Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Chimney Balloons

On Aug 25, 12:53*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in message

Now reduced to sleazy spamming. *I wonder if
knows that her web monkey is offending her potential customers? * Perhaps
someone will mention it on their facebook page.

I wonder how much better they are than the old practice of rolling up some
mineral wool and stuffing that up the chimney?
At least mineral wool doesn't rot like felt.

And when you forget it's there and light a fire...

MBQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, August 25, 2012 5:49:17 PM UTC+1, Man at B&Q wrote:
On Aug 25, 12:53*pm, "dennis@home"

wrote:

"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in message

Now reduced to sleazy spamming. *I wonder if

knows that her web monkey is offending her potential customers? * Perhaps

someone will mention it on their facebook page.

I wonder how much better they are than the old practice of rolling up some

mineral wool and stuffing that up the chimney?

At least mineral wool doesn't rot like felt.

And when you forget it's there and light a fire...

MBQ

That's why I'm impressed with the chimney sheep as its handle (which can be lengthened) extends down so its visible to remind you not to light the fire while its still up there. A wad of insulation would be cheaper but can get lost in the flue and easily forgotten, I suppose you will soon find out when you light the fire that the flue is blocked but its not ideal.

No doubt I'll get flamed again for being positive about something I've bought from a local business but the internet is full of some very cynical people and I know I'm legit
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Man at B&Q" writes:
On Aug 25, 12:53*pm, "dennis@home"
wrote:
"Zapp Brannigan" wrote in message

Now reduced to sleazy spamming. *I wonder if
knows that her web monkey is offending her potential customers? * Perhaps
someone will mention it on their facebook page.

I wonder how much better they are than the old practice of rolling up some
mineral wool and stuffing that up the chimney?
At least mineral wool doesn't rot like felt.

And when you forget it's there and light a fire...

Wool varies, but usually burns slowly, just self-supporting
a flame, although in this case it would be exposed to flame.
It gives off hydroden cyanide when burned, which is a common
cause of death in house fires from burning wool and synthetic
polymers.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Wool varies, but usually burns slowly, just self-supporting

a flame, although in this case it would be exposed to flame.

It gives off hydroden cyanide when burned, which is a common

cause of death in house fires from burning wool and synthetic

polymers.

--

Andrew Gabriel

Ah but the chimney sheep is made of felt which although made of wool is different and is naturally fire retardant. Take a look at this quick list of the advantages of felt http://www.aetnafelt.com/felt_advantages.htm (and no I don't have a contract or any relationship with that company either!)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 08:56:18 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Well done for ruining what was a useful forum.

**** off; it's survived worse.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Yes I can confirm neither Chimney Balloon or Chimney Sheep are my
customers. I can also confirm I am a customer OF Chimney Sheep. And yes I
come from the same very small town of Cockermouth hence why the ISP is the same.

Rule 1 - spammers lie.

To be accused by some on here of bringing the tone down is a little rich
when you see the school yard unjustified insults hurled about... and most
of the worst seem to come from anonymous posters unlike my posts which
are clearly traceable - why would I use my own business email if I wasn't genuine.

Well done for ruining what was a useful forum.

Get over yourself. Everyone else has.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2012 16:56, wrote:

And yes I come from the same very small town of Cockermouth hence why

the ISP is the same.

Not pointing a finger, but surely ISP is related to one of personal
choice rather than geographical location? unless the location is served
by some sort of wireless operator of offers a cable service where BT
service is useless..

To be accused by some on here of bringing the tone down is a little

rich when you see the school yard unjustified insults hurled about...
and most of the worst seem to come from anonymous posters unlike my
posts which are clearly traceable - why would I use my own business
email if I wasn't genuine.

It's the baptism of fire. Just ignore it and the insecure children get
bored and go pick on the next new kid at school with no friends to give
themselves an ego boost.
The name callers generally have very little useful input into the group
and can easily be dumped into an "ignore" filter with the associated
"plonk" sound.
;¬)

Well done for ruining what was a useful forum.

it's NOT a forum, it's NOT a google group it's USENET.
It has no moderators nor rules but the bulldogs and net nannies (that
you have already met) serve a limited purpose, like having a big barking
dog when the doorstep sales people come calling.

