Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Damp problems with fitted wardrobe

Any advice on how to sort this? I have a built in wardrobe on an
external wall - the clothes in which naturally hang only a few inches
from said external wall. Despite having two large external air vents
in the wall on one side of the wardrobe, I'm suffering from damp
problems (mould on the wall, and damp wet feeling transferring from
the wall to the clothes). Obvious answer is to rebuild the wardrobe on
an internal wall which is possible but requires significant work. The
house is kept at a relative 14°C minimum when we're out and nearer
18°C when in. And windows are opened daily to reduce any moisture in
the atmosphere. Help please....! I've tried lightening the load in the
wardrobe but this has made some, although little difference. The
problem still exists.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 12:04:05 -0800 (PST), Bear
wrote:

Help please....! I've tried lightening the load in the
wardrobe but this has made some, although little difference. The
problem still exists.

Line the wardrobe with polystyrene ceiling tiles. Put ventilation in
the doors so the wardrobes are at room temperature. If the external
vents you mention vent into the wardrobe that will be a major factor
in causing the damp and they should be blocked. If needed for other
reasons (such as open gas fires) reinstate them somewhere else.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Peter Parry
writes
wrote:

Help please....! I've tried lightening the load in the
wardrobe but this has made some, although little difference. The
problem still exists.

Line the wardrobe with polystyrene ceiling tiles. Put ventilation in
the doors so the wardrobes are at room temperature. If the external
vents you mention vent into the wardrobe that will be a major factor
in causing the damp and they should be blocked. If needed for other
reasons (such as open gas fires) reinstate them somewhere else.

I used the foil lined polystyrene sheets designed to go behind radiators
- that seems to have worked well.

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bear laid this down on his screen :
Despite having two large external air vents
in the wall on one side of the wardrobe,

Which is the cause of your problem.

I'm suffering from damp
problems (mould on the wall, and damp wet feeling transferring from
the wall to the clothes).

Warm air in the house is getting into the cold wardrobe and condensing.
The wardrobe needs the vents diverted to either vent directly into the
room, or blocked off, but either way the wardrobe need more ventilation
from the warmth of the room to bring it to the same temperature.

Another way would be to add some form of heating in there - maybe a
loop of pipe from the heating system passing through it would be
enough.

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Many thanks for the responses. Yes the vents do conduct cold air
directly from outside into the wardrobe space. I've been told that I
need these left open for air flow - although am I right in thinking
that the air flow must be warm, not cold? Why would someone have been
so stupid as to vent cold air directly into the wardrobe?

The wardrobe is a built-in type with sliding doors. Would I be best to
fit polystyrene ceiling tiles to the insides of the doors or the wall?

Thanks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 05:13:51 -0800 (PST), Bear
wrote:

Many thanks for the responses. Yes the vents do conduct cold air
directly from outside into the wardrobe space. I've been told that I
need these left open for air flow - although am I right in thinking
that the air flow must be warm, not cold?

You need airflow at room temperature, otherwise warm air (which can
hold more moisture than cold air) enters through gaps in the doors or
when you open the doors and the moisture in the warm air condenses
onto the cold clothes and wall.

Why would someone have been
so stupid as to vent cold air directly into the wardrobe?

They were probably already there when the wardrobe was built and
whoever was building it didn't close them off. Did the room
originally have a fireplace or gas fire in it?

The wardrobe is a built-in type with sliding doors. Would I be best to
fit polystyrene ceiling tiles to the insides of the doors or the wall?

The wall. The wall will be the coldest part even after blocking the
air vents so to minimise condensation you need to insulate it so the
surface temperature of the wardrobe side of the insulation layer is at
room temperature. You don't want any insulation on the doors as you
want heat from the room to get in.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bear wrote on 23/02/2010 :
I've been told that I
need these left open for air flow - although am I right in thinking
that the air flow must be warm, not cold?

It the days when houses lacked central heating and had open fires, yes
they were needed. Now with central heating and proper controlled
ventilation, cooker hoods etc. they are not needed so much. We had four
in one wall (four rooms) and a fifth in another wall. All were blocked
up about 25 years ago during a major refurb.

Why would someone have been
so stupid as to vent cold air directly into the wardrobe?

Who would be so stupid as to build a wardrobe over the vents?

--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 23, 1:13*pm, Bear wrote:
Many thanks for the responses. Yes the vents do conduct cold air
directly from outside into the wardrobe space. I've been told that I
need these left open for air flow - although am I right in thinking
that the air flow must be warm, not cold? Why would someone have been
so stupid as to vent cold air directly into the wardrobe?

The wardrobe is a built-in type with sliding doors. Would I be best to
fit polystyrene ceiling tiles to the insides of the doors or the wall?

Thanks

just insulate the external wall. No point insualting anything else

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

NT wrote:

On Feb 23, 1:13*pm, Bear wrote:
Many thanks for the responses. Yes the vents do conduct cold air
directly from outside into the wardrobe space. I've been told that I
need these left open for air flow - although am I right in thinking
that the air flow must be warm, not cold? Why would someone have been
so stupid as to vent cold air directly into the wardrobe?

The wardrobe is a built-in type with sliding doors. Would I be best to
fit polystyrene ceiling tiles to the insides of the doors or the wall?

just insulate the external wall. No point insualting anything else

Might it be a good idea, if practical, to provide some
ventilation between the wardrobe and the room?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.

Plans / ideas for fitted wardrobe? Lobster UK diy 3 October 1st 06 06:48 PM
Fitted Wardrobe for Alcove shoog UK diy 3 October 18th 05 07:37 AM
Fitted wardrobe mitre joints jg UK diy 10 June 27th 05 12:02 AM
DIY Fitted Wardrobe hotshot UK diy 0 January 29th 05 08:43 PM
Fitted wardrobe companies - recommendations James Taylor UK diy 0 February 3rd 04 10:21 PM