Renata

Default New scheme by BORGs?

Going to return a quart of paint to Lowes, I dig out the receipt and
noticed they charged me for 2 cans when I only bought 1. Haven't had
a chance to discuss this with them yet, but in the meantime, I' gotta
return an outside light fixture at HD (cause I found a nicer one at
Lowes) and what do my eyes behold, but a charge for 2 of them! Now
since I only have one light outside the door, and only one door to the
outside (except for sliders w/spots overhead), there's no way I'd a
picked up two lights in first place, much less misplaced one between
the BORG and home. Going shortly to try to get this straightened out.
THis one's more critical since it's $45 rather than the $7 for the
paint.

Twice in a short interval at 2 different spots. What the heck's going
on here?!?

Renata
Duane Bozarth

Renata wrote:

Going to return a quart of paint to Lowes, I dig out the receipt and
noticed they charged me for 2 cans when I only bought 1. Haven't had
a chance to discuss this with them yet, but in the meantime, I' gotta
return an outside light fixture at HD (cause I found a nicer one at
Lowes) and what do my eyes behold, but a charge for 2 of them! Now
since I only have one light outside the door, and only one door to the
outside (except for sliders w/spots overhead), there's no way I'd a
picked up two lights in first place, much less misplaced one between
the BORG and home. Going shortly to try to get this straightened out.
THis one's more critical since it's $45 rather than the $7 for the
paint.

Twice in a short interval at 2 different spots. What the heck's going
on here?!?

You're not paying attention at the checkout?
Buck Turgidson

Twice in a short interval at 2 different spots. What the heck's going
on here?!?

Just curious - do the BORGS in your area have those self-checkout
aisles? God I hate those things except for a handful of small items.
They can get rid of 1.25 positions paying $7.50/hour by shifting the
work to me.

Wes Stewart

On Thu, 2 Jun 2005 14:38:13 -0400, "Buck Turgidson"
wrote:

Twice in a short interval at 2 different spots. What the heck's going
on here?!?

Me thinks you need to pay better attention.

Just curious - do the BORGS in your area have those self-checkout
aisles? God I hate those things except for a handful of small items.
They can get rid of 1.25 positions paying $7.50/hour by shifting the
work to me.

Yes they have them here as does the supermarket I shop.

I absolutely refuse to use them. At the Borg I just go to the "pro"
line, figuring I'm as professional as most of the contractors I've
dealt with. Or I check out in the garden center. At the Blue Borg,
the lumber line is usually empty.

My attitude is: If I wanted a job as a sales clerk, I'd put in an
application.

Philip Lewis

Wes Stewart writes:
Just curious - do the BORGS in your area have those self-checkout

I absolutely refuse to use them. At the Borg I just go to the "pro"

hmmm... i have the opposite feelings towards them. i figure if they
can have one person covering 4 checkouts, i'd be glad to load/unload
my cart for 1/3[*] the time waiting in line. I'd have to unload to the
belt anyway. There is even a chance (HA!) of the supermarket having
lower prices because of lower overhead.
[*] the systems do seem to be slower than normal for checking out
sometimes... thus the figure isn't 1/4 as you'd expect.

But you keep going to the sales clerk checkouts... that'll keep my
self checkout lines open and we'll both be happy.

--
be safe.
flip

Duane Bozarth

Philip Lewis wrote:

Wes Stewart writes:
Just curious - do the BORGS in your area have those self-checkout

I absolutely refuse to use them. At the Borg I just go to the "pro"

hmmm... i have the opposite feelings towards them. i figure if they
can have one person covering 4 checkouts, i'd be glad to load/unload
my cart for 1/3[*] the time waiting in line. I'd have to unload to the
belt anyway. There is even a chance (HA!) of the supermarket having
lower prices because of lower overhead.

I'm w/ Wes...and I don't punch in the credit card data myself,
either...I'm the customer, dagnabit!!!
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Tim Douglass wrote:

Our library has magnetic strips or something in the books - try to
take them without checking out and an alarm sounds.

