Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Boiler scrappage scheme

well I went on the site, entered my make and model of boiler and it so old
it has no grading (but likely to be less that 70% efficient)

But it then requires me to buy from a dealer rather than purchase off the
shelf at B&Q etc.....

so I save £ 400 by getting a rebate, but pay £ 2000 to British Gas for the
privilege.

Anyone found the work around yet?
--
Vass

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:37:35 -0000, "Vass"
wrote:

well I went on the site, entered my make and model of boiler and it so old
it has no grading (but likely to be less that 70% efficient)

But it then requires me to buy from a dealer rather than purchase off the
shelf at B&Q etc.....

so I save £ 400 by getting a rebate, but pay £ 2000 to British Gas for the
privilege.

Anyone found the work around yet?

Do you have a link to the site you mention?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

well I went on the site, entered my make and model of boiler and it so old
it has no grading (but likely to be less that 70% efficient)

But it then requires me to buy from a dealer rather than purchase off the
shelf at B&Q etc.....

so I save £ 400 by getting a rebate, but pay £ 2000 to British Gas for the
privilege.

Anyone found the work around yet?

Do you have a link to the site you mention?

http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/ef...FUgA4wodDzibrQ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 13:42:00 -0000, "Vass"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

well I went on the site, entered my make and model of boiler and it so old
it has no grading (but likely to be less that 70% efficient)

But it then requires me to buy from a dealer rather than purchase off the
shelf at B&Q etc.....

so I save £ 400 by getting a rebate, but pay £ 2000 to British Gas for the
privilege.

Anyone found the work around yet?

Do you have a link to the site you mention?

http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/ef...FUgA4wodDzibrQ

Thx for that .Where does it say you are required to buy from a dealer
( altho' that is likely to be the case) ...The info seems scant at
present .

Posted to uk.d-i-y

. uk...

wrote:

well I went on the site, entered my make and model of boiler and it so
old
it has no grading (but likely to be less that 70% efficient)

But it then requires me to buy from a dealer rather than purchase off the
shelf at B&Q etc.....

so I save £ 400 by getting a rebate, but pay £ 2000 to British Gas for
the
privilege.

Anyone found the work around yet?

Do you have a link to the site you mention?

http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/ef...FUgA4wodDzibrQ

I like the quote

"Bear in mind nationwide firms may be a little more expensive but often
provide comprehensive after sales service and support packages."

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

. uk...

wrote:

well I went on the site, entered my make and model of boiler and it so
old
it has no grading (but likely to be less that 70% efficient)

But it then requires me to buy from a dealer rather than purchase off the
shelf at B&Q etc.....

so I save £ 400 by getting a rebate, but pay £ 2000 to British Gas for
the
privilege.

Anyone found the work around yet?

Do you have a link to the site you mention?

http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/ef...FUgA4wodDzibrQ

Doesn't even list mine.
Stelrad Ideal W2000 RS60 GC No 41 415 89
I can't find anything via Google either.
I have emailed Ideal to see if they can tell me a rating.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

"Vass" wrote in message
. uk...

"Usenet Nutter" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

well I went on the site, entered my make and model of boiler and
it so old
it has no grading (but likely to be less that 70% efficient)

But it then requires me to buy from a dealer rather than purchase
off the shelf at B&Q etc.....

so I save £ 400 by getting a rebate, but pay £ 2000 to British Gas
for the
privilege.

Anyone found the work around yet?

Do you have a link to the site you mention?

http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/ef...FUgA4wodDzibrQ

Doesn't even list mine.
Stelrad Ideal W2000 RS60 GC No 41 415 89
I can't find anything via Google either.
I have emailed Ideal to see if they can tell me a rating.

They only seem to have recent-ish models on that site - certainly for Baxi -
don't know about others.

Get it from the official source! http://www.sedbuk.com/
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:

"Vass" wrote in message
. uk...

"Usenet Nutter" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

well I went on the site, entered my make and model of boiler and
it so old
it has no grading (but likely to be less that 70% efficient)

But it then requires me to buy from a dealer rather than purchase
off the shelf at B&Q etc.....

so I save £ 400 by getting a rebate, but pay £ 2000 to British Gas
for the
privilege.

Anyone found the work around yet?

Do you have a link to the site you mention?

http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/ef...FUgA4wodDzibrQ

Doesn't even list mine.
Stelrad Ideal W2000 RS60 GC No 41 415 89
I can't find anything via Google either.
I have emailed Ideal to see if they can tell me a rating.

They only seem to have recent-ish models on that site - certainly for
Baxi - don't know about others.

Get it from the official source! http://www.sedbuk.com/

Tried to search their database and it was as much use as an udder on a bull!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:

snip

http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/ef...FUgA4wodDzibrQ

"Summary
Your Boiler is a 'G' rated boiler, this has very poor efficiency below
70%, in your case it's 75.1%."

