Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default acetic acid wherefrom?

PeterC wrote:
On Fri, 11 Sep 2009 17:51:48 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Steve wrote:
"george (dicegeorge)" wrote in message
Where can I buy some dilute acetic acid from?

I've bought some Peelaway from the internet
to remove paint from plaster mouldings,
it's made of Sodium Hydroxide, an alkali
and it says i need dilute acetic acid to wash down afterwards.
The kit even includes Litmus paper to check its been neutralised!

I think its vinegar but that would stain the plasterwork wouldnt
it?

[g]
White vinegar is basically acetic acid and water. You can use it
to neutralise the sodium hydroxide. Depending on its
concentration, it can be quite agressive, so take suitable care.

Do not use malt vinegar - it also contains acetic acid but will
smell and stain.

FWIW, the modern chemical name for acetic acid is ethanoic acid.

Bloody hell. I'm not putting that on my chips..

Why did they change it then? And who said they could? :-)

Don't worry - it's well diluted with dihydrogen monoxide.

Phew, thanks heavens for that. Hang on a minute! Isn't that lethal?

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk