Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT - Parcels

Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on from
that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores, and due to
everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent to my folks house.
They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the postman often get's them
out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail state
they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ISTR a news item recently about a pub offering this service.

Might have been a pub that also hosted the local sub-post-office, or
possibly I'm mixing two stories.

Someone will recall, and have a link I'm sure.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:42:46 -0000, "Davey" wrote:

Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on from
that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores, and due to
everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent to my folks house.
They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the postman often get's them
out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail state
they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

One of my neighbours has a large wooden box with some locking device
on it for his parcels. He works nights though so it's to stop him
being woken up.

Add into your address line "leave with neighbour at number 81"?

Ask neighbours to keep an eye out. Ours are pretty good at catching
the vans before they disappear and we do the same for other neighbours
too. The depots to pick parcels up at are miles away so it's in
everyone's interest not to have to trek out.

There is a parcel safe you can buy...
http://www.parcelsafeuk.com/
?
but depends how big your parcels are...
--
http://www.Christmasfreebies.co.uk
http://www.holidayunder100.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

mogga wrote:

Add into your address line "leave with neighbour at number 81"?

My next door neighbour (from hell) has a sign on his door together with
a scanned image of the royal mail logo.

"we are not allowed to accept deliveries for number 7"

Seem's I've upset him ... :-(

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian C" wrote in message
mogga wrote:

Add into your address line "leave with neighbour at number 81"?

My next door neighbour (from hell) has a sign on his door together with a
scanned image of the royal mail logo.

"we are not allowed to accept deliveries for number 7"

Seem's I've upset him ... :-(

--
Adrian C

How odd? I used to have a notice in my window that said "Do not deliver
parcels to no 5 if I am not in. Please use nos 3 ,6 or 9. Thank You"

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

How odd? I used to have a notice in my window that said "Do not deliver
parcels to no 5 if I am not in. Please use nos 3 ,6 or 9. Thank You"

I had thought of a response something along the lines of

"due to some of our deliveries going missing, please do not leave items
at number 9"

Which might be seen as petty and slightly inflamatory as it's not true,
so I won't. Besides, we get on quite well with his wife...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:27:39 +0000, mogga wrote:

Ask neighbours to keep an eye out. Ours are pretty good at catching
the vans before they disappear and we do the same for other neighbours
too.

Neighbours? Can't see any of our neighbours... It's quite funny when
we are expecting something and it is being delivered by a courier who
doesn't know the area. Two things happen we see a delivery van go
flying past then screech to a halt and reverse back up the hill or
come back up slowly 5 minutes latter having been down to the village
and asked in the Post Office... Many of the common couriers, UPS,
DHL, etc have the same driver on the route so they know where all the
odd farms and places are. Others drop all the local stuff at one of
the towns garages and then a local delivers it. Some is even picked
up from the couriers depot and brought in by the returning minibus
that took kids to school.

The depots to pick parcels up at are miles away so it's in everyone's
interest not to have to trek out.

Wouldn't even contemplate going to get something, 50 mile round trip
stuff that, they can redeliver on a given date. I suspect many of the
drivers don't want to spend the hour coming back out again to
redeliver either so stuff gets left in the shed or round the back and
a card dropped through the door. Pity that some drivers hand writing
makes Gordon Brown's look like block capitals...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Some couriers will refuse to leave anything with neighbours, even if
you have instructed them to do so. Citilink is the worst. You have
to go to collect the parcel from their depot which is miles away.

There is a parcel safe you can buy...
http://www.parcelsafeuk.com/
?
but depends how big your parcels are...

--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark
writes
wrote:

[...]

Sorry, that's simply not true (I do about £10,000pa with them), although
I prefer to leave an instruction like "can leave in porch" - porches
don't have a tendency to go shopping

APC will leave with a neighbour if you're not there by default, unless
otherwise instructed

There is a parcel safe you can buy...
http://www.parcelsafeuk.com/
?
but depends how big your parcels are...

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 22:44:43 +0000, geoff wrote:

In message , Mark
writes
wrote:

[...]

It is true. Don't call me a liar.
--
(\__/) M.
[Reply-to address valid until it is spammed.]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Mark
writes

wrote:

[...]

You're a liar, then, if that's the way you want to put it

or - whatever ...

goblok

--
geoff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:42:46 -0000, "Davey" wrote:

Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on from
that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores, and due to
everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent to my folks house.
They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the postman often get's them
out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail state
they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

There are plenty of services around that will take in Mail for you and
will offer you a "Street Address" . This is but one of them .
http://www.mbe.co.uk/

Otherwise known as "accommodation Addresses"

Having an address different from a credit card address might prove a
problem in some cases if buying stuff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on from
that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores, and due to
everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent to my folks house.
They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the postman often get's them
out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail state
they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

Post Restante. Standard Royal Mail service.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:39:05 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

Post Restante. Standard Royal Mail service.

Doesn't work. They won't do it in the town where you live, as I recall.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Eager
saying something like:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:39:05 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

Post Restante. Standard Royal Mail service.

Doesn't work. They won't do it in the town where you live, as I recall.

How do they know where you live? The letter arrives addressed to you,
you go in to pick it up, show ID and collect it.

A fine to-do if you have to travel to the next county to collect your
mistresses' underthings.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember Bob Eager
saying something like:

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 19:39:05 +0000, Andy Champ wrote:

Post Restante. Standard Royal Mail service.

Doesn't work. They won't do it in the town where you live, as I recall.

How do they know where you live? The letter arrives addressed to you,
you go in to pick it up, show ID and collect it.

A fine to-do if you have to travel to the next county to collect your
mistresses' underthings.

