Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Email address for Charles Phillips Of Edinburgh Ltd, Auctioneers

As per subject, does anyone have a proper email address for Charles
Phillips, rather than their website form email system please?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message . uk...
As per subject, does anyone have a proper email address for Charles Phillips, rather than their website form email system please?

CHARLES PHILLIPS & SONS (OF EDINBURGH) LIMITED
DRUMMORE HOUSE
NORTH BERWICK ROAD
MUSSELBURGH
EH21 8JT

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graham. was thinking very hard :
"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
. uk...
As per subject, does anyone have a proper email address for Charles
Phillips, rather than their website form email system please?

CHARLES PHILLIPS & SONS (OF EDINBURGH) LIMITED
DRUMMORE HOUSE
NORTH BERWICK ROAD
MUSSELBURGH
EH21 8JT

I already knew their postal address, thanks anyway but its their email
address I was trying to track down.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 21, 6:50 pm, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
As per subject, does anyone have a proper email address for Charles
Phillips, rather than their website form email system please?

http://www.kingshall.co.uk/event/det...7-57e5ac438baa

merry xmas

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
As per subject, does anyone have a proper email address for Charles
Phillips, rather than their website form email system please?

http://www.kingshall.co.uk/event/det...7-57e5ac438baa

merry xmas

Jim K

Thanks Jim, but I found and tried that address yesterday - it bounced.

Merry Chrismas to you.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

FWIW

http://www.kingshall.co.uk/event/det...7-57e5ac438baa

shows

--
Robin
PM may be sent to rbw0{at}hotmail{dot}com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Robin presented the following explanation :
FWIW

http://www.kingshall.co.uk/event/det...7-57e5ac438baa

shows

Yes, but that address bounces.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote :
As per subject, does anyone have a proper email address for Charles Phillips,
rather than their website form email system please?

This company seem to make themselves awfully difficult to make contact
with. A seemingly wrong postal address on their website, an email form
on their web site to no one responds and no contact phone number.

I managed to track down their phone number via BT, gave them a ring and
they volunteered what seems to be a valid email address. It is not much
different from the other one found on another web site.

'

0131 665 6448
Charles Phillips & Sons
Drummore House
Wallyford Toll,
Wallyford,
Musselburgh.
EH21 8JT

The reason why I am trying to contact them, is several complaints with
regards to a laptop I bought in one of their auctions last Sunday. They
had several in the auction, all described by the auctioneer and their
advert as brand new with full manufactures warranties.

The one I bought actually turned out to be used and the warrantee had
almost expired - as recorded by the BIOS. There was also an
irregularity in the bidding step, which meant I paid much more for it
than intended and more than the new cost in the shops.

Other than the above complaints, the company seems to be genuine - but
I'll see what response there is to my emailed complaint.

[update] I have just received a Read Receipt back from the above
address, but their server seems not to respond to a Delivery Receipt
request.

Other than it being obviously a used laptop and the warrantee on the
verge of expiring and the bidding irregularity, the laptop is good and
I have offered to keep it, providing they are agreeable to a sensible
adjustment on what I paid for the item.

What would be a sensible percentage reduction to ask for, used with
almost no warrantee, versus new with a full warrantee?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 22, 10:45 am, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote :

As per subject, does anyone have a proper email address for Charles Phillips,
rather than their website form email system please?

This company seem to make themselves awfully difficult to make contact
with. A seemingly wrong postal address on their website, an email form
on their web site to no one responds and no contact phone number.

I managed to track down their phone number via BT, gave them a ring and
they volunteered what seems to be a valid email address. It is not much
different from the other one found on another web site.

'

WTF's this "not much different" sh1te?

it's identical to that shown earlier by at least two posters (one
myself) that you promptly said "it doesn;t work" to....

Email:

Best of British with that lot - sounds like a typical "how greedy and
dumb are you?" "mocktion" to me...

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K presented the following explanation :
wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote :

[...]

Steady on...

The address I tried from the suggested website was
which produced a bounce not from their server,
but from DNS. Which suggested to me that their was not such server as
@charlesphillips.com

I also tested the
and got the same result.

What I didn't know and what you probably also didn't know, was that for
the past two or three days a number of mail servers have been without a
connection. AOL has also been badly affected.

All do seem to be back to normal, as near as I can tell.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote :

[...]

HI Harry

FWIW - the cps@ email address seems to check out OK from here
- while the crp@ one doesn't.

Whether this will help you to get any money back.... I don't know

Good luck
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall expressed precisely :
wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote :

[...]

Update....

They have responded to a Read Request and responded to the email. They
suggest there will probably be a proper response tomorrow.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote :

[...]

That's a start,,,, g

There's mention of this particular firm online

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/...d.php?t=824407

It's not entirely complimentary - and it would seem that your rights
regarding purchases depend a great deal on what was or wasn't said
during the auction.

Be interesting to hear what they come back with...

Good luck
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote :

[...]

snip smashing stuff

your phrase
". It is not much
different from the other one found on another web site"

still sounds somewhat conceited to me....

However Merry Xmas

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K presented the following explanation :
snip smashing stuff

your phrase
". It is not much
different from the other one found on another web site"

still sounds somewhat conceited to me....

It was not indendent to be conceited, nor does it sound at all
conceited to me now - just a simple statement that they were not much
different from each other.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 22, 6:12 pm, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Jim K presented the following explanation :

snip smashing stuff

your phrase
". It is not much
different from the other one found on another web site"

still sounds somewhat conceited to me....

