Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default microwave oven broken

Hello,

I have a Panasonic NNA755W microwave/grill/oven and the microwave does
not work. Last night we used it as a conventional oven and it worked
but there was a burning smell. When we tried to use it at lunchtime
today as a microwave, it switched itself off after a couple of
seconds. When we tried again it whirred for a bit longer but it did
not heat the food, and a third time it switched itself off after a few
seconds again. It is now unplugged. I realise microwave repairs are
not DIY and I don't intend to do so, but does anyone know how much I
should expect to pay for someone to look at it? I'm in the Midlands.
I'm wondering whether it would be cheaper to buy a new one. Probably
it would for just a cheap microwave only but this is a combination
oven so I wonder if it might be cheaper to repair?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 14:18:09 +0000, Stephen
wrote:

I realise microwave repairs are
not DIY and I don't intend to do so, but does anyone know how much I
should expect to pay for someone to look at it? I'm in the Midlands.
I'm wondering whether it would be cheaper to buy a new one. Probably
it would for just a cheap microwave only but this is a combination
oven so I wonder if it might be cheaper to repair?

Combination Microwave ovens are £70 -£110. For anything except a
simple fault like fuse a repair is going to be very close to this. A
Panasonic replacement magnetron is £70 alone without labour costs
(although cheaper generic ones are about £30).

The cheapest failure would be the cooling fan motor (typical cost
about £10 ex labour).

Panasonic microwaves are also prone to the Magnetron filament blade
connectors loosening, overheating and burning. These are not
difficult to fix (quite DIYable with suitable precautions) but take
time.

As any repairer is likely to charge you £20 to even assess the thing
and give an estimate so a microwave is usually considered to be a
non-repairable item.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

very diyable of you understand the risks, but they're relatively
serious risks.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Stephen" wrote in message ...
Hello,

I have a Panasonic NNA755W microwave/grill/oven and the microwave does
not work. Last night we used it as a conventional oven and it worked
but there was a burning smell. When we tried to use it at lunchtime
today as a microwave, it switched itself off after a couple of
seconds. When we tried again it whirred for a bit longer but it did
not heat the food, and a third time it switched itself off after a few
seconds again. It is now unplugged. I realise microwave repairs are
not DIY and I don't intend to do so, but does anyone know how much I
should expect to pay for someone to look at it? I'm in the Midlands.
I'm wondering whether it would be cheaper to buy a new one. Probably
it would for just a cheap microwave only but this is a combination
oven so I wonder if it might be cheaper to repair?

I doubt it.

I was involved with the repair of these some time ago. All these Inverter System models
are bad news when they fail IMHO
In my experience the symptoms you describe will probably be the Magnetron,
or the inverter PCB, or both. (Frankly there is not a lot else in there!)

The magnetron in these models are run very hard and generally fail by overheating
and cracking one or both of the ring magnets. The "correct" 1000W magnetron
costs a lot more than the generic ones from CPC etc.

If the Inverter is faulty, the situation is even worse, I would normally repair
a PCB like that at component level, but at the time I was working on them
the components that had failed, two IGBT transistors, could not be sourced for
love or money, and my only option was to get a new one on an exchange basis
from Panny for £90 trade IIRC. I think we wrote a few off rather than repair them.

I suggest your replacement microwave has a nice heavy conventional transformer:-)

--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Panasonic microwaves are also prone to the Magnetron filament blade
connectors loosening, overheating and burning. These are not
difficult to fix (quite DIYable with suitable precautions) but take
time.

IIRC it wasn't the connector lug making poor contact to the Mag but the crimp
to the wire that was lose causing intermittent no filament. I used to augment
the crimp with solder as a preventative measure.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 12:28:59 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

very diyable of you understand the risks, but they're relatively
serious risks.

Since I don't, I won't!

