Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cable rod compatibility

The other day I ordered a couple of accessories for my cable rods - a
small bullet torch to go on the end and a magnet and chain set. Much to
my annoyance, they don't match the thread size of my rods.

Hence I thought it would be handy to compile a list of which rods have
what threads etc.

The accessories I ordered were by Hellerman Tylon from CPC:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/re...Redirect=false

Alas they expect a larger thread diameter than the basic rods from
Screwfix.

The rods the basic £15 set from Screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A334482...s/Cable-Access

There is yet another make from TLC:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ods/index.html

Anyone got sets of any of these? Would you care to measure the thread
sizes / pitches etc?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:
The other day I ordered a couple of accessories for my cable rods - a
small bullet torch to go on the end and a magnet and chain set. Much to
my annoyance, they don't match the thread size of my rods.

Hence I thought it would be handy to compile a list of which rods have
what threads etc.

The accessories I ordered were by Hellerman Tylon from CPC:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/re...Redirect=false

Alas they expect a larger thread diameter than the basic rods from
Screwfix.

The rods the basic £15 set from Screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A334482...s/Cable-Access

There is yet another make from TLC:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ods/index.html

Anyone got sets of any of these? Would you care to measure the thread
sizes / pitches etc?

The Screwfix ones are from Super Rod

I have the cable "quick tool box set" (Screwfix 89981)

http://www.super-rod.co.uk/ProductShow.asp?ID=8

Thread size is M4.

The other Screwfix product (82483) looks like the Super Rod "Cable Quick
Kit" which would appear to also have an M4 thread.

===

Apparently the cable quick sets are not compatible with their pro range
(which appears to be called "Cable Rod")

===

The So-called Hellermann Tyton stuff from CPC is from the Super Rod
"Cable Rod" range.

===

The TLC-direct stuff is also from Super Rod...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Osborne" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

OK

The Super Rod set in my van measures 6mm for the diameter of the outside
thread and 8 threads per 10mm. This was measured by eye and using a tape
measure. Normally I would use my brothers mechanics skills to find an exact
size.

I have no idea how to convert that into a thread size.

I have some M6 roofing bolts in the van. These do the first couple of turns
onto the Super Rod before becoming tight.

Inside the Super Rod packaging there is a customer care tel no. 01459 792000

HTH

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:

I have the cable "quick tool box set" (Screwfix 89981)

http://www.super-rod.co.uk/ProductShow.asp?ID=8

Thread size is M4.

OK, I have the longer Super Rod set - and would agree with the M4 bit.

The other Screwfix product (82483) looks like the Super Rod "Cable Quick
Kit" which would appear to also have an M4 thread.

===

Apparently the cable quick sets are not compatible with their pro range
(which appears to be called "Cable Rod")

===

The So-called Hellermann Tyton stuff from CPC is from the Super Rod "Cable
Rod" range.

===

The TLC-direct stuff is also from Super Rod...

OK

The Super Rod set in my van measures 6mm for the diameter of the outside
thread and 8 threads per 10mm. This was measured by eye and using a tape
measure. Normally I would use my brothers mechanics skills to find an exact
size.

None of my metric taps fit the thread of the Hellerman torch accessory I
bought (still waiting for the magnet and chain set) the one marked 6 x
0.7 tap binds in the thread almost immediately, and the 6 x 1.0 tap
screws in a couple of turns before stopping. So I am guessing they are a
non metric thread.

I have no idea how to convert that into a thread size.

I have some M6 roofing bolts in the van. These do the first couple of turns
onto the Super Rod before becoming tight.

I would guess my 6 x 1.0 tap is the same as your bolt...

It does sound like your super rod set may be the same as the HT ones.

Inside the Super Rod packaging there is a customer care tel no. 01459 792000

I might give em a bell tomorrow.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

Most definately the same. It says Hellermann Tools on the worn sticker on
the outside of the tube and the Super Rod logo says it all.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Osborne wrote:
John Rumm wrote:
[...]

For sure...? My own version of that set from Screwfix (bought about four
years ago) is branded Silverline: certainly the online Screwfix picture
looks more like my set than the one on the Super Rod site. Don't know
what the thread size is - if I can dig out some known sizes of bolts I
will try and measure it.

David
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , John
Rumm writes
ARWadsworth wrote:

None of my metric taps fit the thread of the Hellerman torch accessory I
bought (still waiting for the magnet and chain set) the one marked 6 x
0.7 tap binds in the thread almost immediately, and the 6 x 1.0 tap
screws in a couple of turns before stopping. So I am guessing they are a
non metric thread.

I have no idea how to convert that into a thread size.

I have some M6 roofing bolts in the van. These do the first couple of turns
onto the Super Rod before becoming tight.

I would guess my 6 x 1.0 tap is the same as your bolt...

It does sound like your super rod set may be the same as the HT ones.

Inside the Super Rod packaging there is a customer care tel no. 01459 792000

I might give em a bell tomorrow.

Isn't M6 similar to 2BA?

--
John Alexander,

Remove NOSPAM if replying by e-mail
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"John" wrote in message
In article , John
Rumm writes
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

Probably 1/4" whitworth; - if it is a BA thread it would be 0BA not
2BA

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Silverline mini (12") are M4.
Stanlay fish tape (10m, round flexible nylon) is M4.

Glue the magnet in, they seem to pop out quite easily.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:16:15 +0100, had this to say:

On 16 Jul,
John wrote:

Isn't M6 similar to 2BA?

)BA is is interchangable with M6 in one direction. I can't remember if it's
nuts (just about) fit bolts or vice versa.

Contrary to popular belief, BA sizes were originally specified in metric.

BA is based on the metric system, apparently.

I don't know how the diameters evolved, but the thread pitch was based
on powers of 0·9mm, so that say, 0 BA is 0·9^0 (1mm), 1 BA is 0·9^1
(0·9mm).... 6 BA is 0·9^6 (0·531441mm), and so on.

I think this was rounded to the nearest 'mil' (1/1000 inch) in proper
English practice.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARWadsworth wrote:
"John Rumm" wrote in message
o.uk...
ARWadsworth wrote:

[...]

Tried your trick with the M6 bolt today on the Hellerman accessory -
gets about a couple of turns before stopping. The thread pitch seems
steeper than the metric one, Shame they don't make a male to male gender
changer - then I could just turn one side down and run a M4 die down it.

--
Cheers,

John.