My library has a system like that - though it's policed much like the
neighborhood or mall car alarm - hardly anyone even looks up when the
alarm goes off. The CDs, cassettes and videos regularly seem to not
register with the system when you check them out so the alarm goes off
about 30% of the time. I've even had the alarm sound when I return an
item.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Renata

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 13:19:32 -0500, Duane Bozarth
wrote:

Renata wrote:

Going to return a quart of paint to Lowes, I dig out the receipt and
noticed they charged me for 2 cans when I only bought 1. Haven't had
a chance to discuss this with them yet, but in the meantime, I' gotta
return an outside light fixture at HD (cause I found a nicer one at
Lowes) and what do my eyes behold, but a charge for 2 of them! Now
since I only have one light outside the door, and only one door to the
outside (except for sliders w/spots overhead), there's no way I'd a
picked up two lights in first place, much less misplaced one between
the BORG and home. Going shortly to try to get this straightened out.
THis one's more critical since it's $45 rather than the $7 for the
paint.

Twice in a short interval at 2 different spots. What the heck's going
on here?!?

You're not paying attention at the checkout?

Ya know, I normally pay rather close attention at the checkout. But,
obviously the moment I let my guard down...
After spending a fair amount of time picking appliances, and the bulk
of the checkout order being the said special order, I probably figured
for the additional item I didn't need to have an eagle eye. Silly me.

REnata

Upscale

"Renata" wrote in message

Ya know, I normally pay rather close attention at the checkout. But,
obviously the moment I let my guard down...
After spending a fair amount of time picking appliances, and the bulk
of the checkout order being the said special order, I probably figured
for the additional item I didn't need to have an eagle eye. Silly me.

It may be just me, but with every purchase I make, just after paying and
getting through the checkout, I always go through the receipt line by line
to check prices and amounts. I do this when buying tools, food and anything
else that took some cash out of my pocket. At least 10% of the time I find
something that needs to be corrected. Easy to do then and there.

Charles Spitzer

"Fly-by-Night CC" wrote in message
news
In article ,
Tim Douglass wrote:

[...]

a new library that just opened near me has rfid on everything. they know if
the stack of items you take out is checked out by having a scanner at the
exit.

regards,
charlie
http://glassartists.org/chaniarts

Philip Lewis

Duane Bozarth writes:
I'm w/ Wes...and I don't punch in the credit card data myself,
either...I'm the customer, dagnabit!!!

My wife hates *waiting* in line to pay for something... her
feeling:"I'm paying, they should open another register."
But, I seem to recall that she likes self checkout.

For me, I want to get in the store, get what i want, and get out
quickly. If checking myself out instead of waiting behind a line of
folks, it's fine with me.

Some folks value being served... I value my time.
Just two different perspectives. There is room for both.

--
be safe.
flip
Remove origin of the word spam from address to reply (leave "+")

John McCoy

Renata wrote in
:

Going to return a quart of paint to Lowes, I dig out the receipt and
noticed they charged me for 2 cans when I only bought 1.

It's not that uncommon for the bar-code scanner to double read on
an item, especially if it's a non-flat shape which doesn't get
picked up on the first swipe. _Usually_ the sales clerk will
notice the double beep and correct it (did you check & see if
there was a credit for 1 unit further down the receipt). When
it's noisy, tho, they can miss it. It's pretty much up to you
to keep an eye on the register, and make sure you don't get
double charged.

John
Vic Baron

"Renata" wrote in message
Going to return a quart of paint to Lowes, I dig out the receipt and
noticed they charged me for 2 cans when I only bought 1. Haven't had
a chance to discuss this with them yet, but in the meantime, I' gotta
return an outside light fixture at HD (cause I found a nicer one at
Lowes) and what do my eyes behold, but a charge for 2 of them! Now
since I only have one light outside the door, and only one door to the
outside (except for sliders w/spots overhead), there's no way I'd a
picked up two lights in first place, much less misplaced one between
the BORG and home. Going shortly to try to get this straightened out.
THis one's more critical since it's $45 rather than the $7 for the
paint.

Twice in a short interval at 2 different spots. What the heck's going
on here?!?

Renata

Don't take this the wrong way but what's going on here is you not paying
attention to your receipts. Double scanning is quite common - sometimes it
*IS* intentional but most times the scanner burps or the checker hesitates
during the sweep.

