Posted to uk.d-i-y
Spamlet Spamlet is offline

Default Ummm, what are they called?

"GB" wrote in message
brass monkey wrote:
Easiest way is to cut their circumference with a pair of side
cutters. Once they're no longer a ring, they lose much retention
ability. If you cut them twice, they fall in half.

Before some other smartarse says it, thirds surely

Correction, too much booze. LOL.

Surely, thirds would require 3 cuts?

Anyway, I couldn't get hold of one but manage to make a hole in the shaft
and used a washer plus a bent piece of metal to hold it on. Proper bodge
job, but it seems to be working.

Well split pins kept wheels on for centuries that way, so I'd say you were
in with a good chance if you had the tools to make the hole. (And if you
lost the original retainer, that obviously wasn't a very good method in the
first place.)