Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Using flexible connector to connect toilet to outlet pipe which isnot directly behind toilet?

In our downstairs cloakroom we've got an old style S-trap two piece
toilet (which has a rather unattractive plastic cistern).
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4067/...e3f2194b_m.jpg
Unfortunately the base has cracked and is leaking.
I would like to replace the whole thing with something more modern.
However the actual waste outlet pipe is not directly behind the toilet
but is at approx 45 degrees as you can see in this picture.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4017/...a5df3677_m.jpg
If I replace it with something more modern like we have upstairs, ie
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/...d16b1976_m.jpg
will I be able to connect the waste from the toilet to the outlet pipe
using a flexible connector or would it be possible to connect it using
a solid pipe?
I don't particularly mind if it doesn't look great as I'll probably
box it in.
Is there a danger that the flexible connector will smell as it's
concertina structure means some waste will stay in the pipe?
What's the maximum length connector pipe you can get?
Any advice appreciated?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:13:37 -0700, johnboy wibbled:

[...]

Your physical setup looks rather like mine, in that the waste comes up in
the corner:

http://photos.dionic.net/v/public/bu...25952.jpg.html

You see that white adaptor on the back of the bog? It took a bit of
finding, but IIRC, they did a male version too, that could be cut down
(shortened) and would plug straight into the rising elbow.

I'm not sure if that would be a short enough arrangment to avoid pushing
your loo over to one side too far - but if you imagine the white bit
plugging into the grey bit more or less just where the white bit bends,
that's probably the best you could achieve with that solution.

It would also push your new loo forward - but just enough to clear the
potential boxing in round the back if that were not a problem.

Nice thing with my parts is that it's 110mm all the way to the bog spigot
so less chance of blockages.

Now - onto flexibles... If you hunt around google for "pan connector"
there are dozens of variations, many being flexible types with the
possibility to combine fixed and flexible to meet your needs.

eg: http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?
action=detail&fh_secondid=9270930&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266881099

My feeling is that preformed will give you tighter bends, so you might be
able to do something with:

http://www.drainageonline.co.uk/wast...onnectors/pan-
connectors/bent-flexible-pan-connector.htm?
utm_source=Drainage&utm_medium=Froogle&utm_campaig n=Shopping

This might be an option too:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p23824

Along with a 90 degree down bend.

The above looks long but will withstand shortening, at least on one like
it I had where the rubb fins could be slid along and the pipe cut back.

As for smells: no - the u trap in the loo will sort that out (the pipe is
lined with turds at the best of times anyway, especially old iron pipes).
But, I do wonder if they are more prone to blockages or not?...

HTH

--
Tim Watts

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:13:37 -0700, johnboy wibbled:

Is there a danger that the flexible connector will smell as it's
concertina structure means some waste will stay in the pipe?

As for smells: no - the u trap in the loo will sort that out (the pipe is
lined with turds at the best of times anyway, especially old iron pipes).

The U trap will stop gases coming up the pipe, but I assumed the OP was
talking about odours permeating through the pipe wall. This is not
something I'd dismiss out of hand - it's a well-known problem on boat
toilets, for instance, which use flexible hose all the way. The
consensus there is to avoid cheap thin-walled hose, always pump
everything right through so none lays in the pipe, and expect to replace
the hose eventually anyway.

I have no experience of the flexible domestic connectors so I don't know
if the issue applies there or not.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 14, 9:13*pm, johnboy wrote:

Any advice appreciated?

As well as that given by others, also look at swivel pan connectors.

MBQ

Toilet Pan Connector Jimbo1982 UK diy 5 April 24th 09 07:54 PM
Should a sink outlet run into the rainwater/gutter system or into the toilet sewage pipe 405 TD Estate UK diy 3 November 5th 07 09:56 AM
new toilet pan connector Tiger Zero UK diy 5 September 27th 05 11:19 AM
Toilet Flexible Connector Issues Help! Quddus UK diy 12 January 12th 04 04:32 PM
32mm flexible pipe for toilet Scott UK diy 4 August 11th 03 12:49 PM