Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Parcels

Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on from
that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores, and due to
everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent to my folks house.
They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the postman often get's them
out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail state
they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ISTR a news item recently about a pub offering this service.

Might have been a pub that also hosted the local sub-post-office, or
possibly I'm mixing two stories.

Someone will recall, and have a link I'm sure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:42:46 -0000, "Davey" wrote:

Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on from
that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores, and due to
everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent to my folks house.
They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the postman often get's them
out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail state
they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

One of my neighbours has a large wooden box with some locking device
on it for his parcels. He works nights though so it's to stop him
being woken up.

Add into your address line "leave with neighbour at number 81"?

Ask neighbours to keep an eye out. Ours are pretty good at catching
the vans before they disappear and we do the same for other neighbours
too. The depots to pick parcels up at are miles away so it's in
everyone's interest not to have to trek out.

There is a parcel safe you can buy...
http://www.parcelsafeuk.com/
?
but depends how big your parcels are...
--
http://www.Christmasfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:42:46 -0000, "Davey" wrote:

Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on from
that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores, and due to
everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent to my folks house.
They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the postman often get's them
out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail state
they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

There are plenty of services around that will take in Mail for you and
will offer you a "Street Address" . This is but one of them .
http://www.mbe.co.uk/

Otherwise known as "accommodation Addresses"

Having an address different from a credit card address might prove a
problem in some cases if buying stuff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on
from that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores,
and due to everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent
to my folks house. They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the
postman often get's them out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail
state they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

I think there is a business oppourtunity here, what with the growth in
interweb shopping and working spouses.

I were working outside a house last week & watched the postie fail to
deliver 3 of 4 packets to various houses. he reckoned it was over 50%
failure rate & was getting worse.

There was a company trying to organise a parcel holding service, they had a
collection point matching my postcode, but it was right at the other end of
the towns.

DHL have gone some way to solving the problem by having part time agents who
deliver during the evenings in small local areas.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

mogga wrote:

Add into your address line "leave with neighbour at number 81"?

My next door neighbour (from hell) has a sign on his door together with
a scanned image of the royal mail logo.

"we are not allowed to accept deliveries for number 7"

Seem's I've upset him ... :-(

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on from
that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores, and due to
everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent to my folks house.
They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the postman often get's them
out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail state
they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

Post Restante. Standard Royal Mail service.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Graeme
wibbled on Tuesday 10 November 2009 20:51

The problem with other couriers is that (a) we're not allowed to do
anything that may be construed as working for the opposition and (b)
whoever signs for the parcel could leave themselves wide open, in the
event of any damage being discovered later.

Sounds like a case of competition being a bad thing. My life would certainly
be easier if I have the option for *everything* (OK, excepting 1 ton
pallets) to be delivered by Royal Mail/Parcelforce. At least I'd only have
to go to one place to collect it - that often being more local than the big
courier depots. And I'd have the option for redelivery to a local post
office.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:39:05 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

Post Restante. Standard Royal Mail service.

Doesn't work. They won't do it in the town where you live, as I recall.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim W
wrote
Graeme
wibbled on Tuesday 10 November 2009 20:51

The problem with other couriers is that (a) we're not allowed to do
anything that may be construed as working for the opposition and (b)
whoever signs for the parcel could leave themselves wide open, in the
event of any damage being discovered later.

Sounds like a case of competition being a bad thing. My life would certainly
be easier if I have the option for *everything* (OK, excepting 1 ton
pallets) to be delivered by Royal Mail/Parcelforce. At least I'd only have
to go to one place to collect it - that often being more local than the big
courier depots. And I'd have the option for redelivery to a local post
office.

You've got to be joking. I live in a small village of around 200,000
people and the nearest Parcel Farce depot is 30 miles away.

The local post office is closed when I go to work and closed when I get
home.

--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:27:39 +0000, mogga wrote:

Ask neighbours to keep an eye out. Ours are pretty good at catching
the vans before they disappear and we do the same for other neighbours
too.

Neighbours? Can't see any of our neighbours... It's quite funny when
we are expecting something and it is being delivered by a courier who
doesn't know the area. Two things happen we see a delivery van go
flying past then screech to a halt and reverse back up the hill or
come back up slowly 5 minutes latter having been down to the village
and asked in the Post Office... Many of the common couriers, UPS,
DHL, etc have the same driver on the route so they know where all the
odd farms and places are. Others drop all the local stuff at one of
the towns garages and then a local delivers it. Some is even picked
up from the couriers depot and brought in by the returning minibus
that took kids to school.

