Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default wiring chimney style cooker hood:power socket inside chimney

Hi all

I am planning to renovate my kitchen. Currently, there is a canopy
style cooker hood which is powered from a socket near the ceiling. At
present this socket is visible, as it above the wall units. I am
planning to replace the current hood with a steel chimney type hood.
The existing socket would end up **inside** the upper section of the
chimney. Is it OK to power the hood from this socket?

thanks

Julian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
ps.com...
Hi all

I am planning to renovate my kitchen. Currently, there is a canopy
style cooker hood which is powered from a socket near the ceiling. At
present this socket is visible, as it above the wall units. I am
planning to replace the current hood with a steel chimney type hood.
The existing socket would end up **inside** the upper section of the
chimney. Is it OK to power the hood from this socket?

thanks

Julian

It's what I did, and as far as I can see, there's no issue.

I actually moved the socket so it would be inside the chimney section for
visual reasons.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-16 18:00:31 +0000, " said:

Hi all

I am planning to renovate my kitchen. Currently, there is a canopy
style cooker hood which is powered from a socket near the ceiling. At
present this socket is visible, as it above the wall units. I am
planning to replace the current hood with a steel chimney type hood.
The existing socket would end up **inside** the upper section of the
chimney. Is it OK to power the hood from this socket?
thanks

Julian

Is the fan unit and duct from it in the lower part of the hood or is it
right up in the top?

If it's in the top and you are therefore sucking water vapour, greasy
air and all the rest past the fitting, then it's probably not a good
idea. Otherwise if the venting occurs lower down, there shouldn't be
an issue with the fitting becoming damp or dirty, I suppose that
you could replace the standard socket with an exterior type FCU.

However, the switch is supposed to be easily accessible for isolation
purposes. If the fan develops a fault or there is a fire, how are you
going to isolate the fan if the switch is tucked away up the chimney?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2006-12-16 18:00:31 +0000, "
said:

[...]

The chimney is typically just an outer shell. The vapours are contailed in
a flexi-duct within the chimney. The wiring is within the chimney,but not
inside the ducting.

Access to inside the chimney is usually fairly trivial: The outer shroud
either pulls off, or its 2 small screws. Yes, it may require use of a tool.
You'd probably want a switch within easy access in this case.

--
Ron

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Ron Lowe" writes:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message

However, the switch is supposed to be easily accessible for isolation
purposes. If the fan develops a fault or there is a fire, how are you
going to isolate the fan if the switch is tucked away up the chimney?

Access to inside the chimney is usually fairly trivial: The outer shroud
either pulls off, or its 2 small screws. Yes, it may require use of a tool.
You'd probably want a switch within easy access in this case.

There's no regulatory requirement for emergency switching in
this case, so the switch doesn't need to be easy to access.
It just needs to be accessible by someone performing maintenance
on the unit, and should be accessible before any access is gained
to potentially live or moving parts.

I usually put cooker hood FCU's behind an adjacent wall cupboard,
with a cut out in the panel back for access.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16 Dec 2006 10:00:31 -0800 someone who may be
" wrote this:-

The existing socket would end up **inside** the upper section of the
chimney. Is it OK to power the hood from this socket?

As it is fixed equipment it would be preferable to feed it from a
switched fused connection unit. These are much neater.

Personally I would install it outside the hood, but there is an
argument that it can be installed inside the outer shell.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh