Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Preventing leaks at toilet pan connector

I dismantled one of ours today as there was a slight leak from around
the joint between the pan connector and the toilet output. Couldn't
see any particular reason for the leak, but have bought a new
connector to be safe, and have thoroughly cleaned up the toilet
output.

Question - what's the preferred way of mounting these connectors, to
minimise the risk of another leak? I'm sure I've just done it 'dry'
in the past, but is it reckoned to be best to apply a thin coat of
silicone grease? or of silicon sealant? or not?

Thanks
David

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:

I dismantled one of ours today as there was a slight leak from around
the joint between the pan connector and the toilet output. Couldn't
see any particular reason for the leak, but have bought a new
connector to be safe, and have thoroughly cleaned up the toilet
output.

Question - what's the preferred way of mounting these connectors, to
minimise the risk of another leak? I'm sure I've just done it 'dry'
in the past, but is it reckoned to be best to apply a thin coat of
silicone grease? or of silicon sealant? or not?

Thanks
David

The professionals probably have better techniques but I've always used
washing up liquid on sanitary joints.
( 'Fairy liquid ' as it seems consistently thicker .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
I dismantled one of ours today as there was a slight leak from around
the joint between the pan connector and the toilet output. Couldn't
see any particular reason for the leak, but have bought a new
connector to be safe, and have thoroughly cleaned up the toilet
output.

Question - what's the preferred way of mounting these connectors, to
minimise the risk of another leak? I'm sure I've just done it 'dry'
in the past, but is it reckoned to be best to apply a thin coat of
silicone grease? or of silicon sealant? or not?

Silicone spray simply helps get the connectors to push in easily. If they
don't line up 100% straight to each other they can leak. Plumbers Mait is
the answer.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
I dismantled one of ours today as there was a slight leak from around
the joint between the pan connector and the toilet output. Couldn't
see any particular reason for the leak, but have bought a new
connector to be safe, and have thoroughly cleaned up the toilet
output.

Question - what's the preferred way of mounting these connectors, to
minimise the risk of another leak? I'm sure I've just done it 'dry'
in the past, but is it reckoned to be best to apply a thin coat of
silicone grease? or of silicon sealant? or not?

They often say to lubricate only with washing up liquid for assembly. I
expect that this is to ensure than inappropriate greases are not used
that may perish the rubber. Personally I always use silicone grease
since it makes assembly much simpler, and also serves as a non setting
seal to keep it waterproof.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Lobster wrote:
I dismantled one of ours today as there was a slight leak from around
the joint between the pan connector and the toilet output. Couldn't
see any particular reason for the leak, but have bought a new
connector to be safe, and have thoroughly cleaned up the toilet
output.

Question - what's the preferred way of mounting these connectors, to
minimise the risk of another leak? I'm sure I've just done it 'dry'
in the past, but is it reckoned to be best to apply a thin coat of
silicone grease? or of silicon sealant? or not?

Thanks
David

Well I ended up lifting the rim of the rubber collar and filling it with
silicone .. like nearly all bits of plumbing you buy, apart from
soldered copper joints, the bits never ever seem to work as they should.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Lobster wrote:
I dismantled one of ours today as there was a slight leak from around
the joint between the pan connector and the toilet output. Couldn't
see any particular reason for the leak, but have bought a new
connector to be safe, and have thoroughly cleaned up the toilet
output.

Question - what's the preferred way of mounting these connectors, to
minimise the risk of another leak? I'm sure I've just done it 'dry'
in the past, but is it reckoned to be best to apply a thin coat of
silicone grease? or of silicon sealant? or not?

Thanks
David

Well I ended up lifting the rim of the rubber collar and filling it
with silicone .. like nearly all bits of plumbing you buy, apart from
soldered copper joints, the bits never ever seem to work as they
should.

Plumbing is still in its infancy IMO.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman