Dave Sharp

Default When to do 2nd fix electrics?

So, Part (taking the) P inspectors have been out to see first fix and said
OK. No electrical testing was done because there's nothing to test yet -
fair enough.

If we now plaster up all the chases before putting the nice new shiny white
sockets, switches etc., etc., in place and the final electrical testing
shows up a fault, then we have to dig out plaster again. However, if we do
it the other way round and put the sockets and switches on before we
plaster, they'll get all messy (and maybe wet) from the plastering.

May well be a silly question but which way round is the "correct" way?

Dave.

John White

On Thu, 4 Aug 2005 12:15:22 +0100, "Dave Sharp"
wrote:

If we now plaster up all the chases before putting the nice new shiny white
sockets, switches etc., etc., in place and the final electrical testing
shows up a fault, then we have to dig out plaster again. However, if we do
it the other way round and put the sockets and switches on before we
plaster, they'll get all messy (and maybe wet) from the plastering.

May well be a silly question but which way round is the "correct" way?

I assume you have the metal boxes in place, so fit the switches and
sockets after the plastering.

John
--
John White
SCA Electrical, Manchester http://www.scaelectrical.co.uk/
Christian McArdle

If we now plaster up all the chases before putting the nice new shiny
white
sockets, switches etc., etc., in place and the final electrical testing
shows up a fault, then we have to dig out plaster again.

You'd be terminally unlucky that the fault was actually within the cable,
especially if you do a quick continuity and insulation test on just the
cable itself before plastering.

Christian.

Dave Sharp

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
If we now plaster up all the chases before putting the nice new shiny

white
sockets, switches etc., etc., in place and the final electrical testing
shows up a fault, then we have to dig out plaster again.

You'd be terminally unlucky that the fault was actually within the cable,
especially if you do a quick continuity and insulation test on just the
cable itself before plastering.

Christian.

Thanks John and Christian for your quick replies and a good idea Christian
to do quick tests ourselves. Plasterer can now come in at his leisure.

Dave.

Richard Conway

Plasterer can now come in at his leisure.

And I'm sure he will

Lobster

Christian McArdle wrote:
If we now plaster up all the chases before putting the nice new
shiny white sockets, switches etc., etc., in place and the final
electrical testing shows up a fault, then we have to dig out
plaster again.

You'd be terminally unlucky that the fault was actually within the
cable, especially if you do a quick continuity and insulation test on
just the cable itself before plastering.

I'd agree. And the whole point of the original inspection was to check
all is OK at first-fix stage - ie circuit layouts, position of cable
runs etc - so there shouldn't be any scenario other than a run of faulty
cable (and how unlikely is that!) which could require plaster to be dug
out again.

If you have a digital camera, it might be worth doing what I do at this
stage and document everything photographically, so if someone does query
where a cable goes exactly, you can show a photo. (Never had cause to
do this yet, so can't confirm it works, but it reassures me! And it's
surprisingly useful to have this record in a few years time when when
you are trying to remember what you buried where...)

Oh by the way, as soon as your plasterer has gone, quickly go round all
the sockets and switch boxes and scrape out all the plaster which he
will have stuffed in there - much easier to do before it's set rock
hard. I've known plasterers cover socket boxes over so efficiently(?!)
that I've had to use a tape measure to work out their position, in order
to dig them out!

David
Christian McArdle

I've known plasterers cover socket boxes over so efficiently(?!)
that I've had to use a tape measure to work out their position,
in order to dig them out!

Yes, one of the common causes of continuity failures on ring circuits is
that one of the boxes has been totally plastered in and forgotten (assuming
the cable has actually been cut).

Christian.

Dave Sharp

"Lobster" wrote in message
Christian McArdle wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that David. Excellent idea about the camera!

Dave.

news

Dave Sharp wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote in
message . net...
If we now plaster up all the chases before putting the nice new
shiny white sockets, switches etc., etc., in place and the final
electrical testing shows up a fault, then we have to dig out
plaster again.

You'd be terminally unlucky that the fault was actually within the
cable, especially if you do a quick continuity and insulation test
on just the cable itself before plastering.

Christian.

Thanks John and Christian for your quick replies and a good idea
Christian to do quick tests ourselves. Plasterer can now come in at
his leisure.

Dave.

you're getting a plasterer in ? for plastering cable chases ?

news

Dave Sharp wrote:
"news" wrote in message
Dave Sharp wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote in
message . net...
If we now plaster up all the chases before putting the nice new
shiny white sockets, switches etc., etc., in place and the final
electrical testing shows up a fault, then we have to dig out
plaster again.

You'd be terminally unlucky that the fault was actually within the
cable, especially if you do a quick continuity and insulation test
on just the cable itself before plastering.

Christian.

Thanks John and Christian for your quick replies and a good idea
Christian to do quick tests ourselves. Plasterer can now come in at
his leisure.

Dave.

you're getting a plasterer in ? for plastering cable chases ?

No, the house is being completely refurbished - he's got five
ceilings and various other things to do as well as cable chases.
Having said that, he's a very good and very quick plasterer who could
have the cable chases done (if it was just that that needed doing) a
darn sight quicker and better than I could. He's also an old
schoolmate who does things for me at extremely good rates, so I
probably would have got him in just for that anyway )

Dave.

ah, gotcha. as you were ! )

Dave Sharp

"news" wrote in message
Dave Sharp wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote in
message . net...
[...]

Harry Bloomfield

Lobster formulated on Thursday :
Oh by the way, as soon as your plasterer has gone, quickly go round all
the sockets and switch boxes and scrape out all the plaster which he
will have stuffed in there - much easier to do before it's set rock
hard. I've known plasterers cover socket boxes over so efficiently(?!)
that I've had to use a tape measure to work out their position, in order
to dig them out!

A small metal detector will find buried cables and metal boxes in walls
in seconds.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 04 Aug 2005 12:15:22 +0100, Dave Sharp wrote:

So, Part (taking the) P inspectors have been out to see first fix and said
OK. No electrical testing was done because there's nothing to test yet -
fair enough.

If we now plaster up all the chases before putting the nice new shiny white
sockets, switches etc., etc., in place and the final electrical testing
shows up a fault, then we have to dig out plaster again. However, if we do
it the other way round and put the sockets and switches on before we
plaster, they'll get all messy (and maybe wet) from the plastering.

May well be a silly question but which way round is the "correct" way?

Dave.

If the design and installation is correct why do you think that it is
going to fail the inspection and test?
What sort of fault do you think the testing might be likely to show up
that would also require the cables being removed/replaced?