What are the risks: that if you put it back together badly radiation
will spray out everywhere? I have spoken to a couple of repairmen over
the phone who have repeated what the other post says; that a magnetron
(whatever that is, I am meaning to google/wikipedia it) will cost
about £70. One chap mentioned a dangerous capacitor, so is the other
danger risk of electrocution off this? Like I s aid, I will not be
attempting anything but it is still nice to know what happens "under
the bonnet".

TIA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 19:44:04 -0000, "Graham" wrote:

I suggest your replacement microwave has a nice heavy conventional transformer:-)

IIRC at the time we bought it Panasonic's marketing sold the inverter
as being better than a transformer, though I can't remember why now.
Is there any particular make you recommend?

Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:34:08 +0000, Stephen
wrote:

What are the risks: that if you put it back together badly radiation
will spray out everywhere?

Fairly minimal unless you have a masters degree in incompetence. The
capacitor is the dangerous bit when working inside as it stores a high
voltage charge with quite a bit of energy, a dangerous combination.
You can discharge this using a simple tool but leaving it switched off
for a day before playing inside also works well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

What are the risks: that if you put it back together badly radiation
will spray out everywhere?

Fairly minimal unless you have a masters degree in incompetence. The
capacitor is the dangerous bit when working inside as it stores a high
voltage charge with quite a bit of energy, a dangerous combination.
You can discharge this using a simple tool but leaving it switched off
for a day before playing inside also works well.

Based on the range and frequency of questions from the OP he certainly
does not seem to know much of the basics on how stuff works. Not that
that automatically makes him incompetent but the bits of knowledge
picked up here might lead to too high self confidence?

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Peter Parry wrote:

What are the risks: that if you put it back together badly radiation
will spray out everywhere?

Fairly minimal unless you have a masters degree in incompetence. The
capacitor is the dangerous bit when working inside as it stores a high
voltage charge with quite a bit of energy, a dangerous combination.
You can discharge this using a simple tool but leaving it switched off
for a day before playing inside also works well.

Oh? The guy at our local shop said capacitors can store fatal doses for
up to *three months*. Whether he's right or wrong, he did me the favour
of alerting me to use extreme caution when I had the back off (without
success - see another post).

John

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

very diyable of you understand the risks, but they're relatively
serious risks.

Since I don't, I won't!

What are the risks: that if you put it back together badly radiation
will spray out everywhere? I have spoken to a couple of repairmen over
the phone who have repeated what the other post says; that a magnetron
(whatever that is, I am meaning to google/wikipedia it) will cost
about £70. One chap mentioned a dangerous capacitor, so is the other
danger risk of electrocution off this? Like I s aid, I will not be
attempting anything but it is still nice to know what happens "under
the bonnet".

TIA

I've never paid more than £5 for a magnetron. The £70 story is typical
repairman foolishness, and they wonder why theyre going out of
business. You can get them at many local dumps, complete with free
microwave oven.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

The
capacitor is the dangerous bit when working inside as it stores a high
voltage charge with quite a bit of energy, a dangerous combination.
You can discharge this using a simple tool

At last, a use for Dr Drivel! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Based on the range and frequency of questions from the OP he certainly
does not seem to know much of the basics on how stuff works. Not that
that automatically makes him incompetent but the bits of knowledge
picked up here might lead to too high self confidence?

Sounds just like Drivel..

Call it evolution in action.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:37:35 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

Suicidal advice

You do realise the capacitor has a drain resistor I presume?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 18:07:44 +0000, John L
wrote:

Oh? The guy at our local shop said capacitors can store fatal doses for
up to *three months*. Whether he's right or wrong,

He was wrong. The capacitor incorporates a drain resistor which
discharges it in an hour or so.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Suicidal advice

You do realise the capacitor has a drain resistor I presume?

Single component failure!

If for no other reason than that I wouldnt rely on a resistor alone to
preserve safety.

Derek

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stephen
wibbled on Friday 30 October 2009 15:34

wrote:

very diyable of you understand the risks, but they're relatively
serious risks.

