Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
thangles thangles is offline

Default Greasing oliver lathe

wrote in message
Hi all
I have an old oliver 159 wood lathe that has been sitting a few years.
When I get it put back together,I want to grease the spindle.
How much grease should I pump in it.(how many pumps of the grease
gun?)
I was planing on using a hand heald pump type grease gun.
I supose a general chassis, wheel bearing grease like you get at an
auto parts store would be OK.
How often should this be done?
Thanks, Tony

3 or 4 pumps to the spindle end should be enough, the excess will come out
around the spindle nose. The middle fitting should get a couple pumps in
the stop position and at full speed position. It lubricates the rear
bearing and the housing it sits in (which is what moves when you turn the
speed selector). The excess ends up inside. The fitting on the shaft at
the back should get only one pump. This feeds the Reeves-like drive and any
excess ends up on the belt!

I give the spindle end a pump or two evey ten hours of run time. Cut that
in half for the center fitting. The shaft fitting gets a pump every 40 or
50 hours.

If your selector does not move easily it's because the small ball bearing
follower under the selector cover is probably worn out. Remove the large
bolt holding the selector on and remove it; you'll find the bearing that
follows the spiral track on the back of the selector. Replace it (I found a
replacement at my local hardware store) and your selector will move very
easily.