
them through Quidco or Topcash and get it a bit cheaper.

There's an exemption from VAT for goods worth less than about £18 so
they sometimes split orders into multiple small shipments. When I've
used them I've had reasonably prompt delivery. I allow allow an extra
day for the ferry to get across the channel.

--
Bernard Peek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 07 Jan 2011 14:56:47 +0000 Bernard Peek wrote :
There's an exemption from VAT for goods worth less than about £18
so they sometimes split orders into multiple small shipments. When
I've used them I've had reasonably prompt delivery. I allow allow
an extra day for the ferry to get across the channel.

Here the exemption from GST (sales tax) is AS1000, about £650. One of
our prominent retailers has just led a campaign against this, as being
unfair to local retailers. This backfired spectacularly with newspaper
reports telling everyone they could save 40% buying online

http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/bil...105-19fi3.html

--
Tony Bryer, Greentram: 'Software to build on' Melbourne, Australia
www.superbeam.co.uk www.eurobeam.co.uk www.greentram.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark
writes
wrote:

I know that charging stands (with special battery packs) are
available, but since the documentation specifically cautions
against in-situ charging, I am unsure if these would invalidate
the warranty. There certainly seem to be some tales of woe
amongst product reviews.

I have a cheapo charging stand for the kids Wii - the original controller
battery cover is replaced with the supplied battery pack with contacts on
the back if it's cover. Charges when placed in the stand. Has been in daily
use for over a year with now issues.

Personally I'd avoid a cheap charger as they can overcharge batteries
and even "smart" chargers often charge batteries as a set. I use a
Maha fast charger, which is very good, albeit expensive.

I do have a decent charger (ansmann), but also have one of the Wii
charging stands - was given to us as a gift about a year ago. It's
worked fine. It probably isn't an especially smart charger, I don't
know. But shrug it's just a few sets of AAA batteries, they'll
probably still last for years.

It wasn't great shakes to change the batteries, but it is more
convenient, and does give us somewhere to put the remotes rather than
just ahving them lying about
--
Chris French

i have two battery chargers and they dont seem to charge most of the batteries misterroy UK diy 12 September 7th 10 05:01 PM
USB chargers ARWadsworth UK diy 6 August 7th 10 11:33 AM
RC chargers bin li Electronics Repair 0 September 29th 09 04:53 AM
Trickle Chargers? Duff[_2_] Home Repair 2 April 8th 08 04:05 PM
do Vid Cam Chargers Measure I ? jack Electronics 0 December 2nd 04 06:43 AM