Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Ummm, what are they called?

Sort of washery-type things that slip over the end of an axle to hold things
on. You see them holding the wheels on childrens push-along toys. I need one
for a 12mm axle.

If I knew what to look for I might find somewhere that sells them, but you
guys probably know already.

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't, it
turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
Sort of washery-type things that slip over the end of an axle to hold
things on. You see them holding the wheels on childrens push-along toys. I
need one for a 12mm axle.

If I knew what to look for I might find somewhere that sells them, but you
guys probably know already.

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

http://www.bakfin.com/terminology.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

brass monkey wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
Sort of washery-type things that slip over the end of an axle to hold
things on. You see them holding the wheels on childrens push-along
toys. I need one for a 12mm axle.

If I knew what to look for I might find somewhere that sells them,
but you guys probably know already.

http://www.bakfin.com/terminology.html

Okay, thanks, I'll look for star washer. Screwfix?

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

GB wrote:
brass monkey wrote:
"GB" wrote in message
Sort of washery-type things that slip over the end of an axle to
hold things on. You see them holding the wheels on childrens
push-along toys. I need one for a 12mm axle.

If I knew what to look for I might find somewhere that sells them,
but you guys probably know already.

http://www.bakfin.com/terminology.html

Okay, thanks, I'll look for star washer. Screwfix?

Oops, I hadn't realised that Bakfin were in Brum.

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:

If I knew what to look for I might find somewhere that sells them,
but you guys probably know already.

http://www.bakfin.com/terminology.html

Okay, thanks, I'll look for star washer. Screwfix?

Star washers are the wrong thing to look for. Star washers are used to
prevent nuts undoing themselves when subject to vibration (except they
don't work very well at that). What you need, if I understand you
correctly, are Shaft Rings which are applied to shafts to stop the
wheels falling off.

http://www.rotorclip.com/cat_pdfs/tx.pdf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
Sort of washery-type things that slip over the end of an axle to hold things
on. You see them holding the wheels on childrens push-along toys. I need one
for a 12mm axle.

If I knew what to look for I might find somewhere that sells them, but you
guys probably know already.

http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx?intGroupID=16225
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Steve Firth wrote:
GB wrote:

If I knew what to look for I might find somewhere that sells them,
but you guys probably know already.

http://www.bakfin.com/terminology.html

Okay, thanks, I'll look for star washer. Screwfix?

Star washers are the wrong thing to look for. Star washers are used to
prevent nuts undoing themselves when subject to vibration (except they
don't work very well at that). What you need, if I understand you
correctly, are Shaft Rings which are applied to shafts to stop the
wheels falling off.

http://www.rotorclip.com/cat_pdfs/tx.pdf

Yes, I meant Starlock washers, like the ones you and Brass Monkey pointed
out. Now, who is going to stock them in N London and be open on a Staurday
afternoon?

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
GB wrote:

If I knew what to look for I might find somewhere that sells them,
but you guys probably know already.
http://www.bakfin.com/terminology.html
Okay, thanks, I'll look for star washer. Screwfix?

Star washers are the wrong thing to look for. Star washers are used to
prevent nuts undoing themselves when subject to vibration (except they
don't work very well at that). What you need, if I understand you
correctly, are Shaft Rings which are applied to shafts to stop the
wheels falling off.

http://www.rotorclip.com/cat_pdfs/tx.pdf

Yes, I meant Starlock washers, like the ones you and Brass Monkey pointed
out. Now, who is going to stock them in N London and be open on a Staurday
afternoon?

Halfrauds is worth a try.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
GB wrote:
Steve Firth wrote:
GB wrote:

If I knew what to look for I might find somewhere that sells them,
but you guys probably know already.
http://www.bakfin.com/terminology.html
Okay, thanks, I'll look for star washer. Screwfix?
Star washers are the wrong thing to look for. Star washers are used to
prevent nuts undoing themselves when subject to vibration (except they
don't work very well at that). What you need, if I understand you
correctly, are Shaft Rings which are applied to shafts to stop the
wheels falling off.

http://www.rotorclip.com/cat_pdfs/tx.pdf

Yes, I meant Starlock washers, like the ones you and Brass Monkey
pointed out. Now, who is going to stock them in N London and be open
on a Staurday afternoon?

