Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default acetic acid wherefrom?

Where can I buy some dilute acetic acid from?

I've bought some Peelaway from the internet
to remove paint from plaster mouldings,
it's made of Sodium Hydroxide, an alkali
and it says i need dilute acetic acid to wash down afterwards.
The kit even includes Litmus paper to check its been neutralised!

I think its vinegar but that would stain the plasterwork wouldnt it?

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
Where can I buy some dilute acetic acid from?

I've bought some Peelaway from the internet
to remove paint from plaster mouldings,
it's made of Sodium Hydroxide, an alkali
and it says i need dilute acetic acid to wash down afterwards.
The kit even includes Litmus paper to check its been neutralised!

I think its vinegar but that would stain the plasterwork wouldnt it?

Clear vinegar? Look for non brewed condiment on the bottle. Probably the
cheapest one on sale in the supermarket.

--
*One nice thing about egotists: they don't talk about other people.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"george (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
Where can I buy some dilute acetic acid from?

I've bought some Peelaway from the internet
to remove paint from plaster mouldings,
it's made of Sodium Hydroxide, an alkali
and it says i need dilute acetic acid to wash down afterwards.
The kit even includes Litmus paper to check its been neutralised!

I think its vinegar but that would stain the plasterwork wouldnt it?

[g]

White vinegar is basically acetic acid and water. You can use it to
neutralise the sodium hydroxide. Depending on its concentration, it can
be quite agressive, so take suitable care.

Do not use malt vinegar - it also contains acetic acid but will smell and
stain.

FWIW, the modern chemical name for acetic acid is ethanoic acid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Steve" wrote in message
"george (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
Where can I buy some dilute acetic acid from?

I've bought some Peelaway from the internet
to remove paint from plaster mouldings,
it's made of Sodium Hydroxide, an alkali
and it says i need dilute acetic acid to wash down afterwards.
The kit even includes Litmus paper to check its been neutralised!

I think its vinegar but that would stain the plasterwork wouldnt it?

[g]

White vinegar is basically acetic acid and water. You can use it to
neutralise the sodium hydroxide. Depending on its concentration, it can
be quite agressive, so take suitable care.

Do not use malt vinegar - it also contains acetic acid but will smell and
stain.

FWIW, the modern chemical name for acetic acid is ethanoic acid.

I should have added that you can get it (white vinegar) from any any
supermarket.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george (dicegeorge) wrote:
Where can I buy some dilute acetic acid from?

I've bought some Peelaway from the internet
to remove paint from plaster mouldings,
it's made of Sodium Hydroxide, an alkali
and it says i need dilute acetic acid to wash down afterwards.
The kit even includes Litmus paper to check its been neutralised!

I think its vinegar but that would stain the plasterwork wouldnt it?

[g]

Is it oil based paint you're removing? Alkali strippers won't touch
emulsion.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Owain" wrote in message
On 11 Sep, 16:27, "Steve" wrote:
White vinegar is basically acetic acid and water. You can use it to
neutralise the sodium hydroxide. Depending on its concentration, it can

snip

..
Would it be the "non brewed condiment" stuff?

Owain

No sure. I found an old bottle which says "The Original Cross & Blackwell
Sarson's Vinegar Distilled Malt". The label also says 'traditionally
brewed" so mine can't be the"non brewed" kind! I don't think it really
matters though - if its the colourless, clear type (looks like water) it
should be fine.

It still smells vinegary though. I'd be tempted to test it (diluted to the
concetration needed) on something that can be left outside to make sure the
smell clears when the acid dries out. Good ventilation if used indoors
would be important. If the OP reads this, he might want to bear it in
mind.

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

george (dicegeorge) wrote:
Where can I buy some dilute acetic acid from?

I've bought some Peelaway from the internet
to remove paint from plaster mouldings,
it's made of Sodium Hydroxide, an alkali
and it says i need dilute acetic acid to wash down afterwards.
The kit even includes Litmus paper to check its been neutralised!

I think its vinegar but that would stain the plasterwork wouldnt it?

[g]

Any acid will do. Citric acid (from winemakes suppliers) or even well
diluted brick acid (hydrochloric acid)

Malcolm
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
"george (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
Where can I buy some dilute acetic acid from?

I've bought some Peelaway from the internet
to remove paint from plaster mouldings,
it's made of Sodium Hydroxide, an alkali
and it says i need dilute acetic acid to wash down afterwards.
The kit even includes Litmus paper to check its been neutralised!

I think its vinegar but that would stain the plasterwork wouldnt it?

[g]

White vinegar is basically acetic acid and water. You can use it to
neutralise the sodium hydroxide. Depending on its concentration,
it can be quite agressive, so take suitable care.

Do not use malt vinegar - it also contains acetic acid but will smell
and stain.

FWIW, the modern chemical name for acetic acid is ethanoic acid.

Bloody hell. I'm not putting that on my chips..

Why did they change it then? And who said they could? :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:

.
Would it be the "non brewed condiment" stuff?

Owain

No sure. I found an old bottle which says "The Original Cross & Blackwell
Sarson's Vinegar Distilled Malt". The label also says 'traditionally
brewed" so mine can't be the"non brewed" kind! I don't think it really
matters though - if its the colourless, clear type (looks like water) it
should be fine.

It still smells vinegary though. I'd be tempted to test it (diluted to the
concetration needed) on something that can be left outside to make sure the
smell clears when the acid dries out. Good ventilation if used indoors
would be important. If the OP reads this, he might want to bear it in
mind.

Steve

The free stuff on the counter at the chippy is invariably non-brewed.

I would think twice before getting caustic soda anywhere near plaster as
it penetrates mercilessly and is then impossible to get rid of.
Neutralising it with acetic gives you salts that are almost as
troublesome as the original
Posted to uk.d-i-y
PJ PJ is offline

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Steve wrote:
"george (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
Where can I buy some dilute acetic acid from?

Do not use malt vinegar - it also contains acetic acid but will smell
and stain.

FWIW, the modern chemical name for acetic acid is ethanoic acid.

Bloody hell. I'm not putting that on my chips..

Why did they change it then? And who said they could? :-)

pre 1970, IIRC. You should see what they call citric acid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:51:48 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Steve wrote:
[...]

Don't worry - it's well diluted with dihydrogen monoxide.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
No sure. I found an old bottle which says "The Original Cross & Blackwell
Sarson's Vinegar Distilled Malt". The label also says 'traditionally
brewed" so mine can't be the"non brewed" kind! I don't think it really
matters though - if its the colourless, clear type (looks like water) it
should be fine.

If it's vinegar, it's brewed alcohol that's been oxidised (usually from beer
if it's malt, or any kind of distilled alcohol if it's spirit). If it's
non-brewed condiment it's food-grade industrial acid (probably from oil)
that's been watered down.

Either should be fine. It will smell vinegary by definition (the smell is
the acid evaporating, so you can't avoid it).

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
Where can I buy some dilute acetic acid from?

I've bought some Peelaway from the internet
to remove paint from plaster mouldings,
it's made of Sodium Hydroxide, an alkali
and it says i need dilute acetic acid to wash down afterwards.
The kit even includes Litmus paper to check its been neutralised!

I think its vinegar but that would stain the plasterwork wouldnt it?

[g]

Is it oil based paint you're removing? Alkali strippers won't touch
emulsion.

whoops
i think its emulsion which someone smothered the moulding with..
so the peelaway might not work...
[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

george (dicegeorge) wrote:

Stuart Noble wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
Where can I buy some dilute acetic acid from?

I've bought some Peelaway from the internet
to remove paint from plaster mouldings,
it's made of Sodium Hydroxide, an alkali
and it says i need dilute acetic acid to wash down afterwards.
The kit even includes Litmus paper to check its been neutralised!

I think its vinegar but that would stain the plasterwork wouldnt it?

[g]

Is it oil based paint you're removing? Alkali strippers won't touch
emulsion.

whoops
i think its emulsion which someone smothered the moulding with..
so the peelaway might not work...
[g]

It may break up the emulsion because of the prolonged soaking, but won't
dissolve it. I'd test a (very) small area first
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sep 12, 1:25*am, "george (dicegeorge)"
wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
Where can I buy some dilute acetic acid from?

I've bought some Peelaway from the internet
to remove paint from plaster mouldings,
it's made of Sodium Hydroxide, an alkali
and it says i need dilute acetic acid to wash down afterwards.
The kit even includes Litmus paper to check its been neutralised!

I think its vinegar but that would stain the plasterwork wouldnt it?

[g]

Is it oil based paint you're removing? Alkali strippers won't touch
emulsion.

whoops
i think its emulsion which someone smothered the moulding with..
so the peelaway might not work...
[g]

emulsion forms a very thin film, so is less troublesome re bulk. If
there's bulk there and its not oil paint, its likely to be distemper.
That's lime based and removes with acid.

A good way to get acetic and other things most chemists dont stock is
to look for a chemist's thats been there for decades and ask,
explaining what you'll do with it. Reasonable chance they'll still
have some things in stock from decades ago, and a person that would be
happy to sell such things, once they know you know how to handle the
stuff.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
[...]

Phew, thanks heavens for that. Hang on a minute! Isn't that lethal?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Stuart Noble wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
Where can I buy some dilute acetic acid from?

I've bought some Peelaway from the internet
to remove paint from plaster mouldings,
it's made of Sodium Hydroxide, an alkali
and it says i need dilute acetic acid to wash down afterwards.
The kit even includes Litmus paper to check its been neutralised!

I think its vinegar but that would stain the plasterwork wouldnt it?

[g]

Is it oil based paint you're removing? Alkali strippers won't touch
emulsion.

Nitromors shifts emulsion, use it all the time to get emulsion paint off
copper pipes.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:51:56 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

White vinegar is basically acetic acid and water. You can use it
to neutralise the sodium hydroxide. Depending on its
concentration, it can be quite agressive, so take suitable care.

Do not use malt vinegar - it also contains acetic acid but will
smell and stain.

FWIW, the modern chemical name for acetic acid is ethanoic acid.

Bloody hell. I'm not putting that on my chips..

Why did they change it then? And who said they could? :-)

Don't worry - it's well diluted with dihydrogen monoxide.

Phew, thanks heavens for that. Hang on a minute! Isn't that lethal?

Well, the water companies are doing their best to eliminate it from the
pipes before it reaches us, so there must be something wrong with it. If it
were saleable they'd charge us for it.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default acetic acid wherefrom? - plaster peelaway

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
[...]

White Vinegar is the acetic acid I need, thanks,
I will try a big supermarket for it tomorrow,
its used for trendy green organic cleaning,
plus rubber gloves etc.

But someone here said alkali strippers wont touch emulsion.
There are thick layers of emulsion on the mouldings,
it took me an hour to clear up a foot of it with plastic scraper water
and toothbrush.

Peelaway1 label says it will remove
any combination of household paints and varnishes containing oil, lead,
polyurethane or water
so i'm hoping it will work.

I will apply a thin layer on a test patch out of view,
and then cover it with the gauze
and try and peel it off after an hour or two.

here's a photo of it
http://www.dicegeorge.com/psb/psimg/...aster-snug.jpg

[g]
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
[...]

Good looking stuff. I can understand why you want to restore it.

For all I know Peelaway may contain things other than sodium hydroxide
to lift emulsion but, if it doesn't work, you could try one of the new
Eco strippers

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.a...80&src=froogle

Ludicrously expensive of course but you may find a wood finishing trade
place will have their own version. "French polish suppliers" in yellow
pages?
As a cheap d-i-y experiment you could try loading a section with thick
wallpaper paste and leaving it overnight. The soaking action plus
gravity might pull the top layer off.
Whatever you use it's gonna be a labour of love I fear :-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
Stuart Noble wrote:
george (dicegeorge) wrote:
[...]

here's a photo of ithttp://www.dicegeorge.com/psb/psimg/hfc-plaster-snug.jpg

[g]

With something that old the bulk paint is normally distemper and/or
oil paint. Emulsion doesnt normally form bulk.

NT

What rcd box for old wiring 30ma or 100ma asnd wherefrom? John Rumm UK diy 4 November 22nd 08 02:10 AM
What rcd box for old wiring 30ma or 100ma asnd wherefrom? [email protected] UK diy 0 November 19th 08 03:36 PM
Acid wstiefer Metalworking 7 March 11th 08 09:48 PM
Rust Removal: Source for cheap Vinegar or Acetic Acid?? bear Metalworking 7 August 3rd 07 08:05 PM
Acid Weatherlawyer UK diy 23 June 27th 06 10:31 PM