If you can contribute with genuine content and experiences you get more
out of it. All communities have mixtures of personalities, that's what
keeps them interesting..

Oh, and using a valid e-mail address on any usenet posting is a surefire
way of getting it toasted by every spambot that exists!

HTH
Pete
--
http://www.gymratz.co.uk - Home and commercial Gym Equipment UK

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2012 16:25, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
On Sat, 25 Aug 2012 07:11:58 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Well done for lowering the tone of a valuable debate about heat loss through chimney stacks.

Fck off, you spamming winker.

One post to a message that is a few years old does not constitute SPAM
nor does it validate a witch hunt. All those that shout SPAM in such
instances could be likened to the modern day Matthew Hopkins.

ooohhhh 10 points to the first pack-dog that can find rip the throat out
of a passer by, whether innocent or simply misguided.

It's always interesting to have others highlight products that are topic
in the general format of the group (as diverse as it can get)
Any any support to UK business innovations that are cheap, simple and
effective is also good, plus it allows far more independent and critical
analysis of said product, often bringing to light a cheaper (free) and
just as effective alternative.

One post is fine in my opinion. multiple and repeated posts offering
nothing more than product promotion are when the post(s) can be classed
as SPAM.

http://spam.abuse.net/overview/whatisspam.shtml

" Usenet spam robs users of the utility of the newsgroups by
overwhelming them with a barrage of advertising or other irrelevant
posts. Furthermore, Usenet spam subverts the ability of system
administrators and owners to manage the topics they accept on their
systems."

None of which is relevant to the poster and his single post.
Neither does it contravene the charter (suggested rule-set) of the group
as one does not and has NEVER existed.
http://www.usenet.org.uk/uk.d-i-y.html

"new balls please"

--
http://www.commercial-gym-equipment.co.uk
Suppliers to HM Forces and the toughest gyms in the country.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
One post is fine in my opinion. multiple and repeated posts offering
nothing more than product promotion are when the post(s) can be classed
as SPAM.

While the response has been a little over the top, the OP made a reply
to a post which was so old, it had fallen off the end of most, if not
all, news server retention lists.

The post also read as if it were a commercial for the item mentioned,
complete with "Buy one here" link. That puts it outside the accepted and
posted rules for this newsgroup.

While sticking one of these items up your chimney might be a
do-it-yourself option, no reference was made to any current topic on the
newsgroup, or to what problem currently being discussed the item might
solve.

Therefore, it meets the definition of spam used in this newsgroup, which
is an irrelevant post promoting a commercial item.

The original post was one I ignored, as it wasn't relevant to my needs,
the follow ups I also ignored as being the usual noise, Your post
defending the original spam, I felt impossible to ignore.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

**** off, you spamming ******.

One post to a message that is a few years old does not constitute SPAM
nor does it validate a witch hunt. All those that shout SPAM in such
instances could be likened to the modern day Matthew Hopkins.

**** off, tedious ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 09:09:19 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

It's the baptism of fire. Just ignore it and the insecure children get
bored and go pick on the next new kid at school with no friends to give
themselves an ego boost.

Do **** off yourself, you sanctimonious ****.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes

The name callers generally have very little useful input into the group
and can easily be dumped into an "ignore" filter with the associated
"plonk" sound.

So that's grimly, bob, firth B&Q, ploughman, me and others who
contribute more than you on a regular basis

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

It's the baptism of fire. Just ignore it and the insecure children get
bored and go pick on the next new kid at school with no friends to give
themselves an ego boost.

Do **** off yourself, you sanctimonious carrot.

Sending lots of Love and hugs your way.
{{{{{{{{™¥™¥™¥}}}}}}}}

Pete
--
http://www.water-rower.co.uk
Full commercial rowing machine made of wood !
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:
In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes

The name callers generally have very little useful input into the group
and can easily be dumped into an "ignore" filter with the associated
"plonk" sound.

So that's grimly, bob, firth B&Q, ploughman, me and others who
contribute more than you on a regular basis

And not one of you has a blatant advert in their .sig.

Of course he supports spamming.
--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2012 13:35, geoff wrote:
In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk

The name callers generally have very little useful input into the group
and can easily be dumped into an "ignore" filter with the associated
"plonk" sound.

