Posted to uk.d-i-y
John L John L is offline

Default microwave oven broken

In article ,
Peter Parry wrote:

What are the risks: that if you put it back together badly radiation
will spray out everywhere?

Fairly minimal unless you have a masters degree in incompetence. The
capacitor is the dangerous bit when working inside as it stores a high
voltage charge with quite a bit of energy, a dangerous combination.
You can discharge this using a simple tool but leaving it switched off
for a day before playing inside also works well.

Oh? The guy at our local shop said capacitors can store fatal doses for
up to *three months*. Whether he's right or wrong, he did me the favour
of alerting me to use extreme caution when I had the back off (without
success - see another post).

John