Its all covered by allowable parliamentary expenses, so not a problem.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 13:46:52 +0000, Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

A fine to-do if you have to travel to the next county to collect your
mistresses' underthings.

That's what PO boxes are for !! :-)

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10 Nov, 18:42, "Davey" wrote:
Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on from
that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores, and due to
everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent to my folks house.
They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the postman often get's them
out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail state
they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

Try googling "parcel collection point" don`t know if one has got to
market cornering size yet , obvious problem if your MrLocal Corner
Shop taking an agency, wher do you stck the stuff.

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11 Nov, 05:06, Adam Aglionby wrote:
On 10 Nov, 18:42, "Davey" wrote:

Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on from
that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores, and due to
everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent to my folks house.
They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the postman often get's them
out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail state
they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

Not directly a pick up point , but one that does run on PayPoint shops
and HDN doing the shifting:

http://www.collectplus.co.uk

Cheers
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adam Aglionby wrote:

Not directly a pick up point , but one that does run on PayPoint shops
and HDN doing the shifting:

http://www.collectplus.co.uk

Hmm, that actually looks quite handy for me, as the corner shop at the
end of my road is registered as a delivery point. Unfortunately though,
it looks like I'd only be able to use it if the vendor explicitly
offered, which I have never seen.

Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember "Davey" saying
something like:

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available.

It's called Post Restante and any PO will do it for you, no charge.

You simply get the sender to addy it thusly;
Mr Ivor Biggun
Poste Restante
Large Willytown PO
Knobend
Burks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:
drugs began to take hold. I remember "Davey" saying
something like:

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available.

It's called Post Restante and any PO will do it for you, no charge.

You simply get the sender to addy it thusly;
Mr Ivor Biggun
Poste Restante
Large Willytown PO
Knobend
Burks.

Surely that should be;

Sally Likes
The Cockwright Inn
Tillet
Herts

?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 10 Nov 2009 18:42:46 -0000, Davey wrote:

Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on from
that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores, and due to
everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent to my folks house.
They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the postman often get's them
out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail state
they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

Bit limited on size (aircraft luggage) and weight (23kg) and value (£300),
but there's

http://www.useyourlocal.com/
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
PeterC wrote:

Bit limited on size (aircraft luggage) and weight (23kg) and value (£300),
but there's

http://www.useyourlocal.com/

Is it me, or are there no pubs listed that are actually willing to accept
parcels??

Certain can't see any in Folkestone.

I've given up - I get stuff delivered to work and have a credit card
registered there. Never had a problem with Citylink delivering to work
but nothing but grief at home. Not sure if it's due to a better driver
who actually gives a toss or if they are just careful not to annoy
large companies...

Darren

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , D.M.Chapman
writes
In article ,
PeterC wrote:

Bit limited on size (aircraft luggage) and weight (23kg) and value (£300),
but there's

http://www.useyourlocal.com/

Is it me, or are there no pubs listed that are actually willing to accept
parcels??

Certain can't see any in Folkestone.

The problem seems to be like all these sort of good ideas, they have yet
to recruit enough pubs to the scheme. There are no UYL registered pubs
within 20 miles of us, and there were 2 within 20 miles of our old one

I've given up - I get stuff delivered to work and have a credit card
registered there. Never had a problem with Citylink delivering to work
but nothing but grief at home. Not sure if it's due to a better driver
who actually gives a toss or if they are just careful not to annoy
large companies...

IO think lots of these problems are down to drivers. CL is one ofmy
favoured companies. Never had any problems with them. There depot isn't
to far away, and being rural we are usually on early on their run.
--
Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

D.M.Chapman wrote:

I've given up - I get stuff delivered to work and have a credit card
registered there. Never had a problem with Citylink delivering to work
but nothing but grief at home. Not sure if it's due to a better driver
who actually gives a toss or if they are just careful not to annoy
large companies...

More the fact that large companies have a Goods Inwards department who
are always open (at the times couriers operate), are ready to handle
parcels easily with no fuss or delay, and are probably the destination
for several parcels at once. A courier driver short of time and being
paid x pence per parcel will love this, compared to a single packet for
Mrs Miggins 20 miles from any other destination who always takes five
minutes to answer the door and another ten to actually complete the
transaction.

Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 21:32:41 +0000 (UTC), D.M.Chapman wrote:

http://www.useyourlocal.com/

Is it me, or are there no pubs listed that are actually willing to
accept parcels??

None round here either. Looking at what is listed as "not accepting
parcels" I suspect they have just imported a database of premises
licensed to sell booze that can be consumed on said premises. Round
here the golf club and the Masonic Hall are listed along with the
hotels and pubs.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Davey wrote:
Was reading with interest the thread about letter boxes. Moving on
from that, I buy quite a lot off stuff from eBay or online stores,
and due to everyone being at work in the day, I have to get it sent
to my folks house. They're retired, but I'd like to stop this as the
postman often get's them out of bed in the mornings.

I have always wondered if there is a service which you can pay for to
receive your parcels and you just go and pick them up when you are
available. I've looked into getting a P.O. box, but the royal mail
state they won't take in packages from other couriers, so it's no use.

Any ideas?

I think there is a business oppourtunity here, what with the growth in
interweb shopping and working spouses.

I were working outside a house last week & watched the postie fail to
deliver 3 of 4 packets to various houses. he reckoned it was over 50%
failure rate & was getting worse.

There was a company trying to organise a parcel holding service, they had a
collection point matching my postcode, but it was right at the other end of
the towns.

DHL have gone some way to solving the problem by having part time agents who
deliver during the evenings in small local areas.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk