Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley Andy Dingley is offline

Default greasing sds drills

On 11 May, 10:00, Fred wrote:

SDS newbie question: I bought a cheap sds drill from Screwfix. It says
on the top to check the grease level regularly but it doesn't say how
often to check or how full it should be.

I keep a small syringe full of grease (just bike grease) in the drill
box. If drill bits look dry (or dirty, in which case I wipe them
first) I place a tiny drop on each of the four splines on the
drillbit. I've never greased the drill (machine) itself, nor does it
need to be "filled".

You're lubricating the slideways, and on an SDS these are the bit
rather than the main mechanism. You don't need to grease the impact
face: that's not sliding sideways, and (as you discovered) you'll get
the grease pumped out and everywhere.

I suspect your instructions have suffered a little in translation.