Has Dribble had a hand in this site?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Chapman wrote:

Vass wrote:

snip

http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/ef...lid=CNz_nLDBzp
4CFUgA4wodDzibrQ

"Summary
Your Boiler is a 'G' rated boiler, this has very poor efficiency below
70%, in your case it's 75.1%."

Has Dribble had a hand in this site?

For the boiler I removed and replaced with a Grant boiler some years
ago, we had the amusing message: "Your boiler is unrated because it's
obsolete or very old." and "SAP Seasonal efficiency 70%".

If it wasn't rated, HTF do they know what its efficiency is?

Wouldn't admitting "we don't know what the efficiency is so we scored it
at the lowest level" have been more honest?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vass wrote:

so I save £ 400 by getting a rebate, but pay £ 2000 to British Gas for
the privilege.

Anyone found the work around yet?

Not using British Gas would seem to be a good starting point...

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 17:37:14 +0000, (Steve Firth)
wrote:

Roger Chapman wrote:

Vass wrote:

snip

http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/ef...lid=CNz_nLDBzp
4CFUgA4wodDzibrQ

"Summary
Your Boiler is a 'G' rated boiler, this has very poor efficiency below
70%, in your case it's 75.1%."

Has Dribble had a hand in this site?

For the boiler I removed and replaced with a Grant boiler some years
ago, we had the amusing message: "Your boiler is unrated because it's
obsolete or very old." and "SAP Seasonal efficiency 70%".

I think my Kingfisher of at least 25 years vintage and still going
reasonably well until a couple of years ago when I dumped it got the
same message .
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:

"Vass" wrote in message
. uk...

"Usenet Nutter" wrote in
message ...
wrote:

[...]

Yes, sorry - I'm sure it had used to be better than that.

I think someone has already drawn your attention to:
http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Sustainabili...ers%20List.xls
which contains a list of all G-Rated boilers. One of the entries is:
Caradon Ideal W2000 rs60 4142189 GAS 65

which looks like your boiler except that the 4th and 5th digits of the GC#
are different. Are you sure that you're quoting the correct number for
yours?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Dec 2009 21:56:06 -0000, Roger Mills wrote:

Get it from the official source! http://www.sedbuk.com/

Tried to search their database and it was as much use as an udder

on
a bull!

Yes, sorry - I'm sure it had used to be better than that.

The only thing I didn't like about it was that it shows all models
initially but if you use the "Refine Search" button it allows fairly
sensible filtering of the results. You get get rid of all the crappy
combi and/or condesing things for start...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Mills" wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:

snip
Get it from the official source! http://www.sedbuk.com/

Tried to search their database and it was as much use as an udder on
a bull!

Yes, sorry - I'm sure it had used to be better than that.

I think someone has already drawn your attention to:
http://www.ofgem.gov.uk/Sustainabili...ers%20List.xls
which contains a list of all G-Rated boilers. One of the entries is:
Caradon Ideal W2000 rs60 4142189 GAS 65

which looks like your boiler except that the 4th and 5th digits of the GC#
are different. Are you sure that you're quoting the correct number for
yours?

I looked at that entry first, and the difference in numbers sent me off on a
protracted search.
I am quoting the number from the sheet stuck to the inside of the front flap
of the boiler.
This Caradon Ideal confuses me as well - the boiler is marked as Stelrad
Ideal and Ideal Stelrad are still making boilers.
No list seems to contain 'Stelrad' though.
Googling Caradon Ideal leads you back to the Ideal website, but the website
doesn't seem to talk about Caradon (although the words "Now in 2007," on the
About Us page suggest that it hasn't been updated recently).

I emailed to ask them about the rating but got:

" Error delivering to enquiries; Cannot store document; database has too
many unique field names. Please ask your administrator to compact the
database.
"
So either they have been inundated with enquiries about the scrappage scheme
or they aren't really interested in their 'enquiries' mailbox.

Nothing is easy, is it? :-(

Presumably as the registration number is lower than the one quoted it is an
earlier model, so should also be 'G' rated.
I did manage to Google the number on a spare parts website so the number
does seem valid, just not in any of the boiler rating lists.

Ho hum.

Dave R

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David WE Roberts wrote:

This Caradon Ideal confuses me as well - the boiler is marked as
Stelrad Ideal and Ideal Stelrad are still making boilers.
No list seems to contain 'Stelrad' though.
Googling Caradon Ideal leads you back to the Ideal website, but the
website doesn't seem to talk about Caradon (although the words "Now
in 2007," on the About Us page suggest that it hasn't been updated
recently).

AIUI, Ideal and Stelrad are just brand names used for various products made
by Caradon PLC - so the names may crop up in various combinations. Everest
Double Glazing is (or, at least, used to be) part of the same outfit.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Dec, 13:42, "Vass" wrote:
"Usenet Nutter" wrote in message

Do you have a link to the site you mention?

http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/ef...l?gclid=CNz_nL...

I used that site and wasn't impressed - it seemed to be all gas
boilers and I've a oil fired one. I can't remember quite what I
googled as I did it earlier on, but I dug the site that I found
excellent out of the browser History :-

http://www.sedbuk.com/index.htm

Covers all the oil ones too and has a selection mechanism that
includes 'obsolete'. Now it may well be that this is just a different
front end to the same database, but I got the info on my Boulter
Camray external (Cat D).

Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

AIUI, Ideal and Stelrad are just brand names used for various products

made
by Caradon PLC - so the names may crop up in various combinations. Everest
Double Glazing is (or, at least, used to be) part of the same outfit.

Is Everest stiil going? I thought they went down years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Heliotrope Smith
writes

AIUI, Ideal and Stelrad are just brand names used for various products

made
by Caradon PLC - so the names may crop up in various combinations. Everest
Double Glazing is (or, at least, used to be) part of the same outfit.

Is Everest stiil going? I thought they went down years ago.

Well they were double glazing a pub in an advert last year

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Heliotrope Smith wrote:

AIUI, Ideal and Stelrad are just brand names used for various
products made by Caradon PLC - so the names may crop up in various
combinations. Everest Double Glazing is (or, at least, used to be)
part of the same outfit.

Is Everest stiil going? I thought they went down years ago.

Well, someone is still using the name and logo, 'cos I had a flier through
the letter box only a few days ago.

On further investigation, they appear not now to be part of Caradon, though.

I suspect that Caradon has been split up, with different bits being sold to
different entities - but with some of them still retaining the name. For
example, according to the Kompass Companies database, Caradon Radiators
Holdings Ltd appears to be owned by Bandwood Ltd - who, in turn, are owned
by ISG Holdings Ltd. The same database says that the shareholders of Caradon
Plumbing Solutions Ltd are Ideal Stelrad Ltd.

I'm not sure which of these entities produced the boiler under discussion,
but it's not surprising to see the names Caradon, Ideal and Stelrad
appearing together in various combinations.

For all I know, the same model may have morphed into something else during
its production life - a bit like an Austin Metro becoming a Rover 100!
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

Is Everest stiil going? I thought they went down years ago.

Well they were double glazing a pub in an advert last year

Tan Hill Inn I believe. (Highest pub in England). Second time around too
which doesn't say much for the longevity of their first attempt. :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Roger Chapman" wrote in message
geoff wrote:

Is Everest stiil going? I thought they went down years ago.

Well they were double glazing a pub in an advert last year

Tan Hill Inn I believe. (Highest pub in England). Second time around too
which doesn't say much for the longevity of their first attempt. :-)

The advert is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86oQ1qr-0cU

I notice that Everest use the words "upgrade".

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 08:17:08 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

Tan Hill Inn I believe. (Highest pub in England). Second time

around
too which doesn't say much for the longevity of their first

attempt.
:-)

The advert is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86oQ1qr-0cU

I notice that Everest use the words "upgrade".

Fitting solar panels without
planning:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...ver-Everest-pu
bs-solar-panel-makeover.html

Orginal ad was 22 years ago (1987) so an "upgrade" to the glazing
with a bigger gap and "K" type glass might make a little improvement.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 13 Dec 2009 08:17:08 GMT, ARWadsworth wrote:

Tan Hill Inn I believe. (Highest pub in England). Second time

around
too which doesn't say much for the longevity of their first

attempt.
:-)

The advert is here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86oQ1qr-0cU

I notice that Everest use the words "upgrade".

Fitting solar panels without
planning:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/ear...ver-Everest-pu
bs-solar-panel-makeover.html

Orginal ad was 22 years ago (1987) so an "upgrade" to the glazing
with a bigger gap and "K" type glass might make a little improvement.

--
Cheers
Dave.

I bet it makes a small difference:-)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/earthnews/3343155/Row-over-Everest-pubs-solar-panel-makeover.html

Ms Daly who took over the pub three years ago, added "we could get the extra
improvements done at no cost to ourselves"

Well spotted Dave, you made my day.

Cheers

Adam

Boiler Scrappage Roger Mills UK diy 49 December 12th 09 08:10 AM
Boiler scrappage scheme David UK diy 15 August 1st 09 11:34 PM
Looking for a Scheme norform Electronics Repair 3 July 5th 08 10:21 PM
new color scheme velvet_storm1 Home Repair 1 November 7th 06 11:41 PM
New scheme by BORGs? Renata Woodworking 41 June 9th 05 01:03 PM