Posted to alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,uk.d-i-y

Default Tripe

On Aug 8, 7:12*pm, Mack A. Damia wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 14:02:37 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

Syd Little wrote in message
.. .
Would you eat this?

http://www.use.com/media/2009/0806/183604/p_001.jpg

[Ramsay]

He mentions, 'Accrington's Stanley' . *Must be the name of the tripe
shop. *I was born in Accy. *Great granny owned a tripe shop in
Clayton.

Ugh, i'm no great fan of Spam, but i'd eat that over tripe.

They love it in Italy, cut into strips and in thick tomato and basil
sauce.

It's still disgusting. I think it's the texture, more than the
taste ..

Paul.

Posted to alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 06:25:38 -0700 (PDT), zymurgy
wrote:

On Aug 8, 7:12*pm, Mack A. Damia wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 14:02:37 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

Syd Little wrote in message
.. .
Would you eat this?

http://www.use.com/media/2009/0806/183604/p_001.jpg

[Ramsay]

He mentions, 'Accrington's Stanley' . *Must be the name of the tripe
shop. *I was born in Accy. *Great granny owned a tripe shop in
Clayton.

Ugh, i'm no great fan of Spam, but i'd eat that over tripe.

They love it in Italy, cut into strips and in thick tomato and basil
sauce.

It's still disgusting. I think it's the texture, more than the
taste ..

Only way I'll eat it is with salt, pepper and vinegar. Then, I think
it's rather tasty.

Spam is okay but as I age (I'm 62) I find that I notice (and can
taste) the enormous amounts of sodium in canned goods - especially
Spam. For example, a small can of baked beans supplies over 100% of
the recommended daily allowance of sodium. I can feel my body swell
up from just reading the label.

I live in Mexico, and tripe is a staple of "menudo". I don't care for
it, though.
--
mad
Posted to alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,uk.d-i-y

In message , Mack A. Damia
writes

Spam is okay but as I age (I'm 62) I find that I notice (and can
taste) the enormous amounts of sodium in canned goods - especially
Spam. For example, a small can of baked beans supplies over 100% of
the recommended daily allowance of sodium. I can feel my body swell
up from just reading the label.

I think it was Mr Pennington, a food technician, who recommended
draining baked beans. His view was that the baked beans were fine, that
the problem was with all the crap: salt, sugar, msg, tomato paste etc in
the sauce. He maintained that there was far too much sugar and sauce
used as a bulking mouth-appeal agent in baked beans anyway and that one
was unlikely to notice the removal of most of it anyway.

Mrs Montage of the Full Monty Fame in Monty's Caff, Lennox Street,
Bognor Regis, drains baked beans as a matter of course so that her fine
breakfasts aren't swimming in the stuff. As a bonus it makes her
breakfast plates easier to
clean.

--
James Follett
Posted to alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 18:58:43 +0100, james
wrote:

In message , Mack A. Damia
writes

[...]

I'd be curious about the taste. I've often thought of making my own
baked beans from scratch, but I've never gotten a round tuit.

The sodium in canned food makes me recoil these days, though.
--
mad
Posted to alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,uk.d-i-y

In message , Mack A. Damia
writes
wrote:

I think it was Mr Pennington, a food technician, who recommended
draining baked beans. His view was that the baked beans were fine, that
the problem was with all the crap: salt, sugar, msg, tomato paste etc in
the sauce. He maintained that there was far too much sugar and sauce
used as a bulking mouth-appeal agent in baked beans anyway and that one
was unlikely to notice the removal of most of it anyway.

I'd be curious about the taste. I've often thought of making my own
baked beans from scratch, but I've never gotten a round tuit.

Why not give it a trial? All that's required is to leave a dollop of
beans from a can in a strainer. I doubt if you'll notice any difference
apart from the fact that little is drowned on your place.
--
James Follett

Posted to alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,uk.d-i-y

zymurgy coughed up some electrons that declared:

It's still disgusting. I think it's the texture, more than the
taste ..

Paul.

Texture = guts

Taste = guts

Yuk either way...

OTOH, I surprised a few people in China why actively enjoying a dish they
call "red tofu" - it's made with blood and soya bean curd and most people
assume it's too weird for foreign jonnies. Had to get the other half to
explain the delights of black pudding to them - then they understood :_0
Posted to alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,uk.d-i-y

On Aug 24, 10:31*pm, Tim S wrote:
zymurgy coughed up some electrons that declared:

It's still disgusting. I think it's the texture, more than the
taste ..

Texture = guts

Taste = guts

Yuk either way...

Ah, I /do/ like offal, just not tripe. Liver, bacon and onions, or a
good steak and kidney pie. I've also sampled Pagliata in Italy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagliata

Had to get the other half to explain the delights of black pudding to them

Well, I was born in Lancashire, so i'm no stranger to a good black
pud .. !