Maybe a lesson learned?

Chances are you'll be able to recover your overcharges.

Vic

Eric Tonks

Not to long ago, I checked out at the lumber aisle with some plywood and
some small items. I told the cashier about the items on the bottom of the
cart, she bent over with the handheld scanner to scan the small items. A
couple of weeks later some of the items were surplus and I went to return
them. When I located the cash register receipt with the plywood on it, I
found that the items that I wanted to return were not on the receipt. She
apparently didn't scan them.

"Vic Baron" wrote in message

"Renata" wrote in message
[...]

Leon

I gotta say, I think I would have noticed being billed double price had I
been paying attention at the check out. When someone is charging and taking
my money I tend to pay attention.
At this point unless there were other complaints it is your word against
theirs.

"Renata" wrote in message
Going to return a quart of paint to Lowes, I dig out the receipt and
noticed they charged me for 2 cans when I only bought 1. Haven't had
a chance to discuss this with them yet, but in the meantime, I' gotta
return an outside light fixture at HD (cause I found a nicer one at
Lowes) and what do my eyes behold, but a charge for 2 of them! Now
since I only have one light outside the door, and only one door to the
outside (except for sliders w/spots overhead), there's no way I'd a
picked up two lights in first place, much less misplaced one between
the BORG and home. Going shortly to try to get this straightened out.
THis one's more critical since it's $45 rather than the $7 for the
paint.

Twice in a short interval at 2 different spots. What the heck's going
on here?!?

Renata

Doug Miller

In article s.com, "Eric Tonks" etonks@sunstormADD-DOT-COM wrote:
Not to long ago, I checked out at the lumber aisle with some plywood and
some small items. I told the cashier about the items on the bottom of the
cart, she bent over with the handheld scanner to scan the small items. A
couple of weeks later some of the items were surplus and I went to return
them. When I located the cash register receipt with the plywood on it, I
found that the items that I wanted to return were not on the receipt. She
apparently didn't scan them.

So you simply gave them back, right?

--
Regards,

Duane Bozarth

Renata wrote:
... I probably figured for the additional item I didn't need to have an eagle eye. Silly me.

I'm certain it's not a case of deliberate attempt to commit fraud by
"the Evil BORG" as your first posting seems to imply...given the number
of items rung up by checkers, it's not surprising there are errors and
that you happened to have two occurrences in near proximity to each
other is simply chance.

Duane Bozarth

Philip Lewis wrote:

Duane Bozarth writes:
I'm w/ Wes...and I don't punch in the credit card data myself,
either...I'm the customer, dagnabit!!!

My wife hates *waiting* in line to pay for something... her
feeling:"I'm paying, they should open another register."
But, I seem to recall that she likes self checkout.

For me, I want to get in the store, get what i want, and get out
quickly. If checking myself out instead of waiting behind a line of
folks, it's fine with me.

Some folks value being served... I value my time.
Just two different perspectives. There is room for both.

Not for me...since I have no clue how to operate the self-check units
and have not intent to learn, there's no sped advantage there. I'm w/
your wife on the additional line when customers are waiting, however.

For the most part I go to the locals where I maintain accounts and
simply sign the ticket...best of both worlds. Only on rare occasion do
I partake of any business w/ which I can't do that--if they don't want
to provide the service I expect, then I'll go somewhere that does.
Bill

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:24:39 -0700, Tim Douglass wrote:

Our library has magnetic strips or something in the books - try to
take them without checking out and an alarm sounds.

A long time ago I ended up with an unintended book. I had been doing
research at the library amidst the research volumes. I re-shelved them and
properly checked out several others.

The alarm went off.

I walked back over to the checkout desk and the pile was re-swiped.

Again, the alarm went off.

One more trip to the checkout counter for a third scanning.

The third time the alarm went off the security guard grinned and waved me
through.

Had any of us ever looked in my briefcase we'd have found the offending
volume.

That left me, a normally honest man, with a problem -- how to return it
past the scanner / metal detector at the entrance.

I eventually opted to come back late at night and use the night drop-off.