So that's grimly, bob, firth B&Q, ploughman, me and others who
contribute more than you on a regular basis

Depends on your definition of "contribute" I guess.

I don't have any problems with the way usenet works, trolls, aholes,
spammers etc. That's what makes it usenet. You don't like it don't use it.

I personally don't filter anyone as eternal-september filters out the
genuine SPAM, the rest IS usenet in all it's glory for better and worse,
the colourful characters keep it diverse and rich while the quiet ones
keep it as a great source of reference based on knowledge and experience.

Pete
--
http://www.gymratz.co.uk/martial-arts-flooring/
Soft Floor interlocking jigsaw tiles for Dojo,MMA Etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2012 13:47, John Williamson wrote:

And not one of you has a blatant advert in their .sig.

Of course he supports spamming.

I don't support spamming when it really is spamming rather than one
persons incorrect interpretation of the term.

I don't hide behind the anonymity of fake names and disposable g-mail
addresses that Usenet offers to attack people publicly.

Obviously I don't post with a valid e-mail address, but if anyone wants
to know who or where I am then you don't have to be the brightest button
in the box to come visit me, e-mail me or call me up on the phone.

Always a cup of tea on the go for anyone wishing to pop by for a chat.

Pete (yes that's my real name)
and you can find me at
http://www.gymratz.co.uk/find-gymratz.php

--
http://www.discount-bodybuilding-supplements.co.uk/
ooh look, there's another one I'd forgotten about!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Well done for ruining what was a useful forum.

Forum my arse.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes
On 26/08/2012 13:35, geoff wrote:
In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk

The name callers generally have very little useful input into the group
and can easily be dumped into an "ignore" filter with the associated
"plonk" sound.

So that's grimly, bob, firth B&Q, ploughman, me and others who
contribute more than you on a regular basis

Depends on your definition of "contribute" I guess.

I don't have any problems with the way usenet works, trolls, aholes,
spammers etc. That's what makes it usenet. You don't like it don't use it.

What ?

**** that ...

don't like it, do something about it

turning your back on problems doesn't make them go away

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote:

I don't hide behind the anonymity of fake names and disposable g-mail
addresses that Usenet offers to attack people publicly.

Said the person posting as

And your sole purpose in posting here seems to be to promote your business.

Yes, I note your waffling about your name etc. But you are clearly posting
using a nym, keeping your ID under a bushel, and to claim that you are not
is bizarre.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-26, John Williamson wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes

The name callers generally have very little useful input into the group
and can easily be dumped into an "ignore" filter with the associated
"plonk" sound.
So that's grimly, bob, firth B&Q, ploughman, me and others who
contribute more than you on a regular basis

And not one of you has a blatant advert in their .sig.

Now that's unkind. You can put whatever you like in your .sig

I know but Mr. GymratZ goes a bit over the top, and it seems to change
according to his mood, always plugging his latest website. Not that I
bother checking them.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-08-26, John Williamson wrote:
geoff wrote:
In message ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk writes

The name callers generally have very little useful input into
the group and can easily be dumped into an "ignore" filter with
the associated "plonk" sound.

So that's grimly, bob, firth B&Q, ploughman, me and others who
contribute more than you on a regular basis

And not one of you has a blatant advert in their .sig.

Now that's unkind. You can put whatever you like in your .sig

Anything but a wasted apostrophe.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2012 16:46, Steve Firth wrote:

Yes, I note your waffling about your name etc. But you are clearly posting
using a nym, keeping your ID under a bushel, and to claim that you are not
is bizarre.

Nominet is your friend.

--
damn, nearly forgot a link....
Here's a special one for the angry people

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2012 16:46, Steve Firth wrote:

Yes, I note your waffling about your name etc. But you are clearly posting
using a nym, keeping your ID under a bushel, and to claim that you are not
is bizarre.

Reply in context please.
You are responding to the following statement:

"I don't hide behind the anonymity of fake names and disposable g-mail
addresses that Usenet offers to attack people publicly."

