Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are you the homeowner?

In message , Rod
writes
On 14/02/2010 20:34, Pete Verdon wrote:
geoff wrote:

No other language on the planet is so well blessed with meaningful
words of abuse as English - use it in all it's expressive glory

I hear that Yiddish can be quite inventive as well.

Pete

Heard a bit about Yiddish a few months ago on Radio 4, just found the
basic story:

Yiddish is still evolving. Many speakers exchange blitspostn on dos
internets (emails on the internet), chat on their tselkes (mobile
phones) and even use shmekldekers (condoms €” from shmekl, the
affectionate diminutive of shmuk[1], and dekn, to cover). Maybe the
battle to keep secular Yiddish alive has indeed been lost. But there
are an estimated half-a-million native speakers of Yiddish of
child-bearing age in the strictly-Orthodox community who are bringing
their children up in Yiddish. Within 50 or so years the language could
once again be the mame-loshn for millions. The future of Yiddish is
safe in their hands.

http://www.thejc.com/lifestyle/lifes...vetchers-guide
-yiddish

[1] In Yiddish, "Schmuck" basically means "jerk," but it originally
meant "penis."

The funny thing about this is that in German, "Schmuck" means
"jewelry."
No etymological relation, even though many Yiddish words have German
origins.

Not thought of the "family jewels" connection then ?

Yes AFAICS - yiddish is *******ised german

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

No other language on the planet is so well blessed with meaningful
words of abuse as English - use it in all it's expressive glory

I hear that Yiddish can be quite inventive as well.

Pete

Heard a bit about Yiddish a few months ago on Radio 4, just found the
basic story:

Yiddish is still evolving. Many speakers exchange blitspostn on dos
internets (emails on the internet), chat on their tselkes (mobile
phones) and even use shmekldekers (condoms Γ’‚¬€ from shmekl, the
[...]

Pidgin german.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
geoff wrote:

[...]

Tauberdeutsch -=there's a new word for you

I prefer the word "*******ised" to be in there somewhere

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2010-02-13, Stuart Noble wrote:
GB wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Good inventive answers please, for the next salesman that knocks at
our door and asks '...are you the home owner?'
Just ask him to wait. Shut the door. Go back to what you were doing. If he
is still there after 10 minutes, I'd make him a cup of tea.

There's no excuse for being rude to people knocking at your door.
Yes there is. They've already been rude to you by intruding on your
personal space and time to try and sell you things.

One's home being one's castle. How deeply entrenched that notion is in
English culture. These days it's more likely to be the bank's castle
anyway.

That's as maybe, but my home is mine; I paid my mortgage off some 5 years
ago.

That's not playing the game. Get a new one to finance your dreams. Dubai
holiday home?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

in 260875 20100215 095703 Huge wrote:

I'm rather old fashioned; I regard being in debt as a bad thing, and like to
pay cash for the things I want, so far as is possible. And if I can't afford
them, then I go without.

The country would be in a considerably better state if it operated the same
way.

That's the way things used to be. I remember when it was necessary to make an
appointment to see the bank manager then grovel to him for a loan of Β£200.

Now I have credit cards with a limit of Β£15000 (and rising).
No wonder there is so much debt.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

michael adams wrote:
Why not learn translations in some foreign language or other for
some choice phrases, and practice them until the accent is near
perfect.

Pick a language that is contrary to your expected ethnicity.

"Chukogo wakarimasen"

Japanese for "I do not understand chinese".

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
****ing tambourine-banging born again christian ******* asking if I've found
god.

What, the one that told its followers to invite their neighbours in
for
a meal, to slaughter them all in their sleep, and steal their land?

JGH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Grimly Curmudgeon" wrote in message
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Mungo \"Two Sheds\" Toadfoot"
saying something like:

worst of the lot, the
****ing tambourine-banging born again christian ******* asking if I've
found
god.

He seems to get lost a lot.

Bless him. Or me, as the case may be.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"jgharston" wrote in message
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot wrote:
****ing tambourine-banging born again christian ******* asking if I've
found
god.

What, the one that told its followers to invite their neighbours in
for
a meal, to slaughter them all in their sleep, and steal their land?

JGH

At least god mk1 had some ********; he was fine with a bit (a lot) of
smiting, but when jeebus came along god plc went all soft and fluffy.
Happens to a lot of hard nuts, I understand.

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 17:46:20 GMT, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:

Good inventive answers please, for the next salesman that knocks at our
door and asks '...are you the home owner?'

Say "yes, can you just mind the kids for half an hour whilst i nip
out", push past them and shout byee as you leg it up the road.

or just start ranting on about gordon brown and how mad he makes you
that he's let all these spivs do the door to door enquiries

or tell them you're a member of the "door privacy service" and he's
incurred a £100 fine for breaching the rules on being allowed to knock
at your door and if he could pay up quickly that'd be great.
--
http://www.Voucherfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk

Homeowner complains... HeyBub Home Repair 3 September 6th 07 12:43 AM
homeowner novice Home Repair 0 June 16th 07 01:25 AM
Best jigsaw for a homeowner... Squanklin Home Repair 14 December 20th 04 09:47 PM
Homeowner Insurance. [email protected] Home Ownership 0 December 17th 04 07:05 PM
Are you a savvy homeowner? Ablang Home Ownership 0 August 10th 04 04:38 AM