Posted to uk.d-i-y
PeterC PeterC is offline

Default acetic acid wherefrom?

On Sat, 12 Sep 2009 07:51:56 GMT, The Medway Handyman wrote:

White vinegar is basically acetic acid and water. You can use it
to neutralise the sodium hydroxide. Depending on its
concentration, it can be quite agressive, so take suitable care.

Do not use malt vinegar - it also contains acetic acid but will
smell and stain.

FWIW, the modern chemical name for acetic acid is ethanoic acid.

Bloody hell. I'm not putting that on my chips..

Why did they change it then? And who said they could? :-)

Don't worry - it's well diluted with dihydrogen monoxide.

Phew, thanks heavens for that. Hang on a minute! Isn't that lethal?

Well, the water companies are doing their best to eliminate it from the
pipes before it reaches us, so there must be something wrong with it. If it
were saleable they'd charge us for it.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.