Since I don't, I won't!

What are the risks:

2-5kV stored in a big capacitor with enough energy to kill you... It's a
manageble risk, if you know it's there.

--
Tim Watts

This space intentionally left blank...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 11:37:00 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

I've never paid more than =A35 for a magnetron. The =A370 story is typical
repairman foolishness, and they wonder why theyre going out of
business.

I think another reply said that Panasonic ones were dearer than
others. Whether there is a good reason or whether I am paying for the
name I don't know. Each repairman wants to look at the machine and
charge for their time doing so, so it is impossible to shop around for
the best quote without paying a fortune in fees.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 30 Oct 2009 22:26:48 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
[Bob Minchin wrote:]
Based on the range and frequency of questions from the OP he certainly
does not seem to know much of the basics on how stuff works. Not that
that automatically makes him incompetent but the bits of knowledge
picked up here might lead to too high self confidence?

Sounds just like Drivel..

I'm not Drivel. I am young and in my first house and new to DIY and
hence I need, and ask, for a lot of help. I'm flattered that Bob has
looked all my posts up on google. I'm sorry if Bob thinks I ask a lot
of silly questions but how can I learn if I don't ask? I'm sure once
upon a time Bob was a learner too. If there weren't any questions,
this group would not exist. I did make very clear that I had no
intention of removing the cover but it's nice to know what is
underneath so that I can recognise when a repairman is talking
nonsense and trying to rip me off. Sorry if I am being oversensitive!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Suicidal advice

You do realise the capacitor has a drain resistor I presume?

people also wrote:

Drain resistances do fail!

They do, extraordinarily infrequently. Unstressed resistors are the
most reliable component after a length of wire.

Using the MIL-HDBK-217F model for a composition resistor at its
rated power (drain resistors actually operate below this) you are
going to see a failure rate of about 200 failures per 10^9 hours
operation. That is as close to zero as makes no difference.

For someone looking at a microwave once or twice in a lifetime the
chances of encountering a failed drain resistor on an oven which
powers up are minimal, far less than the risk of being killed driving
to buy another one. Leaving it off for 24 hours will in any case
allow the capacitor to self discharge through internal leakage and
other components.

If I relied on this dense advice I'd be long dead.

1. discharge resistors do fail
2. components without such resistors get substituted during mfr now
and then
3. ditto during repair
4. there are at times individuals involved in all stages of manufature
and repair who couldnt care less about safety resistors

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I've never paid more than =A35 for a magnetron. The =A370 story is typical
repairman foolishness, and they wonder why theyre going out of
business.

I think another reply said that Panasonic ones were dearer than
others. Whether there is a good reason or whether I am paying for the
name I don't know. Each repairman wants to look at the machine and
charge for their time doing so, so it is impossible to shop around for
the best quote without paying a fortune in fees.

Dump operators dont charge any more for panasonics.
If your repair people want to charge you for a quote AND charge you
£70 for a magnetron, you're looking in the wrong place. The old model
of the local repair shop that always fits new parts is just not a
workable business model any more. Try someone that works from home or
a small workshop and routinely fits used parts. Sometimes you'l find
shops that work like this in relatively run down areas. Get a free
quote or walk.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30 Oct, 23:58, wrote:

He was wrong. * The capacitor incorporates a drain resistor which
discharges it in an hour or so.

He is correct. Drain resistances do fail!

I had one of those fail when I was a student. It was impractical to
have the drain resistor permanently connected, so it was on a spring
contact that only engaged when the big power went off (and there were
case & room interlocks too).

However the resistor, a big wirewound, failed by overheating one day,
just from the energy stored in the capacitor bank. _Big_ capacitor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 04:25:50 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

On Oct 30, 11:03*pm, Peter Parry wrote:

1. discharge resistors do fail

Indeed, every few hundred years.

2. components without such resistors get substituted during mfr now
and then

Do they? Can you name a manufacturer who does this?

3. ditto during repair

As it is rather difficult to buy such a capacitor without an integral
drain resistor that seems somewhat improbable.

4. there are at times individuals involved in all stages of manufature
and repair who couldnt care less about safety resistors

That's why they are built into the capacitor casing rather than
fitted externally.

As for your rather hysterical claim that "If I relied on this dense
advice I'd be long dead." the number of people killed by domestic
microwave ovens (in either use or repair) in the UK since 1980 is,
according to the HSE, zero.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Oct 30, 11:03*pm, Peter Parry wrote:

1. discharge resistors do fail

Indeed, every few hundred years.

2. components without such resistors get substituted during mfr now
and then

Do they? *Can you name a manufacturer who does this?

no mfr does it on an ongoing basis. Substandard batches of goods are
hardly newsworthy though.

As for your rather hysterical claim that "If I relied on this dense
advice I'd be long dead." the number of people killed by domestic

Its not hysterical, its a statement of fact.

microwave ovens (in either use or repair) in the UK since 1980 is,
according to the HSE, zero.

I didnt know they collected stats on it

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 14:54:42 -0700 (PDT), NT
wrote:

On Oct 31, 1:35*pm, Peter Parry wrote:

As for your rather hysterical claim that "If I relied on this dense
advice I'd be long dead." the number of people killed by domestic

Its not hysterical, its a statement of fact.

No, merely uninformed opinion.

microwave ovens (in either use or repair) in the UK since 1980 is,
according to the HSE, zero.

I didnt know they collected stats on it

What do you think you pay them for?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Oct 31, 1:35*pm, Peter Parry wrote:

As for your rather hysterical claim that "If I relied on this dense
advice I'd be long dead." the number of people killed by domestic

Its not hysterical, its a statement of fact.

No, merely uninformed opinion.

Since I've had nice sparks from such things despite them sitting
longer than your 1 day, how can this be 'opinion'?

Your notion that resistors almost never fail is naive. In real life
they're subject to conditions that do cause failures at times, they're
not kept within all the conditions of the data sheet tests. Vibration,
voltage overloads, physical shock, mechanical stress, these thing
happen irl, and failures follow.

microwave ovens (in either use or repair) in the UK since 1980 is,
according to the HSE, zero.

I didnt know they collected stats on it

What do you think you pay them for?

That doesnt even address the question of how they collect stats on
microwave deaths, and whether it covers all cases.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 01:07:09 -0800 (PST), NT
wrote:

On Oct 31, 10:14*pm, Peter Parry wrote:

Your notion that resistors almost never fail is naive. In real life
they're subject to conditions that do cause failures at times, they're
not kept within all the conditions of the data sheet tests. Vibration,
voltage overloads, physical shock, mechanical stress, these thing
happen irl, and failures follow.

I haven't come across too many domestic microwave ovens operating in
hostile environments (unless of course you count children as a hostile
environment) but that is why MIL-HDBK-217F is so much more useful
than data sheets as it models such excursions from the norm. Using
the ground mobile model - the microwave in a cross country vehicle
used cross country - the reliability does, as you say, drop. The MTBF
goes down to merely 4,000,000 hours

What do you think you pay them for?

That doesnt even address the question of how they collect stats on
microwave deaths, and whether it covers all cases.

They gather information on all industrial and commercial accidents.
Until about two years ago they were also funded to collect domestic
accident information from fire, hospital and ambulance service
reports. While it is always possible for things to slip through it
remains a fact that screwdrivers have killed more people in accidents
than microwave ovens.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On Oct 31, 10:14*pm, Peter Parry wrote:

Your notion that resistors almost never fail is naive. In real life
they're subject to conditions that do cause failures at times, they're
not kept within all the conditions of the data sheet tests. Vibration,
voltage overloads, physical shock, mechanical stress, these thing
happen irl, and failures follow.

