Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default greasing sds drills

Hi,

SDS newbie question: I bought a cheap sds drill from Screwfix. It says
on the top to check the grease level regularly but it doesn't say how
often to check or how full it should be. I was chiseling some chases
and when I looked after, it appeared empty. I filled it to the brim
with grease and did more chasing and the walls got covered in grease!
So is it that these will spit if overfilled? What is the right level
to fill to and how often should you check: before every job?

I see that there is a rod in the bottom: is the important thing to
keep that covered? Is that the hammer mechanism?

It can be quite tiring using a 6kg drill to chisel, and now that I
appreciate what sds can do, I think I might look for a 2kg drill. It
seems that some of these can pack as big a punch as the 6kg drills. I
notice that the branded 2kg drills do not need grease, why do the 6kg
ones?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 May, 10:00, Fred wrote:

SDS newbie question: I bought a cheap sds drill from Screwfix. It says
on the top to check the grease level regularly but it doesn't say how
often to check or how full it should be.

I keep a small syringe full of grease (just bike grease) in the drill
box. If drill bits look dry (or dirty, in which case I wipe them
first) I place a tiny drop on each of the four splines on the
drillbit. I've never greased the drill (machine) itself, nor does it
need to be "filled".

You're lubricating the slideways, and on an SDS these are the bit
rather than the main mechanism. You don't need to grease the impact
face: that's not sliding sideways, and (as you discovered) you'll get
the grease pumped out and everywhere.

I suspect your instructions have suffered a little in translation.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Fred wrote:
[...]

I got one of these http://tinyurl.com/39e6yon (link goes to ebay) and it's
brilliant, highly recommended. I usually grease the bit of the bit that goes
in the chuck IYSWIM )

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/05/10 10:33, Andy Dingley wrote:
On 11 May, 10:00, wrote:

SDS newbie question: I bought a cheap sds drill from Screwfix. It says
on the top to check the grease level regularly but it doesn't say how
often to check or how full it should be.

I keep a small syringe full of grease (just bike grease) in the drill
box. If drill bits look dry (or dirty, in which case I wipe them
first) I place a tiny drop on each of the four splines on the
drillbit. I've never greased the drill (machine) itself, nor does it
need to be "filled".

My technique is to have a "mouldy" pot of LM grease (ie rough jobs, not
for packing bearings) - I dip the end of the drill in about 1/2" then
wipe the sides off on the pot leaving a bit in the grooves.

As for the machine, my Hitachi mentions greasing the mechanism as a
maintenance item, but the knowledgeable shopkeeper said it almost never
needed to be done as the grease is normally good for life in practise.
It's not really a "user" job - involves taking the machine to bits.

--
Tim Watts

Hung parliament? Rather have a hanged parliament.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Fred writes:
[...]

There are two things that need grease - the back of the bits where
they go into the SDS chuck, and the gearbox.

On my metabo, the chuck nose is rubber and you must use a grease
which doesn't rot the rubber. (I got that wrong to start with, but
they very nicely sent me a new chuck for free, as it should have
come with the correct grease but it was missing.)

Topping up the gearbox grease isn't possible with all SDS. I'm
wondering if yours deliberately leaks the gearbox grease onto the
back of the bit? In mine, the gearbox has no provision for user
topping up, but you can send it back to Metabo for a service. I
haven't needed to in 10 years as yet (excluding it having to go
back when it was brand new for two faults), although it's
probably about due now. However, this is a professional SDS drill
which I bought before the DIY products existed.

I'd agree on the weight issue. Mine's 2.something kg which is not
a problem to use for a long time. Unless you're built like Arnie,
the heavier ones are tiring. In 10 years, there are only two times
when it would have been nice to have a more powerful one, and the
rest of the time, not.

--
Andrew Gabriel

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 May 2010 10:28:11 +0000 (UTC),
(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

There are two things that need grease - the back of the bits where
they go into the SDS chuck, and the gearbox.

[...]
Topping up the gearbox grease isn't possible with all SDS. I'm
wondering if yours deliberately leaks the gearbox grease onto the
back of the bit?

I was talking about greasing the gearbox but I notice that all the
other replies have talked about greasing the bits. I never knew that I
was supposed to grease them, but then I did declare myself an sds
newbie :-)

I think the bits do come out with grease on them, though I hadn't
realised it was a design feature!

The drill is a Screwfix Titan like this:
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/88854/...SDS-Plus-Drill

On the enlarged photo, you can see an array of slots on the front of
the blue bit and a slot on the side where the blue plastic half meets
the metal top half. Grease seems to be ejected from these. The lid for
the gearbox is the black circle nearest the handle.

Does the gearbox drive just the hammer action or also the rotation?
I'm wondering whether it is the hammering that eats the grease?

I'd agree on the weight issue. Mine's 2.something kg which is not
a problem to use for a long time. Unless you're built like Arnie,
the heavier ones are tiring. In 10 years, there are only two times
when it would have been nice to have a more powerful one, and the
rest of the time, not.

Although this is a 6kg drill, the figures for drilling capacity are
not that different to a blue bosch that weighs just 2kg, though I
notice the impact energy is claimed to be a respectable 4J.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

[...]

That would be a faulty seal on the gearbox input, although I
would question if you're supposed to completely fill the gearbox.

The lid for the gearbox is the black circle nearest the handle.

Does the gearbox drive just the hammer action or also the rotation?

A drill gearbox always needs reduction gearing as the universal
motors they use spin too fast for direct coupling, and the torque
gain is also important. In this case, it also needs to change the
drive shaft direction through 90 degrees, and in many cases, it
provides alternative gear ratios too, and sometimes a reverse
gear.

I'm wondering whether it is the hammering that eats the grease?

Depends where it leaks from (probably not in your case).

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 May 2010 23:10:42 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

If you are upgrading look for one with a decent speed controller, and a
chuck that allows the chisel to be rotated to a position of your choice
and then locked. That way you can align chisel with a direction you want
to cut, and also start and markout with it at low revs before going full
whack.

Yes, I have found that getting the chisel where I want it is not
always as simple as it could be. I also find that the sizes of chisel
available are limited.

I think you can only get 25mm and 40mm wide chisels, but I guess if
the chisel was wider you would be distributing the impact force over a
wider area so it wouldn't be as effective?

The chisel bits seem to be about a foot long but I sometimes wish you
could get slightly longer ones for when you are chiselling the floor
and slightly shorter ones when you are chiselling the wall to be
kinder on your back. Is the reason you can't get shorter ones to keep
you at a safe distance and stop ejected material hitting you?

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to Fred, Spannerman wrote:
Fred, The Titan is the new version of the old Challenger model. I've had my
Challenger for nigh on 20 years and used very regularly and still going. I
have found Makita Hammer Grease the best. I have attached image of the user
manual, it suggests to check level every 6 hours use, I have found that to be
excessive every 40 hours of use should be sufficient. Over filling will
result in excess grease ejected via the chuck. Hope this helps.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/jv

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 October 2019 15:14:05 UTC+1, Spannerman wrote:
replying to Fred, Spannerman wrote:

Fred, The Titan is the new version of the old Challenger model. I've had my
Challenger for nigh on 20 years and used very regularly and still going. I
have found Makita Hammer Grease the best. I have attached image of the user
manual, it suggests to check level every 6 hours use, I have found that to be
excessive every 40 hours of use should be sufficient. Over filling will
result in excess grease ejected via the chuck. Hope this helps.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/jv

I'm sure this reply 9 years later is most helpful. Use a saner portal to get here & this problem won't happen. Here is news:uk.d-i-y

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

(Andrew Gabriel) wrote:

[...]

You can put too much grease in a gearbox. If you, do there will be excessive pressure as it runs and the grease is likely to come out somewhere unwanted.
There needs to be grease on the moving parts, not jam packed full.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Can you redo the link or give us the name of the product you talking about as the link is broken :/ Thanks

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ls-631096-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnDoe wrote

Can you redo the link or give us the name of the product you talking about
as the link is broken :/ Thanks

Unlikely to still be around after 11 years.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...ls-631096-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Sun, 16 May 2021 03:54:24 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

JohnDoe wrote

Can you redo the link or give us the name of the product you talking about
as the link is broken :/ Thanks

Unlikely to still be around after 11 years.

But VERY likely that you trolling senile asshole will comment on it anyway!
tsk

"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnDoe wrote:
Can you redo the link or give us the name of the product you talking
about as the link is broken :/ Thanks

You can dig up a link as follows.

"I got one of these http://tinyurl.com/39e6yon (link goes to ebay) and it's
brilliant, highly recommended. I usually grease the bit of the bit that goes
in the chuck IYSWIM ) "

Edit the original URL:

http://tinyurl.com/39e6yon

like this:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/39e6yon

and you will see what the link said.

A similar item is this.

https://www.wellyweld.com/products/d...40v-72744.aspx

No, I can't see the Ebay page, I just got the link value and
found a similar one.

And be careful what you use those on. Some people
who use hammer drills, they "lean on them like they're
a jack hammer". Not all the things you're drilling
through, can take that kind of abuse. Sometimes
you just have to shut off the hammer, stop leaning
on the tool, and drill your way through. Using
a fresh bit. If you're "riding it like a pony",
that's hard on the drill too.

Paul
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 17:01, JohnDoe wrote:

Can you redo the link or give us the name of the product you talking
about as the link is broken :/ Thanks

Could you give us a clue to what you are referring to? Even looking at
the mangled home owners hub history, all the original thread structure
has been lost, so it's no clear.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Surely rather than attempting to resurrect an old thread, there has to be a
wiki somewhere on this sort of thing by now.
Brian

The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 15/05/2021 17:01, JohnDoe wrote:

Can you redo the link or give us the name of the product you talking
about as the link is broken :/ Thanks

Could you give us a clue to what you are referring to? Even looking at the
mangled home owners hub history, all the original thread structure has
been lost, so it's no clear.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2021 23:45, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/05/2021 17:01, JohnDoe wrote:

Can you redo the link or give us the name of the product you talking
about as the link is broken :/ Thanks

Could you give us a clue to what you are referring to? Even looking at
the mangled home owners hub history, all the original thread structure
has been lost, so it's no clear.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

I think he is looking for the grease that you should put on
the sds drill bit 'splines' as you slide it into the drill.
I just use CV joint grease. You should be able to blag some
from a friendly garage.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 15/05/2021 20:54, Paul wrote:
JohnDoe wrote:
Can you redo the link or give us the name of the product you talking
about as the link is broken :/ Thanks

You can dig up a link as follows.

Â*Â* "I got one of these http://tinyurl.com/39e6yon (link goes to ebay)
and it's
Â*Â*Â* brilliant, highly recommended. I usually grease the bit of the bit
that goes
Â*Â*Â* in the chuck IYSWIMÂ* ) "

Edit the original URL:

Â*Â* http://tinyurl.com/39e6yon

like this:

Â*Â* http://preview.tinyurl.com/39e6yon

and you will see what the link said.

A similar item is this.

https://www.wellyweld.com/products/d...40v-72744.aspx

No, I can't see the Ebay page, I just got the link value and
found a similar one.

Very interesting. Thanks

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2021 14:12, Andrew wrote:
On 15/05/2021 23:45, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/05/2021 17:01, JohnDoe wrote:

Can you redo the link or give us the name of the product you talking
about as the link is broken :/ Thanks

Could you give us a clue to what you are referring to? Even looking at
the mangled home owners hub history, all the original thread structure
has been lost, so it's no clear.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

I think he is looking for the grease that you should put on
the sds drill bit 'splines' as you slide it into the drill.
I just use CV joint grease. You should be able to blag some
from a friendly garage.

I thought there was an argument that this just caused grit to enter the
gubbins. I've never greased my elderly DeW 2kg or Titan 4kg - heavily
used and still going strong.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
On 16/05/2021 14:12, Andrew wrote:
On 15/05/2021 23:45, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/05/2021 17:01, JohnDoe wrote:

Can you redo the link or give us the name of the product you talking
about as the link is broken :/ Thanks

Could you give us a clue to what you are referring to? Even looking at
the mangled home owners hub history, all the original thread structure
has been lost, so it's no clear.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

I think he is looking for the grease that you should put on
the sds drill bit 'splines' as you slide it into the drill.
I just use CV joint grease. You should be able to blag some
from a friendly garage.

I thought there was an argument that this just caused grit to enter the
gubbins. I've never greased my elderly DeW 2kg or Titan 4kg - heavily
used and still going strong.

Using my Bosch today, I found it was quite difficult to pull out the bits,
so may be a bit of grease might help?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2021 14:12, Andrew wrote:
On 15/05/2021 23:45, John Rumm wrote:
On 15/05/2021 17:01, JohnDoe wrote:

Can you redo the link or give us the name of the product you talking
about as the link is broken :/ Thanks

Could you give us a clue to what you are referring to? Even looking at
the mangled home owners hub history, all the original thread structure
has been lost, so it's no clear.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Home_owners_hub

I think he is looking for the grease that you should put on
the sds drill bit 'splines' as you slide it into the drill.
I just use CV joint grease. You should be able to blag some
from a friendly garage.

I keep a small tube like:

https://cpc.farnell.com/electrolube/...=grease%20tube

in the drill case. It only requires very occasional use on a drill bit
or chisel shank.

--
Cheers,

John.