Cheers,

Paul.
Posted to alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,uk.d-i-y

zymurgy wrote:

Ah, I /do/ like offal, just not tripe. Liver, bacon and onions, or a
good steak and kidney pie. I've also sampled Pagliata in Italy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagliata

There's also

"Mazzarella alla Teramana: lamb entrails and curatella meat, rolled up
with endive leaves and stringed with lamb bowels"
Posted to alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 20:39:19 +0100, james
wrote:

In message , Mack A. Damia
writes
wrote:

I think it was Mr Pennington, a food technician, who recommended
draining baked beans. His view was that the baked beans were fine, that
the problem was with all the crap: salt, sugar, msg, tomato paste etc in
the sauce. He maintained that there was far too much sugar and sauce
used as a bulking mouth-appeal agent in baked beans anyway and that one
was unlikely to notice the removal of most of it anyway.

I'd be curious about the taste. I've often thought of making my own
baked beans from scratch, but I've never gotten a round tuit.

Why not give it a trial? All that's required is to leave a dollop of
beans from a can in a strainer. I doubt if you'll notice any difference
apart from the fact that little is drowned on your place.

Okay, worth a try. I love a can of Bush's baked beans with a nice
thick NY strip steak; they seem to go well together.
--
mad

Posted to alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,uk.d-i-y

On Aug 25, 2:59*am, (Steve Firth) wrote:
zymurgy wrote:
Ah, I /do/ like offal, just not tripe. Liver, bacon and onions, or a
good steak and kidney pie. I've also sampled Pagliata in Italy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pagliata

There's also

"Mazzarella alla Teramana: lamb entrails and curatella meat, rolled up
with endive leaves and stringed with lamb bowels"

Nice one.

"Lamb intestines are slit lengthwise, washed and rinsed thoroughly
(cleaning is completed by plunging them into flour and then rolling
them in it at least three times). When they are pale and clean, they
are washed again in water and vinegar. The pluck is then prepared,
cutting it into strips the length and width of a finger, which are
salted along with the intestines, then rinsed and left to drain. A
bouquet of chopped fresh garlic, parsley, endive leaves and fresh
onion is prepared separately. The pluck is then wrapped in the endive
leaves after seasoning the lamb intestines with the onion, parsley and
garlic. The parcel is now tied with the intestines and allowed to
drain and the “mazzarella” is ready to cook. “Mazzarelle” are cooked
in a saucepan just with oil, adding half a glass of water and white
wine after the oil and juices have been absorbed and evaporated.
Finally, a handful of marjoram leaves and a pinch of pepper are added.
The dish is served and consumed piping hot. "

Yum, I shall look out for them

Paul.

Posted to alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember zymurgy
saying something like:

Ugh, i'm no great fan of Spam, but i'd eat that over tripe.

They love it in Italy, cut into strips and in thick tomato and basil
sauce.

Mmm... tripe and onions boiled in milk.
Posted to alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,uk.d-i-y

On Aug 24, 5:23*pm, Mack A. Damia wrote:
On Mon, 24 Aug 2009 06:25:38 -0700 (PDT), zymurgy wrote:
On Aug 8, 7:12*pm, Mack A. Damia wrote:
On Sat, 8 Aug 2009 14:02:37 +0200, "JennyC"
wrote:

Syd Little wrote
Would you eat this?

http://www.use.com/media/2009/0806/183604/p_001.jpg

[Ramsay]

He mentions, 'Accrington's Stanley' . *Must be the name of the tripe
shop. *I was born in Accy. *Great granny owned a tripe shop in
Clayton.

Ugh, i'm no great fan of Spam, but i'd eat that over tripe.

Spam is okay but as I age (I'm 62) I find that I notice (and can
taste) the enormous amounts of sodium in canned goods - especially Spam.

I've just remembered, there's a variant of Spam in Italy that's not
canned, it's in the cured meat section, called Mortadella.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortadella

I live in Mexico

Ah. Not much call for spam there then, with all the other good food on
offer .. !

Paul.

Posted to alt.2eggs.sausage.beans.tomatoes.2toast.largetea.cheerslove,uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Syd Little wrote
Would you eat this?

http://www.use.com/media/2009/0806/183604/p_001.jpg

[Ramsay]

He mentions, 'Accrington's Stanley' . *Must be the name of the tripe
shop. *I was born in Accy. *Great granny owned a tripe shop in
Clayton.

Ugh, i'm no great fan of Spam, but i'd eat that over tripe.

Spam is okay but as I age (I'm 62) I find that I notice (and can
taste) the enormous amounts of sodium in canned goods - especially Spam.

I've just remembered, there's a variant of Spam in Italy that's not
canned, it's in the cured meat section, called Mortadella.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortadella

I live in Mexico

Ah. Not much call for spam there then, with all the other good food on
offer .. !

Unless you go to fairly expensive restaurants, you find an awful lot
of beans and rice in Mexican cooking. Boring but predictable with so
much poverty.

One of the Japanese fast-food chains started operating here years ago.
At first it was pretty decent, but then they tailored it more to the
Mexican palate - especially with the sauces and gravies which all seem
to taste the same.

I've had mortadella, and it's very tasty.
--
mad