The depots to pick parcels up at are miles away so it's in everyone's
interest not to have to trek out.

Wouldn't even contemplate going to get something, 50 mile round trip
stuff that, they can redeliver on a given date. I suspect many of the
drivers don't want to spend the hour coming back out again to
redeliver either so stuff gets left in the shed or round the back and
a card dropped through the door. Pity that some drivers hand writing
makes Gordon Brown's look like block capitals...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:38:07 +0000, Alan wrote:

[...]

Most things go Royal Mail rather than ParcelForce (if not delivered by
courier). The local delivery office ought to be a lot nearer. My town is
a lot smaller than that and the DO is about half a mile away.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

Ditto mine. Parcels and letters (Parcelforce + RM) are easy - go to the
local sorting office one mile away. Couriers are inevitably miles away in
Leeds or similar, which is useless for me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Nov, 18:42, "Davey" wrote:
Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on from
that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores, and due to
everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent to my folks house.
They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the postman often get's them
out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail state
they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

Try googling "parcel collection point" don`t know if one has got to
market cornering size yet , obvious problem if your MrLocal Corner
Shop taking an agency, wher do you stck the stuff.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Nov, 05:06, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 10 Nov, 18:42, "Davey" wrote:

Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on from
that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores, and due to
everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent to my folks house.
They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the postman often get's them
out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail state
they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

Not directly a pick up point , but one that does run on PayPoint shops
and HDN doing the shifting:

http://www.collectplus.co.uk

Cheers
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 02:28:47 +0000, Clive George wrote:

Most things go Royal Mail rather than ParcelForce (if not delivered by
courier). The local delivery office ought to be a lot nearer. My town
is a lot smaller than that and the DO is about half a mile away.

Ditto mine. Parcels and letters (Parcelforce + RM) are easy - go to the
local sorting office one mile away. Couriers are inevitably miles away
in Leeds or similar, which is useless for me.

Is that *really* the ParcelForce depot? One has to distinguish between
Royal Mail standard parcels (which typically take 2-4 days) and
Parcelforce (which is a full blown courier-like service). They are
separate businesses, and PF don't operate out of Royal Mail delivery
offices.

As I said, my Royal Mail delivery office is half a mile away (or less).
But the PF depot is about 25 miles away.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan
wibbled on Tuesday 10 November 2009 23:38

[...]

Where are your nearest TNT, Fedex, UPS and BusinessPost depots? I bet
they're not in the same town...

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Alan wrote:
[...]

200,000? Thats not a smal village - its a fair size town?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 23:38:07 +0000, Alan wrote:

You've got to be joking. I live in a small village of around 200,000
people ...

Small village 200,000? That's a medium sized town! Small village is
200 or less...

people and the nearest Parcel Farce depot is 30 miles away.

Donno where our local Parcel Force depot is, the Royal Mail Delivery
Office is in the town just over miles away.

The local post office is closed when I go to work and closed when I get
home.

Doesn't help with Parcel Force and would only help with Royal Mail if
it is also the local Delivery Office. But I appreciate your point
that they keep normal working hours and thus are useless for anyone
else working the same hours. Delivery Offices do tend to open
reasonably early though. Bank hours annoy me, our local branches are
closed Saturdays and only open 0930-1530 (one is about to go
1000-1400) when are the kids supposed to do their banking? Push the
1530 to 1600 and they could.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim W wrote:
[...]

I love the idea of a small village being 200,000 people, too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:31:12 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:
Davey wrote:
[...]

One big part of the problem is the PO's insistence on trying to deliver mail
when they know that largest number of people will be out. Their service is
still tailored around businesses and the idea that there will be someone in
the house: presumably dutifully cleaning, cooking and sewing - ready for when
the breadwinner arrives back after a hard day down t' pit.

To make this work, my local postie has to leave his house at 5:45 to get
to the office for 6 a.m. and start his work (gets back home at lunchtime). If
they changed the timing, so that domestic post was delivered after 6 p.m. almost
all the problems of people being out would disappear. The postie's job
would still require odd hours: maybe 16:00 - 23:00 (and you might object
to answering the door at 11p.m.) but it would get more stuff delivered
securely.
You never know, it might even become a USP and revitalise the industry.

There was a company trying to organise a parcel holding service, they had a
collection point matching my postcode, but it was right at the other end of
the towns.

