Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default US/UK telephone compatibility

Question from my daughter..... who, having acquired a *sit up and beg*
American push button telephone wonders why it does not work when plugged
into her UK domestic telephone socket.

Vague fatherly explanations such as different voltage/pins used/etc.
have not satisfied:-)

I don't know the actual origin of the unit: nicked from some hotel or
purchased for normal use over there but I am sure someone in here will
be able to explain the problem.

regards

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
Question from my daughter..... who, having acquired a *sit up and

beg*
American push button telephone wonders why it does not work when

plugged
into her UK domestic telephone socket.

Vague fatherly explanations such as different voltage/pins used/etc.
have not satisfied:-)

I don't know the actual origin of the unit: nicked from some hotel

or
purchased for normal use over there but I am sure someone in here

will
be able to explain the problem.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Well at a very basic level, the plugs are different so perhaps it
isn't actually connected ?

AWEM

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
Question from my daughter..... who, having acquired a *sit up and beg*
American push button telephone wonders why it does not work when plugged
into her UK domestic telephone socket.

Vague fatherly explanations such as different voltage/pins used/etc.
have not satisfied:-)

I don't know the actual origin of the unit: nicked from some hotel or
purchased for normal use over there but I am sure someone in here will
be able to explain the problem.

regards

Should work if connected to the correct pins.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
Question from my daughter..... who, having acquired a *sit up and beg*
American push button telephone wonders why it does not work when plugged
into her UK domestic telephone socket.

Vague fatherly explanations such as different voltage/pins used/etc. have
not satisfied:-)

I don't know the actual origin of the unit: nicked from some hotel or
purchased for normal use over there but I am sure someone in here will be
able to explain the problem.

regards

Should work if connected to the correct pins.

It might also have a seperate dc supply as well. She should have pinched the
transformer as well.

Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23 Jun, 08:57, Tim Lamb wrote:
Question from my daughter..... who, having acquired a *sit up and beg*
American push button telephone wonders why it does not work when plugged
into her UK domestic telephone socket.

Vague fatherly explanations such as different voltage/pins used/etc.
have not satisfied:-)

I don't know the actual origin of the unit: nicked from some hotel or
purchased for normal use over there but I am sure someone in here will
be able to explain the problem.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Have you seen:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/4gu1
and section on foreign phones:
http://preview.tinyurl.com/dkccd ?
I must say Peter Parry's WPP Ltd website (the above links) have helped
me out on more than one occasion with my phone wiring issues, and even
gave me the confidence to DIY it. Thanks!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
Question from my daughter..... who, having acquired a *sit up and beg*
American push button telephone wonders why it does not work when plugged
into her UK domestic telephone socket.

Vague fatherly explanations such as different voltage/pins used/etc. have
not satisfied:-)

I don't know the actual origin of the unit: nicked from some hotel or
purchased for normal use over there but I am sure someone in here will be
able to explain the problem.

Normal US analog (sorry, analogue) phones will work in the UK, assuming you
have an adaptor to be able to plug them. However, as Peter Parry's site
says they will not actually ring, due to the ring voltage being applied to a
third pin which American phones simply do not have. A special adaptor will
fix this. Personally I've never noticed US phones sounding quiet on UK
lines.

If the phone doesn't work at all (eg, pickup handset, no dialtone) then she
probably doesn't have a normal US analog phone. It's probably using
propriety analog or digital signaling - if he phone is designed to work with
a PBX (so, a hotel phone might be a good example) then this is fairly
likely. Note that it may be possible to get it working if it is proprietary
analog phone - it may be that the signaling is the same, but the pins are
different. If it's digital you're screwed.

Caller ID is another story entirely (might work, might not depending on
phone - different signaling used in the US and UK.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JohnW wrote:
The Natural Philosopher, in article 1182586782.48319.3
@demeter.uk.clara.net, says...
Tim Lamb wrote:
Question from my daughter..... who, having acquired a *sit up and beg*
American push button telephone wonders why it does not work when plugged
into her UK domestic telephone socket.

Vague fatherly explanations such as different voltage/pins used/etc.
have not satisfied:-)

I don't know the actual origin of the unit: nicked from some hotel or
purchased for normal use over there but I am sure someone in here will
be able to explain the problem.

regards

Should work if connected to the correct pins.

I disagree :-) Well, it may work, but maybe not as expected.
The phone may be polarity sensitive so there would be a need
to get the A and B wires the right way round.

"If conected to the right pins"

Also if the
phone is from the period of analogue networks, or designed to
that standard, the US telephone system used a different level
plan to the UK one. The US phone will sound "quiet" on UK
networks.

Yes. But that isn't 'not working'

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Well at a very basic level, the plugs are different so perhaps it
isn't actually connected ?

As a matter of interest, does anyone in the world outside the UK
use UK phone plugs?

Is there any plan to standardize on this throughout the universe?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail (80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-23 13:01:44 +0100, Timothy Murphy said:

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Well at a very basic level, the plugs are different so perhaps it
isn't actually connected ?

As a matter of interest, does anyone in the world outside the UK
use UK phone plugs?

Yes.

Some places in the Middle East, Carribean, I believe

Is there any plan to standardize on this throughout the universe?

It's called an RJ-11

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Timothy Murphy wrote:
Well at a very basic level, the plugs are different so perhaps it
isn't actually connected ?

As a matter of interest, does anyone in the world outside the UK
use UK phone plugs?

Is there any plan to standardize on this throughout the universe?

Given the plethora of mains plugs even in Europe, I doubt it.