Reason I don't have a valid e-mail address etc is because of the spam
bots and harvesters... I made that mistake way back in the late 90's
But my whom or where-bouts is no mystery and never has been. Just follow
the one-click clues. i.e. website url. If you can't do a domain look-up
then my address is on the page footer of every website page (GymRatZ)

I think all the objectors have suitably objected and aired their points
of view. Now I best go off and look and the chimneysheep as that's how
it all started.
Pete
--
http://www.chimneysheep.co.uk/
A sheep you shove up your chimney apparently!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On 26/08/2012 16:46, Steve Firth wrote:

Yes, I note your waffling about your name etc. But you are clearly posting
using a nym, keeping your ID under a bushel, and to claim that you are not
is bizarre.

Nominet is your friend.

But not yours. Clearly there is no evidence that you are the person who
registered that domain and you're too much of a plonker to use that
domain properly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2012 21:55, Steve Firth wrote:

But not yours. Clearly there is no evidence that you are the person who
registered that domain and you're too much of a plonker to use that
domain properly.

"What a great idea. Prove what car you own by posting a photo of the car
showing it with a tin of custard. "

Looks like your "site" hasn't been updated since May 2008.
Since it disappeared from being "the home of Firth Consulting Ltd"
(a very bland single page)

Yep, you really taught me a thing or two about "using a domain properly"
Steve.

--
http://www.malloc.co.uk
The home of Firth Consulting Ltd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/08/2012 16:46, Steve Firth wrote:

And your sole purpose in posting here seems to be to promote your business.

Stop already, I've found out FAR too much about you Steve. The more you
dig the funnier you get.

From mac groups (where you really do upset people) to you promoting a
business (spamming) on other forums/groups etc:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/9kxp9hp

"If you are "doing" that corner of the world I suggest trying Assisi,
Perugia, Deruta - for the pottery, but bring a very large cheque book.
There are some examples of Deruta pottery on my website (gisberto.co.uk)
listed in the .sig."

Would that have been the following pottery Steve?
http://www.malloc.plus.com/gisberto/html/Ceramics1.html

Shame on you !
--
Steve A Firth
http://www.gisberto.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote:
On 26/08/2012 21:55, Steve Firth wrote:

But not yours. Clearly there is no evidence that you are the person who
registered that domain and you're too much of a plonker to use that
domain properly.

"What a great idea. Prove what car you own by posting a photo of the car
showing it with a tin of custard. "

ROFL. You really are a sad little turd. You wasted a Sunday with the
Wayback machine. For no effect whatsoever.

Rule 1. Spammers lie.
Rule 2. Spammers have incredible chips on their shoulders.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , www.GymRatZ.co.uk
writes
On 26/08/2012 16:46, Steve Firth wrote:

And your sole purpose in posting here seems to be to promote your business.

Stop already,

Does anyone else find that phrase cringeworthy ?

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

geoff wrote:

www.GymRatZ.co.uk writes

Stop already,

Does anyone else find that phrase cringeworthy ?

Not as much as people who say "Ahh, Bless!" when they see something they
think is cute.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On 26/08/2012 16:46, Steve Firth wrote:

Yes, I note your waffling about your name etc. But you are clearly posting
using a nym, keeping your ID under a bushel, and to claim that you are not
is bizarre.

Reply in context please.

Said the persons posting as who had removed all
context from his reply.

Steroid abuse destroying what little there was of your mind chum?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On 26/08/2012 16:46, Steve Firth wrote:

And your sole purpose in posting here seems to be to promote your business.

Stop already, I've found out FAR too much about you Steve. The more you
dig the funnier you get.

The one digging is you, and you're wasting your time doing so. Pointing
someone to a source of information on a subject they have expressed
interest in is not "spamming". Relentlessly pushing your Gym equipment
is.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
geoff wrote:

www.GymRatZ.co.uk writes

Stop already,

Does anyone else find that phrase cringeworthy ?

Not as much as people who say "Ahh, Bless!" when they see something
they think is cute.

Thats what I say when an apprentice starts to cry.

--
Adam

Chimney cap dbljay7542 Home Repair 1 November 3rd 08 02:09 AM
Do I need to cap chimney? F UK diy 10 June 5th 07 12:23 AM
wiring chimney style cooker hood:power socket inside chimney [email protected] UK diy 9 December 18th 06 07:19 PM
Brick Chimney Peak Fell Inside Chimney During Heavy Rain/ Lightning Storm Mike Home Repair 8 June 27th 06 11:16 PM
superbowl tickets, balloons, acetylene... wallster Metalworking 26 February 11th 06 01:59 PM