Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default I don't know what to call these

Reading the thread about compound sliding mitre saws, Roger mills wrote
that he mounted his to a piece of kitchen work top. I don't want mine to
be mounted with nuts and bolts, but there are over centre
levers/fasteners that would allow quick fastening and release. Anyone
know where I can find some with about a 10 mm screw thread? Or do I have
to make my own?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:56:23 +0100, Dave wrote:

Reading the thread about compound sliding mitre saws, Roger mills wrote
that he mounted his to a piece of kitchen work top. I don't want mine to
be mounted with nuts and bolts, but there are over centre
levers/fasteners that would allow quick fastening and release. Anyone
know where I can find some with about a 10 mm screw thread? Or do I have
to make my own?

Dave

Have a look here under vices, etc: http://www.axminster.co.uk

If you don't see exactly what you want you might get some ideas for making
your own. You can also use G-clamps or similar although not strictly quick
release.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Cicero wrote:

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:56:23 +0100, Dave wrote:

Reading the thread about compound sliding mitre saws, Roger mills
wrote that he mounted his to a piece of kitchen work top. I don't
want mine to be mounted with nuts and bolts, but there are over
centre levers/fasteners that would allow quick fastening and
release. Anyone know where I can find some with about a 10 mm screw
thread? Or do I have to make my own?

Dave

Have a look here under vices, etc: http://www.axminster.co.uk

If you don't see exactly what you want you might get some ideas for
making your own. You can also use G-clamps or similar although not
strictly quick release.

Cic.

The feet of the mitre saw in question have sloping upper surfaces - so it's
very difficult clamp it firmly to a surface using G-clamps or similar. You
could screw it to a couple of strips of wood, and clamp *those* to a surface
with G-clamps or quick-release bar clamps.
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:

Reading the thread about compound sliding mitre saws, Roger Mills
wrote that he mounted his to a piece of kitchen work top. I don't
want mine to be mounted with nuts and bolts, but there are over
centre levers/fasteners that would allow quick fastening and release.
Anyone know where I can find some with about a 10 mm screw thread? Or
do I have to make my own?

Dave

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but Screwfix do "Workbench Clamps"
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...hbutton=submit

[ Or http://tinyurl.com/ybkz7kj ]
Is that the sort of thing you mean?
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:37:57 GMT, Cicero wrote:

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 20:56:23 +0100, Dave wrote:

Reading the thread about compound sliding mitre saws, Roger mills wrote
that he mounted his to a piece of kitchen work top. I don't want mine to
be mounted with nuts and bolts, but there are over centre
levers/fasteners that would allow quick fastening and release. Anyone
know where I can find some with about a 10 mm screw thread? Or do I have
to make my own?

Dave

Have a look here under vices, etc: http://www.axminster.co.uk

If you don't see exactly what you want you might get some ideas for making
your own. You can also use G-clamps or similar although not strictly quick
release.

Cic.

Ta for the suggestion - very useful method. Are these the things on this
page?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/find.asp?...4FF56 HA8NS41
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Sep 2009 22:26:40 +0100, PeterC wrote:

[...]

Sorry, I can't comment because the page you reference only shows a nearly
blank page. Try a quick browse through vices, etc. as I suggested.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave wrote:
Reading the thread about compound sliding mitre saws, Roger mills wrote
that he mounted his to a piece of kitchen work top. I don't want mine to
be mounted with nuts and bolts, but there are over centre
levers/fasteners that would allow quick fastening and release. Anyone
know where I can find some with about a 10 mm screw thread? Or do I have
to make my own?

Dave

Toggle clamps.
Axminster type B are most likely to suit but I doubt they will have a
10mm thread.

try http://uk.rs-online.com/web/ for industrial sizes clamps that might
go up to 10mm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 08:05:37 +0100, Bob Minchin dangling via a dongle
wrote:

Dave wrote:
Reading the thread about compound sliding mitre saws, Roger mills wrote
that he mounted his to a piece of kitchen work top. I don't want mine to
be mounted with nuts and bolts, but there are over centre
levers/fasteners that would allow quick fastening and release. Anyone
know where I can find some with about a 10 mm screw thread? Or do I have
to make my own?

Dave

Toggle clamps.
Axminster type B are most likely to suit but I doubt they will have a
10mm thread.

try http://uk.rs-online.com/web/ for industrial sizes clamps that might
go up to 10mm

One there rated at 250kg! Four of those should hold even an angle grinder.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/yd9m937
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
try http://uk.rs-online.com/web/ for industrial sizes clamps that might
go up to 10mm

One there rated at 250kg!

only the 400kg one has M10 thread.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave writes:

Reading the thread about compound sliding mitre saws, Roger
mills wrote that he mounted his to a piece of kitchen work
top. I don't want mine to be mounted with nuts and bolts,
but there are over centre levers/fasteners that would allow
quick fastening and release. Anyone know where I can find
some with about a 10 mm screw thread? Or do I have to make
my own?

If you can't find that, rather than nuts and bolts, I've used prong-tees
and wing-bolts (wing-screws/thumb-screws) to fasten things to my
workmate. The prong tees stay attached, and the wing bolts don't take
long to twiddle in and tighten.

I got some of them from here
http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/Plastic%20handwheels,%20knobs%20&%20grips/T-Grips%20-%20Screws%20-%20Wing%20Screws%20-%20Grips/,
I think.

--
Jón Fairbairn
http://www.chaos.org.uk/~jf/Stuff-I-dont-want.html (updated 2009-01-31)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Mills wrote:
Dave wrote:

Reading the thread about compound sliding mitre saws, Roger Mills
wrote that he mounted his to a piece of kitchen work top. I don't
want mine to be mounted with nuts and bolts, but there are over
centre levers/fasteners that would allow quick fastening and release.
Anyone know where I can find some with about a 10 mm screw thread? Or
do I have to make my own?

Dave

I'm not quite sure what you mean, but Screwfix do "Workbench Clamps"
http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;js...hbutton=submit

[ Or http://tinyurl.com/ybkz7kj ]
Is that the sort of thing you mean?

Yes, that's the sort of thing I had in my mind.

Thanks

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jon Fairbairn wrote:
Dave writes:

Reading the thread about compound sliding mitre saws, Roger
mills wrote that he mounted his to a piece of kitchen work
top. I don't want mine to be mounted with nuts and bolts,
but there are over centre levers/fasteners that would allow
quick fastening and release. Anyone know where I can find
some with about a 10 mm screw thread? Or do I have to make
my own?

If you can't find that, rather than nuts and bolts, I've used prong-tees
and wing-bolts (wing-screws/thumb-screws) to fasten things to my
workmate. The prong tees stay attached, and the wing bolts don't take
long to twiddle in and tighten.

I got some of them from here
http://www.wdsltd.co.uk/Plastic%20handwheels,%20knobs%20&%20grips/T-Grips%20-%20Screws%20-%20Wing%20Screws%20-%20Grips/,
I think.