DHL have gone some way to solving the problem by having part time agents who
deliver during the evenings in small local areas.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

pete wrote:

One big part of the problem is the PO's insistence on trying to deliver mail
when they know that largest number of people will be out. Their service is
still tailored around businesses and the idea that there will be someone in
the house: presumably dutifully cleaning, cooking and sewing - ready for when
the breadwinner arrives back after a hard day down t' pit.

Well, it looks like we are heading back to those days as well.

Homeworking is very appropriate in times of rising transport costs and
falling communications costs.

As is unemployment during a depression.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Some couriers will refuse to leave anything with neighbours, even if
you have instructed them to do so. Citilink is the worst. You have
to go to collect the parcel from their depot which is miles away.

There is a parcel safe you can buy...
http://www.parcelsafeuk.com/
?
but depends how big your parcels are...

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark
writes
On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 20:51:24 +0000, Graeme
wrote:

Having said that, you can always request redelivery on a day to suit
you, such as Saturday.

Last time I asked this I was told that this is impossible "for
security reasons".

Well, I have never heard that before, and it certainly sounds like bull
to me. The posties here often redeliver on Saturday.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , pete
writes

If
they changed the timing, so that domestic post was delivered after 6
p.m. almost
all the problems of people being out would disappear. The postie's job
would still require odd hours: maybe 16:00 - 23:00 (and you might object
to answering the door at 11p.m.) but it would get more stuff delivered
securely.

A good idea in theory, but would only work for domestic properties. What
you suggest would mean each round being delivered twice - once during
the day for business properties, and later for domestic properties.
Either the postie earns huge overtime, or two posties are paid for what
is effectively one job. RM are gonna love that.

Having said the above, I do understand your point, and appreciate that
the problems faced by my rural sub post office with delivery office are
not the same as those faced by offices in large towns or cities.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes

As I said, my Royal Mail delivery office is half a mile away (or less).
But the PF depot is about 25 miles away.

This is a geographical problem, in that not all depots are the same, so
what is a problem to you is not a problem to other people.

Here, sub post office, delivery office and PF deport are all the same
place, and anyone can collect anything any time the PO is open. I
appreciate that does not help those who want to collect in the evening.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Davey" saying
something like:

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available.

It's called Post Restante and any PO will do it for you, no charge.

You simply get the sender to addy it thusly;
Mr Ivor Biggun
Poste Restante
Large Willytown PO
Knobend
Burks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Eager
saying something like:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:39:05 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

Post Restante. Standard Royal Mail service.

Doesn't work. They won't do it in the town where you live, as I recall.

How do they know where you live? The letter arrives addressed to you,
you go in to pick it up, show ID and collect it.

A fine to-do if you have to travel to the next county to collect your
mistresses' underthings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Eager
saying something like:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:39:05 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

Post Restante. Standard Royal Mail service.

Doesn't work. They won't do it in the town where you live, as I recall.

How do they know where you live? The letter arrives addressed to you,
you go in to pick it up, show ID and collect it.

A fine to-do if you have to travel to the next county to collect your
mistresses' underthings.

Its all covered by allowable parliamentary expenses, so not a problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:42:46 -0000, Davey wrote:

Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on from
that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores, and due to
everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent to my folks house.
They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the postman often get's them
out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail state
they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

Bit limited on size (aircraft luggage) and weight (23kg) and value (£300),
but there's

http://www.useyourlocal.com/
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 13:46:52 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

A fine to-do if you have to travel to the next county to collect your
mistresses' underthings.

That's what PO boxes are for !! :-)

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 13:30:34 +0000, Graeme wrote:
In message , Bob Eager
writes

As I said, my Royal Mail delivery office is half a mile away (or less).
But the PF depot is about 25 miles away.

This is a geographical problem, in that not all depots are the same, so
what is a problem to you is not a problem to other people.

Here, sub post office, delivery office and PF deport are all the same
place, and anyone can collect anything any time the PO is open. I
appreciate that does not help those who want to collect in the evening.

Well you're very lucky indeed. Until recently my town (pop. 16,000) had
_one_ sub-post office. They wouldn't deal with car tax, passports or any
of the thinggs that a _main_ office dealt with. The PO opened a new
main office, in a portakabin some time after xmas last year. The local
PO delivery office where you have to go to collect "carded" items is only
open in the mornings - it used to stay open until 5:00, but now closes
at 12:30. That means workers have to wait until saturday to collect stuff.
The PF distribution depot for my area is an hour's drive away, then another
hour home. This is all in a reasonably populous area of the S.E.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 10 Nov, 19:29, Usenet Nutter wrote:
Having an address different from a credit card address might prove a
problem in some cases if buying stuff

You may be able to get the credit card co to register a separate
delivery address to your account.