Bill
Leon

"Bill" wrote in message
newsan.2005.06.04.18.06.43.459362@notarealserver .com...
On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:24:39 -0700, Tim Douglass wrote:

Our library has magnetic strips or something in the books - try to
take them without checking out and an alarm sounds.

Had any of us ever looked in my briefcase we'd have found the offending
volume.

For future reference, had they searched your briefcase you could have been
arrested. Conceiling merchandise whether you intend to pay for it or not
immeditely qualifies you as a thief with intent to steal.

Charles Wood

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Philip Lewis wrote:

Wes Stewart writes:
Just curious - do the BORGS in your area have those self-checkout
I absolutely refuse to use them. At the Borg I just go to the "pro"

hmmm... i have the opposite feelings towards them. i figure if they
can have one person covering 4 checkouts, i'd be glad to load/unload
my cart for 1/3[*] the time waiting in line. I'd have to unload to the
belt anyway. There is even a chance (HA!) of the supermarket having
lower prices because of lower overhead.

I'm w/ Wes...and I don't punch in the credit card data myself,
either...I'm the customer, dagnabit!!!

So how much more now-a-days is the full service pumps?

Edwin Pawlowski

"Charles Wood" wrote in message

So how much more now-a-days is the full service pumps?

Depends on where you live. NJ, all the stations must pump for you and they
have the cheapest gas around. In MA, each town decides. At the town borers,
one side of the street is self serve, the other side is full serve at the
same price. Anyone that thinks self serve is a bargain is nuts.

Wes Stewart

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 18:43:36 GMT, "Leon"
wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
newsan.2005.06.04.18.06.43.459362@notarealserve r.com...
On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:24:39 -0700, Tim Douglass wrote:

Our library has magnetic strips or something in the books - try to
take them without checking out and an alarm sounds.

Had any of us ever looked in my briefcase we'd have found the offending
volume.

For future reference, had they searched your briefcase you could have been
arrested. Conceiling merchandise whether you intend to pay for it or not
immeditely qualifies you as a thief with intent to steal.

And in Arizona this would be a capital offense with summary execution
authorized.

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/r...cles/16544.php

http://www.dailystar.com/dailystar/printDS/25838.php

Note our quirky law:

"Unklesbay said several factors played into his decision, from witness
accounts that described Hernandez as provoking the fight to a state
law that allows merchants to detain suspected shoplifters for law
enforcement purposes. Another state law also allows people to use
physical force when detaining others for law enforcement if it's
necessary."

Brian Elfert

"Edwin Pawlowski" writes:

"Charles Wood" wrote in message

So how much more now-a-days is the full service pumps?

Depends on where you live. NJ, all the stations must pump for you and they
have the cheapest gas around. In MA, each town decides. At the town borers,
one side of the street is self serve, the other side is full serve at the
same price. Anyone that thinks self serve is a bargain is nuts.

I wouldn't even know where to find a station with full service here in
Minnesota. I don't recall seeing one in ages.

I remember in 1994 or so stopping for gas in the middle of the night at a
station somewhere in Georgia or Florida. I didn't realize it was full
service until the guy came out. The gas was around $1.65 a gallon.
(Remember, this was 1994.)

Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert

"Leon" writes:

Had any of us ever looked in my briefcase we'd have found the offending
volume.

For future reference, had they searched your briefcase you could have been
arrested. Conceiling merchandise whether you intend to pay for it or not
immeditely qualifies you as a thief with intent to steal.

This was a library, not a store. Libraries don't require payment last I
checked.

I doubt a library would prosecute someone for a first offense, especially
someone who was helpful in trying to fix the problem. Someone who wanted
to steal a book would have kept right on going when the alarm sounded.

Brian Elfert
Leon

"Brian Elfert" wrote in message
"Leon" writes:

Had any of us ever looked in my briefcase we'd have found the offending
volume.

For future reference, had they searched your briefcase you could have been
arrested. Conceiling merchandise whether you intend to pay for it or not
immeditely qualifies you as a thief with intent to steal.

This was a library, not a store. Libraries don't require payment last I
checked.

It does not matter where you are, if you pick something up and conceil it
you can be liable for theft. Many libraries that I have been to do charge
late fees, REQUIRE you to check out the book and some actually sell books.
So yes many libraries do indeed require payment especially if you have
turned in a book that was late.

