Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default greasing sds drills

On Tue, 11 May 2010 23:10:42 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

If you are upgrading look for one with a decent speed controller, and a
chuck that allows the chisel to be rotated to a position of your choice
and then locked. That way you can align chisel with a direction you want
to cut, and also start and markout with it at low revs before going full
whack.

Yes, I have found that getting the chisel where I want it is not
always as simple as it could be. I also find that the sizes of chisel
available are limited.

I think you can only get 25mm and 40mm wide chisels, but I guess if
the chisel was wider you would be distributing the impact force over a
wider area so it wouldn't be as effective?

The chisel bits seem to be about a foot long but I sometimes wish you
could get slightly longer ones for when you are chiselling the floor
and slightly shorter ones when you are chiselling the wall to be
kinder on your back. Is the reason you can't get shorter ones to keep
you at a safe distance and stop ejected material hitting you?

TIA