I haven't come across too many domestic microwave ovens operating in
hostile environments (unless of course you count children as a hostile
environment) but that is why *MIL-HDBK-217F is so much more useful
than data sheets as it models such excursions from the norm. *Using
the ground mobile model - the microwave in a cross country vehicle
used cross country - the reliability does, as you say, drop. *The MTBF
goes down to merely 4,000,000 hours

Do you think all chinese manufacturers adhere to such standards at all
times?

More importantly, we have 65 million people in the UK and IIRC around
20 million households. So say around 20 million domestic microwaves.
Each one of those is plugged in 8760 hours per year. Now, how many
discharge resistor failures would you expect to see per year in the UK
in domestic microwaves using your figures?

What do you think you pay them for?

That doesnt even address the question of how they collect stats on
microwave deaths, and whether it covers all cases.

They gather information on all industrial and commercial accidents.
Until about two years ago they were also funded to collect domestic
accident information from fire, hospital and ambulance service
reports. *While it is always possible for things to slip through it
remains a fact that screwdrivers have killed more people in accidents
than microwave ovens.

1. Could that be because so few people are unwise eough to repair them
without discharging the cap
2. This kind of foolishness would be found outside of insustry rather
than in it.
3. Amulance and fire brigade aren't always called for a dead person.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 02:16:32 -0800 (PST), NT
wrote:

On Nov 1, 9:39*am, Peter Parry wrote:

I haven't come across too many domestic microwave ovens operating in
hostile environments (unless of course you count children as a hostile
environment) but that is why *MIL-HDBK-217F is so much more useful
than data sheets as it models such excursions from the norm. *Using
the ground mobile model - the microwave in a cross country vehicle
used cross country - the reliability does, as you say, drop. *The MTBF
goes down to merely 4,000,000 hours

Do you think all chinese manufacturers adhere to such standards at all
times?

It isn't a manufacturing standard but a method of predicting failure.

More importantly, we have 65 million people in the UK and IIRC around
20 million households. So say around 20 million domestic microwaves.
Each one of those is plugged in 8760 hours per year. Now, how many
discharge resistor failures would you expect to see per year in the UK
in domestic microwaves using your figures?

Now I know for sure you don't understand probability and risk. Almost
every week in the UK someone wins a multi-million pound prize in the
lottery. Almost every week in the UK more than one person dies, often
unexpectedly, while going to buy a ticket to enable them to win that
prize.

Should we ban the National Lottery on the grounds it kills so many
people?

Assume your figure of 20million microwaves is correct. The hours on
figure of 8760 is completely irrelevant as the capacitor is only
energised when the oven is cooking, a averaged figure of about 100
hours is probably more realistic but let's be real pessimists and say
each and every oven operates for 1 hour a day so about 400 hours per
year. A total of 8,000,000,000 per year

In the UK it is quite likely a dozen or so microwave ovens have faulty
drain resistors. Let's be real pessimist though and assume 100. That
gives a one in 200,000 chance of your oven having this particular
fault.

Let's further make the extraordinarily improbable assumption that
working on such an oven will invariably be fatal so that 1 in 200,000
is your chance of death.

Compare that with the chances of you dying in a road accident of about
1 in 17,000 or the chances of death in pregnancy of about 1 in 8,200.
I wonder how many husbands mention to their wives that pregnancy is
nearly 25 times more lethal than repairing a microwave oven without
precautions?

The reason the death rate from microwave oven repairs is zero is
because the chances of one happening are very remote.

1. Could that be because so few people are unwise eough to repair them
without discharging the cap

Nope.

2. This kind of foolishness would be found outside of insustry rather
than in it.

You obviously have little experience of industry.

