Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete Verdon Pete Verdon is offline

Default Using flexible connector to connect toilet to outlet pipe whichis not directly behind toilet?

Tim Watts wrote:
On Mon, 14 Jun 2010 13:13:37 -0700, johnboy wibbled:

Is there a danger that the flexible connector will smell as it's
concertina structure means some waste will stay in the pipe?

As for smells: no - the u trap in the loo will sort that out (the pipe is
lined with turds at the best of times anyway, especially old iron pipes).

The U trap will stop gases coming up the pipe, but I assumed the OP was
talking about odours permeating through the pipe wall. This is not
something I'd dismiss out of hand - it's a well-known problem on boat
toilets, for instance, which use flexible hose all the way. The
consensus there is to avoid cheap thin-walled hose, always pump
everything right through so none lays in the pipe, and expect to replace
the hose eventually anyway.

I have no experience of the flexible domestic connectors so I don't know
if the issue applies there or not.

Pete