Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Very OT, what do you call this?

This is very OT but I'm a regular reader/poster and I hope you will
help me.

My favorite army surplus store closed down and I need to buy a couple
of the belts they sold, but I don't know what it is called, to search
for it.

It's a heavy woven nylon or ??? belt, a little over an inch wide. It
has a little brass end to keep it from unravelling, but has no hole in
it for the buckle. Instead the end of the belt slides into the plain
brass buckle and sticks there (a little transverse rod in the buckle
squeezes on it when you try to pull the belt out of the buckle, and it
doesn't come out until you grab both ends of the rod with your thumb
and index finger and pull it back.)

It's good because the same belt works while you loser, or gain,
weight.

It comes in olive drab, khaki, black, dark blue, and maybe other
colors.

I called this an army belt, but searching for that gives everything
else but, including belts from foreign armies and belts with holes for
hanging canteens etc.

What is it called? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:42:20 -0400, mm
wrote:

-snip-
It's a heavy woven nylon or ??? belt, a little over an inch wide. It
has a little brass end to keep it from unravelling, but has no hole in
it for the buckle. Instead the end of the belt slides into the plain
brass buckle and sticks there (a little transverse rod in the buckle
squeezes on it when you try to pull the belt out of the buckle, and it
doesn't come out until you grab both ends of the rod with your thumb
and index finger and pull it back.)

It's good because the same belt works while you loser, or gain,
weight.

It comes in olive drab, khaki, black, dark blue, and maybe other
colors.

We called them web belts in the 1970ish Marines.

1300+ folks on Ebay still do---

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
[...]

You mean like this :
http://www.amazon.com/Military-Color.../dp/B0002IERBS

A google search for military belts will show lots of places for them.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:55:30 -0400, Jim Elbrecht
wrote:

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:42:20 -0400, mm
wrote:

-snip-
It's a heavy woven nylon or ??? belt, a little over an inch wide. It
has a little brass end to keep it from unravelling, but has no hole in
it for the buckle. Instead the end of the belt slides into the plain
brass buckle and sticks there (a little transverse rod in the buckle
squeezes on it when you try to pull the belt out of the buckle, and it
doesn't come out until you grab both ends of the rod with your thumb
and index finger and pull it back.)

It's good because the same belt works while you loser, or gain,
weight.

It comes in olive drab, khaki, black, dark blue, and maybe other
colors.

We called them web belts in the 1970ish Marines.

1300+ folks on Ebay still do---

Jim

I never heard the term before, but you and 1300+ ebayers can't be
wrong.

I think I did, but I'm not positive I ever heard the term army belt.
I may have just made it up.

Thanks a lot, Jim. Just what I needed to know.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 21:59:57 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Hey, that's it too. Maybe instead of the colors I usually get, I 'll
get bright red or, from Ebay, "gay rainbow".

A google search for military belts will show lots of places for them.

Thanks, Ralph.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

Military-Color-Web-Belts-Uniform

I think "web belt" is just fine, but the key is the buckle. from the
postings I see no clue as what its name is.

I have bought such belts in regular stores. I like them, but the quality
of the buckles leaves something to be desired. How well the work is
determined by how well jamming takes place. It depends upon the accuracy
of the slot. The buckle I have is too tinny to maintain good accruacy. I
have had to use vise grips to manipulate the slot.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

mm wrote in
:

[...]

I'm in NC in Ft Bragg country. Stores are all over the place here. Sample
of one. Pics on web site. They do ship. Maybe better pricing on both
products and shipping.

http://www.genjax.com
Posted to alt.home.repair
KC KC is offline

On Aug 21, 8:42*pm, mm wrote:
[...]

I recently bought a couple in assorted colors from my local Academy
Sports store.
Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 19:52:17 -0700, Salmon Egg
wrote:

In article ,
"Ralph Mowery" wrote:

Military-Color-Web-Belts-Uniform

I think "web belt" is just fine, but the key is the buckle. from the
postings I see no clue as what its name is.

I have bought such belts in regular stores. I like them, but the quality
of the buckles leaves something to be desired. How well the work is
determined by how well jamming takes place. It depends upon the accuracy
of the slot. The buckle I have is too tinny to maintain good accruacy. I
have had to use vise grips to manipulate the slot.

Well, in the past I have bought mine at Sunny's Surplus, but Sunny's
is no more. Bankrupt. All were good except one where the part with
teeth, that went into the belt, came out from the main part. I bend
the main part and I think that took care of it.

We'll, or I'll see what the quality is of whatever I buy. I may look
in stores around here also, if I see any. But I still needed to know
the name of what I was looking for.

It turns out, I said woven and you all said web, and the words are
closely related etymologically.

Actually my old ones haven't worn out, but I'm too fat for 42 inch.
So sad.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

KC wrote:
On Aug 21, 8:42 pm, mm wrote:
[...]

Hi,
I still have one in khaki color issued at boot camp in '61.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Fri, 21 Aug 2009 22:31:38 -0600, Tony Hwang
wrote:

What is it called? Thanks.

I recently bought a couple in assorted colors from my local Academy
Sports store.

Until I read this I forgot that there is a sporting goods store about
3 miles from here, from a chain in NYC. I may be near there today.

Hi,
I still have one in khaki color issued at boot camp in '61.

Wow. I can't top that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is it called? Thanks.

I recently bought a couple in assorted colors from my local Academy
Sports store.

Until I read this I forgot that there is a sporting goods store about
3 miles from here, from a chain in NYC. I may be near there today.

Hi,
I still have one in khaki color issued at boot camp in '61.

Wow. I can't top that.

Also check out Boy Scout or Royal Ranger supplies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"mm" wrote in message
This is very OT but I'm a regular reader/poster and I hope you will
help me.

My favorite army surplus store closed down and I need to buy a couple
of the belts they sold, but I don't know what it is called, to search
for it.

[--]

What is it called? Thanks.

Web belt - it's also available from hunting and fishing outlets - Bass Pro
Shops have them --

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Sun, 23 Aug 2009 22:23:29 -0400, "JimR" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
.. .
This is very OT but I'm a regular reader/poster and I hope you will
help me.

My favorite army surplus store closed down and I need to buy a couple
of the belts they sold, but I don't know what it is called, to search
for it.

[--]

What is it called? Thanks.

Web belt - it's also available from hunting and fishing outlets - Bass Pro
Shops have them --

Thanks. On the web, web belts were cheap but shipping high. I found
H&H Camping Store that had several colors, 2.95 to 3.95, in 3
lenghths.

Electronics etc. often cheaper on the web, not web belts.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I just bought one from Cabela's. No slip buckle. It is a fairly heavy
web belt. There was a choice of several colors and it was on sale.
Perhaps it still is. (Can't check, blocked at work)