Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Toilet Pan Connector

Hi,

I am replacing a toilet which goes in to what appears to be an
asbestos soil pipe I have a few questions. Initially can I say that I
can't realistically replace the soil pipe with a PVC one as it goes
through a newly refurbished extension.

1. Will a standard pan connector create a water tight seal on an
asbestos soil pipe.

2. The diameter of the waste pipe is 120mm where it appears all pan
connectors sold in DIY shops are 110mm, are there any suggestions. Can
I get away with a 110mm connector and Plumbers Maite?

3. I have to cut the pipe back a little 3" what should I use to cut
through the pipe and what safety precautions should I take

If there is are other suggestions I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance,

James
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Jimbo1982
saying something like:

3. I have to cut the pipe back a little 3" what should I use to cut
through the pipe and what safety precautions should I take

Hacksaw.

Not being hysterical.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 20 Apr, 21:49, Jimbo1982 wrote:
Hi,

I am replacing a toilet which goes in to what appears to be an
asbestos soil pipe I have a few questions. Initially can I say that I
can't realistically replace the soil pipe with a PVC one as it goes
through a newly refurbished extension.

1. Will a standard pan connector create a water tight seal on an
asbestos soil pipe.

2. The diameter of the waste pipe is 120mm where it appears all pan
connectors sold in DIY shops are 110mm, are there any suggestions. Can
I get away with a 110mm connector and Plumbers Maite?

is 120mm the outer or inner diameter ?
finned pan connectors seal to the *inside* of the pipe so as long as
that is similar to the ID of 110mm plastic (pass- I'm not dressed
yet!) I wouldn'texpect a problem..

jim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

120mm is the outer diameter. Can't see the inner diameter until a do
the job.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jimbo1982" wrote

Hi,

I am replacing a toilet which goes in to what appears to be an
asbestos soil pipe I have a few questions. Initially can I say that I
can't realistically replace the soil pipe with a PVC one as it goes
through a newly refurbished extension.

1. Will a standard pan connector create a water tight seal on an
asbestos soil pipe.

2. The diameter of the waste pipe is 120mm where it appears all pan
connectors sold in DIY shops are 110mm, are there any suggestions. Can
I get away with a 110mm connector and Plumbers Maite?

3. I have to cut the pipe back a little 3" what should I use to cut
through the pipe and what safety precautions should I take

If there is are other suggestions I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance,

James

Some good info here on working with asbestos http://www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/

phil

Posted to uk.d-i-y
jim jim is offline

On 21 Apr, 08:44, Jimbo1982 wrote:
120mm is the outer diameter. Can't see the inner diameter until a do
the job.

ah - when you find out post back onto this thread so future
unfortunates get the answer!

ISTR other asbestos reinforced stuff (troughing, toof sheet is maybe
5mm thick - pipes may be a bit thicker to "survive" longer so you may
be ok - last chance saloon would be a rubber coupling (with "jubille"
clips at each end) - most builders merchants have a selection..
cheers
jim