It was not indendent to be conceited, nor does it sound at all
conceited to me now - just a simple statement that they were not much
different from each other.

erroneous statement given they were *identical* ?

yes or no?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Jim K presented the following explanation :

snip smashing stuff

your phrase
". It is not much
different from the other one found on another web site"
still sounds somewhat conceited to me....

It was not indendent to be conceited, nor does it sound at all
conceited to me now - just a simple statement that they were not much
different from each other.

erroneous statement given they were *identical* ?

yes or no?

Jim K

and

are quite similar.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Jim K presented the following explanation :

snip smashing stuff

your phrase
". It is not much
different from the other one found on another web site"
still sounds somewhat conceited to me....

It was not indendent to be conceited, nor does it sound at all
conceited to me now - just a simple statement that they were not much
different from each other.

erroneous statement given they were *identical* ?

yes or no?

Jim K

and

are quite similar.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

doh - for the benefit of those who can't be arsed:-

the webpage says:-

"cps @ charlesphillips.com"

the click through from that text is "crp @ charlesphillips.com"

(Seems Harry is too conceited to admit he didn't notice when he
clicked through (or hovered over) that the email addys were different,
but still cocky enough to erroneously dismiss those pointing him to
the answer that he eventually found for himself; and still conceited
enough not to be able to admit his mistake(s) - duly noted)

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 21/12/2010, Harry Bloomfield supposed :
As per subject, does anyone have a proper email address for Charles Phillips,
rather than their website form email system please?

This matter has now been entirely resolved. The company have agreed
with me partial refund, which I have accepted (or I could, if I would
preferred, have returned the item at their cost, for a full refund).

A fair company to do business with, despite my initial problems trying
to track them down.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 23, 3:55 pm, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
on 21/12/2010, Harry Bloomfield supposed :

As per subject, does anyone have a proper email address for Charles Phillips,
rather than their website form email system please?

This matter has now been entirely resolved. The company have agreed
with me partial refund, which I have accepted (or I could, if I would
preferred, have returned the item at their cost, for a full refund).

A fair company to do business with, despite my initial problems trying
to track them down.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

are you being leant on?

you say elsewhere -
"CP seemed to be genuinly concerned about the transaction and
initially offered me the choice of a £75 refund, or returning it to
them at their cost. I suggested that £75 was not adequate, it would
only make the used laptop £25 less than the cost of a new one in the
shops. They later agreed to offer £100, which I accepted."

So in summary you have bought a secondhand laptop with perhaps 3
months warranty remaining for a saving of £50 over new? AND you are
telling us all is well AND you'd do it again?

What make and model laptop is this?

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2010 19:47, Jim K wrote:

are you being leant on?

If he is he won't be able to tell us. Of course, if he isn't he will...
so silence would tell the tale.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote :
are you being leant on?

Er, no - I believe in being fair. Some of these auction houses can be
fly by nights and I wanted to make sure it was clear that this one was
not one of them.

There is nothing guaranteed to make me very loud, than someone trying
to lean on me.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 24, 8:35 am, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
Jim K wrote :

are you being leant on?

Er, no - I believe in being fair. Some of these auction houses can be
fly by nights and I wanted to make sure it was clear that this one was
not one of them.

There is nothing guaranteed to make me very loud, than someone trying
to lean on me.

Fair? IMHO you've been had, despite your assurances to the contrary.

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article
, Jim
K writes

Fair? IMHO you've been had, despite your assurances to the contrary.

His problem not yours surely?
--
fred
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
, Jim
K writes
wrote:
Jim K wrote :

are you being leant on?

Er, no - I believe in being fair. Some of these auction houses can be
fly by nights and I wanted to make sure it was clear that this one was
not one of them.

There is nothing guaranteed to make me very loud, than someone trying
to lean on me.

Fair? IMHO you've been had, despite your assurances to the contrary.

Jim K

Harry,
Being a frequenter of many auctions I'm afraid that I would tend to
agree with Jim. At the ones I attend you would normally find a fully
working, boxed, as new, laptop making about 2/3s of the cheapest shop
price.
To give an idea on pricing there are a number of people at my local
auction that buy there and sell on Ebay, they still manage a reasonable
profit. Even so it is still very much, let the buyer beware. If they
don't give you the chance before the sale to check out the equipment to
your satisfaction then I would walk away. Again my local will even
allow me to take test equipment in and run up items before the day.

--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 24, 10:20 am, fred wrote:
In article
, Jim
K writes

Fair? IMHO you've been had, despite your assurances to the contrary.

His problem not yours surely?

strewth - OK back a few squares :-

*If* he wasn't now defending and even *recommending* this iffy looking
outfit on here (and elsewhere)....

*then* Yes it "would have been" only his quiet little secret.

Jim K

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K brought next idea :
strewth - OK back a few squares :-

*If* he wasn't now defending and even *recommending* this iffy looking
outfit on here (and elsewhere)....

*then* Yes it "would have been" only his quiet little secret.

There are a lot of fly by night auction companies about and my troubles
trying to contact them, might have given anyone considering going to
one of their auctions, a bad impression.

Once I had managed to make contact with them, they could not have been
more helpful and apologetic.

Being a fair man and having resolved the issue to my entire
satisfaction, I thought I ought to redress the balance. Once again, I
have received a very fair settlement from them - they did offer a full
refund and collection at their expense, I chose to keep it with a
partial refund.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Put a fake email address to avoid spam ¦¦¦SHAD0W¦¦¦ Electronics 4 August 15th 06 04:23 PM
change of email address raden UK diy 18 January 30th 05 10:53 AM
Need to contact Paul Hardy. Lost his Email address again RWatson767 Metalworking 1 January 13th 05 03:14 PM
email address for OT poster Rich Andrews Woodworking 0 October 1st 03 07:58 AM