I doubt a library would prosecute someone for a first offense, especially
someone who was helpful in trying to fix the problem. Someone who wanted
to steal a book would have kept right on going when the alarm sounded.

Brian Elfert

Bill

wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
newsan.2005.06.04.18.06.43.459362@notarealserv er.com...
On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 21:24:39 -0700, Tim Douglass wrote:

Our library has magnetic strips or something in the books - try to
take them without checking out and an alarm sounds.

Had any of us ever looked in my briefcase we'd have found the offending
volume.

For future reference, had they searched your briefcase you could have been
arrested. Conceiling merchandise whether you intend to pay for it or not
immeditely qualifies you as a thief with intent to steal.

Yep ... and they could have looked into my briefcase, which I normally
kept locked because it had spontaneously opened a couple times, as soon
as the municipal police arrived with the search warrant.

And in Arizona this would be a capital offense with summary execution
authorized.

And here in Michigan, sometimes a mistake is just that ... a mistake. I
had a table full of books, some mine, some the library's. I had been
there for hours. One of theirs got mixed in with mine. For all I know, one
of mine might have been 're-shelved'.

Duane Bozarth

Philip Lewis wrote:

Wes Stewart writes:
Just curious - do the BORGS in your area have those self-checkout
I absolutely refuse to use them. At the Borg I just go to the "pro"

hmmm... i have the opposite feelings towards them. i figure if they
can have one person covering 4 checkouts, i'd be glad to load/unload
my cart for 1/3[*] the time waiting in line. I'd have to unload to the
belt anyway. There is even a chance (HA!) of the supermarket having
lower prices because of lower overhead.

I'm w/ Wes...and I don't punch in the credit card data myself,
either...I'm the customer, dagnabit!!!

So how much more now-a-days is the full service pumps?

I was speaking of retail stores, not service stations...but, as others
noted, it depends, I find, although I don't go looking for full service
stations. Here, I use Farmers' Equity (Co-op) w/ the patron-keyed
pumps, so it comes only the monthly bill w/ all the other farm supplies
from them...
Fly-by-Night CC

In article ,
Bill wrote:

Our library has magnetic strips or something in the books - try to
take them without checking out and an alarm sounds.

A long time ago I ended up with an unintended book. I had been doing
research at the library amidst the research volumes. I re-shelved them and
properly checked out several others.

The alarm went off.

I walked back over to the checkout desk and the pile was re-swiped.

Again, the alarm went off.

One more trip to the checkout counter for a third scanning.

The third time the alarm went off the security guard grinned and waved me
through.

Had any of us ever looked in my briefcase we'd have found the offending
volume.

Check this out from Saturday's Oregonian:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...ront_page/1117
879628162450.xml&coll=7
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
__________

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the
Corporate States of America and to the
Republicans for which it stands, one nation,
under debt, easily divisible, with liberty
and justice for oil."
- Wiley Miller, Non Sequitur, 1/24/05
Prometheus

"Leon" writes:

Had any of us ever looked in my briefcase we'd have found the offending
volume.

For future reference, had they searched your briefcase you could have been
arrested. Conceiling merchandise whether you intend to pay for it or not
immeditely qualifies you as a thief with intent to steal.

This was a library, not a store. Libraries don't require payment last I
checked.

It does not matter where you are, if you pick something up and conceil it
you can be liable for theft. Many libraries that I have been to do charge
late fees, REQUIRE you to check out the book and some actually sell books.
So yes many libraries do indeed require payment especially if you have
turned in a book that was late.

Yes, yes. Thank you for protecting us all from the terrible scourge
of absent-minded bookreaders. Now don't you have a McDonald's to sue
for making you fat or something?

I know the law is the law, but it's important to use a little
perspective and common sense.

Leon

"Prometheus" wrote in message

Yes, yes. Thank you for protecting us all from the terrible scourge
of absent-minded bookreaders. Now don't you have a McDonald's to sue
for making you fat or something?

I know the law is the law, but it's important to use a little
perspective and common sense.

