Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Greasing oliver lathe

Hi all
I have an old oliver 159 wood lathe that has been sitting a few years.
When I get it put back together,I want to grease the spindle.
How much grease should I pump in it.(how many pumps of the grease
gun?)
I was planing on using a hand heald pump type grease gun.
I supose a general chassis, wheel bearing grease like you get at an
auto parts store would be OK.
How often should this be done?
Thanks, Tony
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Nov 27, 8:12 pm, " wrote:
Hi all
I have an old oliver 159 wood lathe that has been sitting a few years.
When I get it put back together,I want to grease the spindle.
How much grease should I pump in it.(how many pumps of the grease
gun?)

Hi, Tony. This could be a harder question than you think. I have
seen some of those old timer with pillow block bearings on them with
grease fittings on top, and some with simple race bearings sitting
(machine fitted) inside a cast iron headstock. So, unless someone
knows that lathe, you may be up against it.

Personally, I would start here and see what they say. If nothing
else, they can tell you what grease to buy and probably how much to
put in it.

http://www.odiewhitemachinery.com

Many years ago I saw a metal lathe used to turn crankshafts true at a
machine shop. The guy that ran the lathe knew the bearings leaked
(they were not sealed) and he put about a half squirt of grease in the
fittings every time he turned a crankshaft. When that thing was
overfilled, it slung grease everywhere. Not so bad in an auto shop,
but it would be disaster in a wood shop.

Good luck!

Robert
Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote in message
Hi all
I have an old oliver 159 wood lathe that has been sitting a few years.
When I get it put back together,I want to grease the spindle.
How much grease should I pump in it.(how many pumps of the grease
gun?)
I was planing on using a hand heald pump type grease gun.
I supose a general chassis, wheel bearing grease like you get at an
auto parts store would be OK.
How often should this be done?
Thanks, Tony

One supposes that if they are greased rather than oiled, the standard
squeeze for effect would be the method. When it shows stop, wipe, rotate,
wipe. I'd get the low throw kind rather than the chassis grease, and do it
every 25-50 hours.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Joe Joe is offline

wrote in message
Hi all
I have an old oliver 159 wood lathe that has been sitting a few years.
When I get it put back together,I want to grease the spindle.
How much grease should I pump in it.(how many pumps of the grease
gun?)
I was planing on using a hand heald pump type grease gun.
I supose a general chassis, wheel bearing grease like you get at an
auto parts store would be OK.
How often should this be done?
Thanks, Tony

tony, another place to ask would be www.owwm.com

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Tony are you sure the lathe needs grease ???
Lathes I'm familiar with used oil, even new ones often use oil baths
for the bearings, of course I don't know your specific lathe.
Just a heads-up and question, :-)

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum4.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

On Nov 27, 9:12 pm, " wrote:
Hi all
I have an old oliver 159 wood lathe that has been sitting a few years.
When I get it put back together,I want to grease the spindle.
How much grease should I pump in it.(how many pumps of the grease
gun?)
I was planing on using a hand heald pump type grease gun.
I supose a general chassis, wheel bearing grease like you get at an
auto parts store would be OK.
How often should this be done?
Thanks, Tony

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

wrote in message
Hi all
I have an old oliver 159 wood lathe that has been sitting a few years.
When I get it put back together,I want to grease the spindle.
How much grease should I pump in it.(how many pumps of the grease
gun?)
I was planing on using a hand heald pump type grease gun.
I supose a general chassis, wheel bearing grease like you get at an
auto parts store would be OK.
How often should this be done?
Thanks, Tony

3 or 4 pumps to the spindle end should be enough, the excess will come out
around the spindle nose. The middle fitting should get a couple pumps in
the stop position and at full speed position. It lubricates the rear
bearing and the housing it sits in (which is what moves when you turn the
speed selector). The excess ends up inside. The fitting on the shaft at
the back should get only one pump. This feeds the Reeves-like drive and any
excess ends up on the belt!

I give the spindle end a pump or two evey ten hours of run time. Cut that
in half for the center fitting. The shaft fitting gets a pump every 40 or
50 hours.

If your selector does not move easily it's because the small ball bearing
follower under the selector cover is probably worn out. Remove the large
bolt holding the selector on and remove it; you'll find the bearing that
follows the spiral track on the back of the selector. Replace it (I found a
replacement at my local hardware store) and your selector will move very
easily.

Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

On Dec 19, 1:38 pm, "thangles" wrote:
wrote in message

[...]

Ok Good deal, thanks for the replies, IIRC mine only has the one
fitting in the middle of the headstock,
I'll have to look at it again.
Tony