Or just change your address to the delivery address and collect your
monthly statement from the corner shop.

Owain

Send it to your local screwfix shop:-)

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
mogga wrote:

Add into your address line "leave with neighbour at number 81"?

My next door neighbour (from hell) has a sign on his door together with a
scanned image of the royal mail logo.

"we are not allowed to accept deliveries for number 7"

Seem's I've upset him ... :-(

--
Adrian C

How odd? I used to have a notice in my window that said "Do not deliver
parcels to no 5 if I am not in. Please use nos 3 ,6 or 9. Thank You"

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Medway
Handyman wrote
Alan wrote:

200,000? Thats not a smal village - its a fair size town?

Surely it IS a small village if carriers such as Parcelfarce consider it
not big enough to have a depot anywhere near it.?

--
Alan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

How odd? I used to have a notice in my window that said "Do not deliver
parcels to no 5 if I am not in. Please use nos 3 ,6 or 9. Thank You"

I had thought of a response something along the lines of

"due to some of our deliveries going missing, please do not leave items
at number 9"

Which might be seen as petty and slightly inflamatory as it's not true,
so I won't. Besides, we get on quite well with his wife...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , pete
writes

Well you're very lucky indeed. Until recently my town (pop. 16,000) had
_one_ sub-post office. They wouldn't deal with car tax, passports or any
of the thinggs that a _main_ office dealt with.

Not wouldn't - couldn't. Services such as passports and MVLs are highly
prized, both for the footfall and income they generate and the 'value'
they add to a sub post office.

--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message
,
Owain writes
On 10 Nov, 20:51, Graeme wrote:
Post Restante. *Standard Royal Mail service.

PR certainly works, although is rarely used, IME.

I thought that strictly speaking it was intended for use by travellers
for a maximum of 3 months duration at any one office.

True enough, but it is still rarely used, and TBH, if I started
receiving items PR for one individual, I wouldn't make a fuss,
particularly if they became a regular customer of the PO :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:

Bit limited on size (aircraft luggage) and weight (23kg) and value (£300),
but there's

http://www.useyourlocal.com/

Is it me, or are there no pubs listed that are actually willing to accept
parcels??

Certain can't see any in Folkestone.

I've given up - I get stuff delivered to work and have a credit card
registered there. Never had a problem with Citylink delivering to work
but nothing but grief at home. Not sure if it's due to a better driver
who actually gives a toss or if they are just careful not to annoy
large companies...

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , pete
writes
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 13:30:34 +0000, Graeme wrote:
In message , Bob Eager
writes

As I said, my Royal Mail delivery office is half a mile away (or less).
But the PF depot is about 25 miles away.

This is a geographical problem, in that not all depots are the same, so
what is a problem to you is not a problem to other people.

Here, sub post office, delivery office and PF deport are all the same
place, and anyone can collect anything any time the PO is open. I
appreciate that does not help those who want to collect in the evening.

Well you're very lucky indeed. Until recently my town (pop. 16,000) had
_one_ sub-post office. They wouldn't deal with car tax, passports or any
of the thinggs that a _main_ office dealt with.

Surely that is because they aren't allowed to though. I'm sure any
sub-postmaster would love the business.

The PO opened a new
main office, in a portakabin some time after xmas last year. The local
PO delivery office where you have to go to collect "carded" items is only
open in the mornings - it used to stay open until 5:00, but now closes
at 12:30. That means workers have to wait until saturday to collect stuff.
The PF distribution depot for my area is an hour's drive away, then another
hour home. This is all in a reasonably populous area of the S.E.

It seems somewhat ironic, but having moved from NW Leeds, to living in
the middle of a reasonably sized village. On the whole the whole parcel
thing is much more convenient for us.

Like Graemes, we live opposite a sub-post office, that also operates as
the local delivery office, but also Parcel Force use it for leaving
parcels for collection as well. So all pretty handy for us.

And as it happens, at least 3 of the main carriers have depots in
surrounding areas - while they might be a bit further in miles than when
we lived in Leeds, it's a quick drive to get to them if I need to.

--
Chris French