Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fred Fred is offline

Default greasing sds drills

Hi,

SDS newbie question: I bought a cheap sds drill from Screwfix. It says
on the top to check the grease level regularly but it doesn't say how
often to check or how full it should be. I was chiseling some chases
and when I looked after, it appeared empty. I filled it to the brim
with grease and did more chasing and the walls got covered in grease!
So is it that these will spit if overfilled? What is the right level
to fill to and how often should you check: before every job?

I see that there is a rod in the bottom: is the important thing to
keep that covered? Is that the hammer mechanism?

It can be quite tiring using a 6kg drill to chisel, and now that I
appreciate what sds can do, I think I might look for a 2kg drill. It
seems that some of these can pack as big a punch as the 6kg drills. I
notice that the branded 2kg drills do not need grease, why do the 6kg
ones?

TIA