Posted to uk.d-i-y
chris French chris French is offline

Default OT - Parcels

In message , pete
writes
On Wed, 11 Nov 2009 13:30:34 +0000, Graeme wrote:
In message , Bob Eager
writes

As I said, my Royal Mail delivery office is half a mile away (or less).
But the PF depot is about 25 miles away.

This is a geographical problem, in that not all depots are the same, so
what is a problem to you is not a problem to other people.

Here, sub post office, delivery office and PF deport are all the same
place, and anyone can collect anything any time the PO is open. I
appreciate that does not help those who want to collect in the evening.

Well you're very lucky indeed. Until recently my town (pop. 16,000) had
_one_ sub-post office. They wouldn't deal with car tax, passports or any
of the thinggs that a _main_ office dealt with.

Surely that is because they aren't allowed to though. I'm sure any
sub-postmaster would love the business.

The PO opened a new
main office, in a portakabin some time after xmas last year. The local
PO delivery office where you have to go to collect "carded" items is only
open in the mornings - it used to stay open until 5:00, but now closes
at 12:30. That means workers have to wait until saturday to collect stuff.
The PF distribution depot for my area is an hour's drive away, then another
hour home. This is all in a reasonably populous area of the S.E.

It seems somewhat ironic, but having moved from NW Leeds, to living in
the middle of a reasonably sized village. On the whole the whole parcel
thing is much more convenient for us.

Like Graemes, we live opposite a sub-post office, that also operates as
the local delivery office, but also Parcel Force use it for leaving
parcels for collection as well. So all pretty handy for us.

And as it happens, at least 3 of the main carriers have depots in
surrounding areas - while they might be a bit further in miles than when
we lived in Leeds, it's a quick drive to get to them if I need to.

--
Chris French