Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default acetic acid wherefrom?

Steve wrote:
"Owain" wrote in message
On 11 Sep, 16:27, "Steve" wrote:
White vinegar is basically acetic acid and water. You can use it to
neutralise the sodium hydroxide. Depending on its concentration, it can

snip

.
Would it be the "non brewed condiment" stuff?

Owain

No sure. I found an old bottle which says "The Original Cross & Blackwell
Sarson's Vinegar Distilled Malt". The label also says 'traditionally
brewed" so mine can't be the"non brewed" kind! I don't think it really
matters though - if its the colourless, clear type (looks like water) it
should be fine.

It still smells vinegary though. I'd be tempted to test it (diluted to the
concetration needed) on something that can be left outside to make sure the
smell clears when the acid dries out. Good ventilation if used indoors
would be important. If the OP reads this, he might want to bear it in
mind.

Steve

The free stuff on the counter at the chippy is invariably non-brewed.

I would think twice before getting caustic soda anywhere near plaster as
it penetrates mercilessly and is then impossible to get rid of.
Neutralising it with acetic gives you salts that are almost as
troublesome as the original