Halfrauds is worth a try.

Try in the bicycle repair bit (i.e. scrounge one from the repair guy if
they don't have them pre-packed).
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Dave Osborne wrote:

Halfrauds is worth a try.

Try in the bicycle repair bit (i.e. scrounge one from the repair guy
if they don't have them pre-packed).

They hadn't a clue, I'm fraid. That's not to say they don't have them, but

Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 6, 3:49*pm, Dave Osborne wrote:
GB wrote:
Sort of washery-type things that slip over the end of an axle to hold things
on. You see them holding the wheels on childrens push-along toys. I need one
for a 12mm axle.

If I knew what to look for I might find somewhere that sells them, but you
guys probably know already.

http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx?intGroupID=16225

Clearly a useful source for all sorts of odd bits. However I'd much
prefer to drill the axle and use an ordinary washer with a split pin
outboard of it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Osborne" wrote in message
GB wrote:
Sort of washery-type things that slip over the end of an axle to hold
things on. You see them holding the wheels on childrens push-along toys.
I need one for a 12mm axle.

If I knew what to look for I might find somewhere that sells them, but
you guys probably know already.

http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx?intGroupID=16225

Hmm,

I've prised off enough of them but never thought about what they are called.

Is there an official way of getting them off without scratching up a shaft
by the way?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
Sort of washery-type things that slip over the end of an axle to hold
things on. You see them holding the wheels on childrens push-along toys. I
need one for a 12mm axle.

If I knew what to look for I might find somewhere that sells them, but you
guys probably know already.

I had the same problem so I wqent to MotherCare and told them what had
happened and they gave me a handful of them.
Alan

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John MacLeod wrote:
On Nov 6, 3:49 pm, Dave Osborne
wrote:
GB wrote:
Sort of washery-type things that slip over the end of an
axle to hold things on. You see them holding the wheels on
childrens push-along toys. I need one for a 12mm axle.

If I knew what to look for I might find somewhere that sells
them, but you guys probably know already.

http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx?intGroupID=16225

Clearly a useful source for all sorts of odd bits.

OMG - there goes the rest of today....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
Sort of washery-type things that slip over the end of an axle to hold
things on. You see them holding the wheels on childrens push-along
toys. I need one for a 12mm axle.

If I knew what to look for I might find somewhere that sells them,
but you guys probably know already.

http://shop.comdir.co.uk/Products.aspx?intGroupID=16225

Clearly a useful source for all sorts of odd bits.

OMG - there goes the rest of today....

That site wasted a lot of time for me *last* year...I've used them two or
three times...!

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 6, 11:21*pm, "Spamlet" wrote:

Is there an official way of getting them off without scratching up a shaft
by the way?

Destroy them, replace them with new ones. They usually suffer a loss
of springiness in being removed anyway.

Easiest way is to cut their circumference with a pair of side cutters.
Once they're no longer a ring, they lose much retention ability. If
you cut them twice, they fall in half.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Nov 6, 11:21 pm, "Spamlet" wrote:

Is there an official way of getting them off without scratching up a shaft
by the way?

Destroy them, replace them with new ones. They usually suffer a loss
of springiness in being removed anyway.

Easiest way is to cut their circumference with a pair of side cutters.
Once they're no longer a ring, they lose much retention ability. If
you cut them twice, they fall in half.

Before some other smartarse says it, thirds surely

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"brass monkey" wrote in message
eb.com...

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message
On Nov 6, 11:21 pm, "Spamlet" wrote:

Is there an official way of getting them off without scratching up a
shaft
by the way?

Destroy them, replace them with new ones. They usually suffer a loss
of springiness in being removed anyway.

Easiest way is to cut their circumference with a pair of side cutters.
Once they're no longer a ring, they lose much retention ability. If
you cut them twice, they fall in half.

Before some other smartarse says it, thirds surely

Correction, too much booze. LOL.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

brass monkey wrote:
Easiest way is to cut their circumference with a pair of side
cutters. Once they're no longer a ring, they lose much retention
ability. If you cut them twice, they fall in half.

Before some other smartarse says it, thirds surely

Correction, too much booze. LOL.

Surely, thirds would require 3 cuts?

Anyway, I couldn't get hold of one but manage to make a hole in the shaft
and used a washer plus a bent piece of metal to hold it on. Proper bodge
job, but it seems to be working.

--
Murphy's ultimate law is that if something that could go wrong doesn't,
it turns out that it would have been better if it had gone wrong.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
brass monkey wrote:
Easiest way is to cut their circumference with a pair of side
cutters. Once they're no longer a ring, they lose much retention
ability. If you cut them twice, they fall in half.

Before some other smartarse says it, thirds surely

Correction, too much booze. LOL.

Surely, thirds would require 3 cuts?

Anyway, I couldn't get hold of one but manage to make a hole in the shaft
and used a washer plus a bent piece of metal to hold it on. Proper bodge
job, but it seems to be working.

Well split pins kept wheels on for centuries that way, so I'd say you were
in with a good chance if you had the tools to make the hole. (And if you
lost the original retainer, that obviously wasn't a very good method in the
first place.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Spamlet wrote:

Well split pins kept wheels on for centuries that way, so I'd say you
were in with a good chance if you had the tools to make the hole.
(And if you lost the original retainer, that obviously wasn't a very
good method in the first place.)

There was no retainer in the first place. This is the linkage that connects
the wiper blade to the wiper motor on a Fiat Punto. It's just a push fit,
with nothing to hold it on. As it wears, the linkage eventually falls apart,
and the wipers stop working. Puntos are notorious for this. It's a simply
awful piece of design. Fiat's solution is to sell a complete wiper motor and
linkages (for about £250). My bodge was cheaper, and I have resolved never
to buy a Fiat again. This car has only done 30k miles, and many things have
gone wrong.

Here it is, if you are interested.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/16204359@N05/5164699072/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 9, 5:50*pm, "Spamlet" wrote:

Well split pins kept wheels on for centuries that way,

I have _never_ seen a split pin holding a wheel on (and believe me,
I've looked) on any person-carrying vehicle.

Taper gibs once held wheels on, and these gibs were locked with a
split pin.

Nuts now hold wheels (or usually bearing races) in place, and these
nuts are locked with a split pin.

In both cases though, the split pin isn't the thing holding the wheel
in place. Biggest thing I've seen where it was (on its own) were
railway station luggage trolleys. For anything bigger, a split pin
isn't the intended retainer, even if TNP does pop up in a minute to
tell us about his old Mini.

The reason is most likely that split pins don't allow adjustment of
end-float and even in Georgian times, this was recognised as a
necessity. I've been looking for bare split pins as retainers for a
few years now (I have an exciting life) and still can't find an
example.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Andy Dingley writes
On Nov 9, 5:50*pm, "Spamlet" wrote:

[...]

Fair few around your farm. Admittedly mostly on low speed limited
movement machinery and backed by a washer.

My bale elevator, welding transformer, bale accumulator for three:-)

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

The reason is most likely that split pins don't allow adjustment of
end-float and even in Georgian times, this was recognised as a
necessity. I've been looking for bare split pins as retainers for a
few years now (I have an exciting life) and still can't find an
example.

I think I saw a pram that did many years ago, it wasn't quite bare as it
held a washer on, then the wheel.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Nov 10, 8:17*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

The reason is most likely that split pins don't allow adjustment of
end-float and even in Georgian times, this was recognised as a
necessity. I've been looking for bare split pins as retainers for a
few years now (I have an exciting life) and still can't find an
example.

I think I saw a pram that did many years ago, it wasn't quite bare as it
held a washer on, then the wheel.

My go cart I had as a kid was definitely a "person carrying vehicle".

MBQ

What are they called? The Medway Handyman[_3_] UK diy 10 November 8th 10 09:51 AM
what's it called? willshak Home Repair 1 January 3rd 10 11:38 PM
What are these called and where can I buy them? MikeB[_3_] Home Repair 19 December 26th 07 09:48 PM
What is this called?? crmay Home Repair 3 December 31st 05 05:15 PM
Ummm ... just removed some wallpaper and ... al UK diy 17 March 7th 05 08:58 AM