3. Amulance and fire brigade aren't always called for a dead person.

I'm not aware of any instance where people lying dead on the floor by
the side of a smoking microwave have simply been placed in a relatives
car and delivered to the undertaker for burial but any sudden and
unexpected death requires a coroners inquest. The results of inquests
also went to the HSE.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On Nov 1, 9:39*am, Peter Parry wrote:
I haven't come across too many domestic microwave ovens operating in
hostile environments (unless of course you count children as a hostile
environment) but that is why *MIL-HDBK-217F is so much more useful
than data sheets as it models such excursions from the norm. *Using
the ground mobile model - the microwave in a cross country vehicle
used cross country - the reliability does, as you say, drop. *The MTBF
goes down to merely 4,000,000 hours

Do you think all chinese manufacturers adhere to such standards at all
times?

It isn't a manufacturing standard but a method of predicting failure.

every such assessment is based on certain specs or characteristics of
the component under assessment. Why you assume all manufactured leak
resistors conform to it I dont know. It does seem rather optimistic.

More importantly, we have 65 million people in the UK and IIRC around
20 million households. So say around 20 million domestic microwaves.
Each one of those is plugged in 8760 hours per year. Now, how many
discharge resistor failures would you expect to see per year in the UK
in domestic microwaves using your figures?

Now I know for sure you don't understand probability and risk. *Almost
every week in the UK someone wins a multi-million pound prize in the
lottery. *Almost every week in the UK more than one person dies, often
unexpectedly, while going to buy a ticket to enable them to win that
prize.

Should we ban the National Lottery on the grounds it kills so many
people?

Straw man.

Assume your figure of 20million microwaves is correct. *The hours on
figure of 8760 is completely irrelevant as the capacitor is only
energised when the oven is cooking, a averaged figure of about 100
hours is probably more realistic but let's be real pessimists and say
each and every oven operates for 1 hour a day so about 400 hours per
year. *A total of 8,000,000,000 per year

In the UK it is quite likely a dozen or so microwave ovens have faulty
drain resistors. *Let's be real pessimist though and assume 100.

8 billion over 4 million = 2,000. I forget the other figure you had,
but it still assumes all drain Rs are to spec, which for chinese mfred
goods is a bit optimistic.

*That
gives a one in 200,000 chance of your oven having this particular
fault.

Let's further make the extraordinarily improbable assumption that
working on such an oven will invariably be fatal so that 1 in 200,000
is your chance of death. *

but youre still making assumptions I simply dont believe are valid.
And the conclusions you reach just dont tally with real life
experience.

Compare that with the chances of you dying in a road accident of about
1 in 17,000 or the chances of death in pregnancy of about 1 in 8,200.
I wonder how many husbands mention to their wives that pregnancy is
nearly 25 times more lethal than repairing a microwave oven without
precautions?

The reason the death rate from microwave oven repairs is zero is
because the chances of one happening are very remote. *

1. Could that be because so few people are unwise eough to repair them
without discharging the cap

Nope.

2. This kind of foolishness would be found outside of insustry rather
than in it.

You obviously have little experience of industry.

sigh

3. Amulance and fire brigade aren't always called for a dead person.

I'm not aware of any instance where people lying dead on the floor by
the side of a smoking microwave have simply been placed in a relatives
car and delivered to the undertaker for burial but any sudden and
unexpected death requires a coroners inquest. *The results of inquests
also went to the HSE.

And I'm sure that all polish, african etc workers here follow all laws
to the letter. And involve the authorities when its the last thing
they need.

You're trying to asses this, but just making too many assumptions.

And even if we went with your figure, its still dumb to not put a
screwdriver across the terminals first. 4 seconds of trivial action to
avoid the risk of death.

NT

Broken Oven Light Endulini UK diy 4 June 18th 09 06:38 PM
OVEN CLOCK BROKEN MRS. CLEAN Home Repair 6 October 17th 06 02:22 AM
Broken fan assisted oven vera Electronics Repair 6 August 21st 05 06:54 PM
Samsung Microwave & GE Microwave oven Soyrunner Electronics Repair 5 March 15th 05 01:46 PM
Microwave broken, repair or replace Charles Spitzer Home Repair 8 May 11th 04 12:05 AM