Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shower electrics

Shortly, I will have to remove the power shower unit from the bathroom
wall. Though I can remove the fuse that feeds it, what do I have to do
with the 3 cores coming out of the wall to make it safe?

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave wrote:
Shortly, I will have to remove the power shower unit from the bathroom
wall. Though I can remove the fuse that feeds it, what do I have to do
with the 3 cores coming out of the wall to make it safe?

Switch off the CU and remove the cover. Disconnect the cable completely.
You can tape up the ends and leave inside the CU in case it's needed later.

Do something similar at the other end if you can - you just never know.

Dave

--
*I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:
Shortly, I will have to remove the power shower unit from the bathroom
wall. Though I can remove the fuse that feeds it, what do I have to do
with the 3 cores coming out of the wall to make it safe?

Switch off the CU and remove the cover. Disconnect the cable completely.
You can tape up the ends and leave inside the CU in case it's needed later.

Do something similar at the other end if you can - you just never know.

I am hoping that I can put back the same power shower pump if I can
repair it, but it might well be off the tiled wall for some time.

John's idea sounds good, further down. By the way, the shower is tapped
off the upstairs ring to a fuse and isolating switch in the airing
cupboard before going under the bathroom floor and up the wall behind
the plaster and tiles.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
Dave wrote:
Shortly, I will have to remove the power shower unit from the bathroom
wall. Though I can remove the fuse that feeds it, what do I have to do
with the 3 cores coming out of the wall to make it safe?

Assuming you can disconnect all the wires at the supply (or connect them
all to earth), you could then hack out a bit of plaster and entomb them.
I would probably make off the ends in an insulated crimp first.

That sounds good, but I may want to put the shower back if I can repair
it. There will be a hole in the tile for the cable to connect to the
shower, so I might be able to hide the ends behind a plastic cover
siliconed on. There is no way we can use the shower head without the
pump and we don't have a hand held version, would this be a temporary
solution?

Answering Dave's reply, it set me thinking about the routing of the
cable. When I fitted this shower, I tapped into the bath pipes and ran
them from under the bath, out side the panel and up a trunking that was
tight up to the bath along with the cable (high temp. spec) for the
pump. Now, I am not sure if the plumber re ran them to conform with
regs. (vertical/horizontal) I'll get my detectors on the job am. I have
bad feelings about this :-(

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:
Shortly, I will have to remove the power shower unit from the
bathroom wall. Though I can remove the fuse that feeds it, what do I
have to do with the 3 cores coming out of the wall to make it safe?

Switch off the CU and remove the cover. Disconnect the cable
completely. You can tape up the ends and leave inside the CU in case
it's needed later.

Do something similar at the other end if you can - you just never
know.

I am hoping that I can put back the same power shower pump if I can
repair it, but it might well be off the tiled wall for some time.

John's idea sounds good, further down. By the way, the shower is tapped
off the upstairs ring to a fuse and isolating switch in the airing
cupboard before going under the bathroom floor and up the wall behind
the plaster and tiles.

Ah - it's a pump. Same applies, though - disconnect the cable totally at
the isolating switch.

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dave wrote:
[...]

Pump, mixer, temperature and flow control. (Mirage Powerforce)

Thanks.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Dave wrote:
Answering Dave's reply, it set me thinking about the routing of the
cable. When I fitted this shower, I tapped into the bath pipes and ran
them from under the bath, out side the panel and up a trunking that
was tight up to the bath along with the cable (high temp. spec) for
the pump. Now, I am not sure if the plumber re ran them to conform
with regs. (vertical/horizontal) I'll get my detectors on the job am.
I have bad feelings about this :-(

Where was this trunking? If its in the corner of the room then it is
within the expected cable routes anyway ;-)

It was the bath width away from the wall and fastened *on* it. Now there
is do indication that a cable is there. What I am bothered about now, is
did the plumber re-run the cable? I'll take the bath panel off when I
take the shower pump off and that should tell me, hopefully. I remember
him asking if I had any cable to do a re-run, but it was a very got day
in the bathroom and a cold pint was shouting my name when he did that
part of the job.

Dave

Electrics - is this right? Martin Pentreath UK diy 9 March 27th 09 10:34 AM
Tingle in shower - dodgy electrics ? Jethro UK diy 5 April 2nd 08 08:46 AM
Electrics CJC UK diy 72 December 14th 06 10:33 PM
When to do 2nd fix electrics? Dave Sharp UK diy 12 August 4th 05 09:26 PM
Shower electrics BigWallop UK diy 2 September 25th 03 11:44 AM