Well I am not the one with the problem here. If you rely on perspective and
common sense of employees of a library or store you may very well be the
type person that needs to be reminded of this. I'd say 80% of retail and
public workers believe that they are there for YOUR benefit. Those are the
ones that get overly excited about some one breaking the law whether it be
purposely or by accident. The other 20% realize where their paychecks come
from and or why they are there. They tend to be the only ones with common
since and perspective in situations like this. In my younger days I fell in
the 80% group and most of us seemed to see eye to eye when it comes to
theft. So it will be easy for you or I to use perspective and or common
sense but keep in mind that it is the store employee or public worker that
you must rely on to have the perspective and common sense after he has
witnessed you break the law and does not know you from Adam.

Fenrir Enterprises

wrote:

Just curious - do the BORGS in your area have those self-checkout
aisles? God I hate those things except for a handful of small items.
They can get rid of 1.25 positions paying $7.50/hour by shifting the
work to me.

Self checkout technology is still too 'buggy' to be reliably useful,
most of the time the cashier has to help out anyway. It tends to
aggrivate customers (most of whom will refuse to use it again and want
a real cashier afterwards), though I find it extremely useful when I
only need one small pipe fitting or pack of saw blades and the lines
are full of people with fifty boards or stacks of tile.

I find it interesting that the local Home Depot has self-checkout
lines and always has at least five registers open on most days, while
Lowes has no self-checkout lines and almost never has more than one
register + service desk open even during Christmas rush. Seems that
Home Depot is making enough with them to keep over twice as many real
cashiers working.

---

http://www.FenrirOnline.com

Computer services, custom metal etching,
arts, crafts, and much more.

Charles Wood

I'm w/ Wes...and I don't punch in the credit card data myself,
either...I'm the customer, dagnabit!!!

So how much more now-a-days is the full service pumps?

I was speaking of retail stores, not service stations...but, as others
noted, it depends, I find, although I don't go looking for full service
stations. Here, I use Farmers' Equity (Co-op) w/ the patron-keyed
pumps, so it comes only the monthly bill w/ all the other farm supplies
from them...

I can see it would be pointless to explain the irony of people who shop at a
DIY store who can't.

What is BORGs?
Robert Bonomi

In article ,
wrote:
What is BORGs?

(a) a weak pun on the like-named aliens from Star Trek:The Next Generation,
that 'assimilated' everything.

And travelled around in big, boxy, spacecraft

(b) an acronym for Big Orange Retail Giant -- originally referring
to Home Depot, subsequently generalized to mean any of the big-box
superstores. The 'Blue BORG' is Lowes, the "Red BORG" is Menards, for
example.

Duane Bozarth

Charles Wood wrote:

I'm w/ Wes...and I don't punch in the credit card data myself,
either...I'm the customer, dagnabit!!!

So how much more now-a-days is the full service pumps?

I was speaking of retail stores, not service stations...but, as others
noted, it depends, I find, although I don't go looking for full service
stations. Here, I use Farmers' Equity (Co-op) w/ the patron-keyed
pumps, so it comes only the monthly bill w/ all the other farm supplies
from them...

I can see it would be pointless to explain the irony of people who shop at a
DIY store who can't.

If you're meaning that as a jibe to me, it's not a case of "can't" but
"choose to not participate"...

If I thought there were any attempt to pass on any reduction in cost
back to me, I might change my attitude, but I see no indication of
same. It's mostly a case of being a fossil, I guess...
Dave Hall

On Sat, 04 Jun 2005 23:17:47 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski"
wrote:

"Charles Wood" wrote in message

So how much more now-a-days is the full service pumps?

Depends on where you live. NJ, all the stations must pump for you and they
have the cheapest gas around. In MA, each town decides. At the town borers,
one side of the street is self serve, the other side is full serve at the
same price. Anyone that thinks self serve is a bargain is nuts.

For those of you with a few years under your belt, isn't it
interesting that "full service" is defined as a station where they
pump the gas for you? Even the few times in the last 20 years that I
have gone to a "full service" station or pump (like when my left leg
was broken and in a cast) I don't recall anyone cleaning my windshield
or checking my oil ;-)

I think that one of the best innovations of the last few years was the
gas pump card reader.

Dave Hall