Posted to uk.d-i-y
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Default acetic acid wherefrom?

Steve wrote:
No sure. I found an old bottle which says "The Original Cross & Blackwell
Sarson's Vinegar Distilled Malt". The label also says 'traditionally
brewed" so mine can't be the"non brewed" kind! I don't think it really
matters though - if its the colourless, clear type (looks like water) it
should be fine.

If it's vinegar, it's brewed alcohol that's been oxidised (usually from beer
if it's malt, or any kind of distilled alcohol if it's spirit). If it's
non-brewed condiment it's food-grade industrial acid (probably from oil)
that's been watered down.

Either should be fine. It will smell vinegary by definition (the smell is
the acid evaporating, so you can't avoid it).

Theo