--
*I'm planning to be spontaneous tomorrow *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-23 13:57:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Well at a very basic level, the plugs are different so perhaps it
isn't actually connected ?

As a matter of interest, does anyone in the world outside the UK
use UK phone plugs?

No.

Channel Islands, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Israel, New Zealand, UAE, Zimbabwe

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Jun 23, 8:57 am, Tim Lamb wrote:

Hi,

Try a modem lead, if the lead works in a modem that only has the two
inner contacts in it's line socket it should be OK.

cheers,
Pete.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007 17:43:04 +0100, Andy Hall wrote:

As a matter of interest, does anyone in the world outside the UK
use UK phone plugs?

No.

Channel Islands, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Israel, New Zealand, UAE, Zimbabwe

Bahrain, or they did at Gulf War I time.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Piers
Finlayson writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
[...]

I knew this was going to get technical:-)

I will package up the various comments and pass them back to Son in Law
who is actually dealing with the issue.

It rather sounds as though *source* might be important so I will ask and
report back.

I think the connector is the same as the 4 pin line input on our BT
answer phone but there was no dial tone when this was tried.

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-23 13:57:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Well at a very basic level, the plugs are different so perhaps it
isn't actually connected ?

As a matter of interest, does anyone in the world outside the UK
use UK phone plugs?

No.

Channel Islands, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Israel, New Zealand, UAE, Zimbabwe

I stand by my statement ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-23 13:57:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Well at a very basic level, the plugs are different so perhaps it
isn't actually connected ?

As a matter of interest, does anyone in the world outside the UK
use UK phone plugs?

No.

Channel Islands, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Israel, New Zealand, UAE, Zimbabwe

I stand by my statement ;-)

Well I suppose if you consider that Tel Aviv has a street named after
General Allenby and New Zealand is like going back in time 13 hours and
30 years that's kind of true. Sheiks Khalifa and Mohanmmed are at
least anglophiles. OK, I'll buy that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
I think the connector is the same as the 4 pin line input on our BT
answer phone but there was no dial tone when this was tried.

The way these US connecters on phones and modems are wired doesn't appear
to be standard, even with just the two wires of the line. Dunno why.

--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of ****.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" writes:
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
I think the connector is the same as the 4 pin line input on our BT
answer phone but there was no dial tone when this was tried.

The way these US connecters on phones and modems are wired doesn't appear
to be standard, even with just the two wires of the line. Dunno why.

They are often designed for a 1-1 IDC connection to a UK-BT plug,
which is the wrong pair for a US socket. I've often found this to
be the case outside the UK too, so this doesn't appear to be a
UK-only phenomina.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Tim Lamb wrote:
I think the connector is the same as the 4 pin line input on our BT
answer phone but there was no dial tone when this was tried.

The way these US connecters on phones and modems are wired doesn't appear
to be standard,

They are standard in the USA. What a dumbo.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Lamb wrote:
I think the connector is the same as the 4 pin line input on our BT
answer phone but there was no dial tone when this was tried.

The way these US connecters on phones and modems are wired doesn't
appear to be standard,

They are standard in the USA. What a dumbo.

An expert on telecoms now. Where did you buy that qualification?

For your information they are used as input sockets on some phones and
modems in the UK too and anyone with the slightest experience would know
they aren't always wired the same. I wonder how many you've thrown away as
faulty after swopping leads...

--
*Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Tim Lamb wrote:
I think the connector is the same as the 4 pin line input on our BT
answer phone but there was no dial tone when this was tried.
The way these US connecters on phones and modems are wired doesn't
appear to be standard,

They are standard in the USA. What a dumbo.

An expert on telecoms now. Where did you buy that qualification?

For your information they are used as input sockets on some phones and
modems in the UK too and anyone with the slightest experience would know
they aren't always wired the same. I wonder how many you've thrown away as
faulty after swopping leads...

Yup. The dreaded modem with RJ11 to BT wire.. we ended up making up a
load of leads in both configs that we could identify, and always
carrying a few of each..

Almost as much fun as the great RS232 'standard' on D type plugs.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-23 13:57:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Well at a very basic level, the plugs are different so perhaps it
isn't actually connected ?

As a matter of interest, does anyone in the world outside the UK
use UK phone plugs?

No.

Channel Islands, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Israel, New Zealand, UAE, Zimbabwe

I stand by my statement ;-)

Well I suppose if you consider that Tel Aviv has a street named after
General Allenby and New Zealand is like going back in time 13 hours and 30
years that's kind of true. Sheiks Khalifa and Mohanmmed are at least
anglophiles. OK, I'll buy that.

I saw a 15A 3 pin socket in Jerusalem once. Relic of the British Mandate I
suppose.

--
Graham.
%Profound_observation%

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-23 13:57:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Well at a very basic level, the plugs are different so perhaps it
isn't actually connected ?

As a matter of interest, does anyone in the world outside the UK
use UK phone plugs?

No.

Channel Islands, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Israel, New Zealand, UAE, Zimbabwe

I stand by my statement ;-)

Well I suppose if you consider that Tel Aviv has a street named after
General Allenby and New Zealand is like going back in time 13 hours and 30
years that's kind of true. Sheiks Khalifa and Mohanmmed are at least
anglophiles. OK, I'll buy that.

I saw a 15A 3 pin socket in Jerusalem once. Relic of the British Mandate I
suppose.

There are still a few around. They are the standard thing in South
Africa and there are the 5A ones as well.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 1 Jul 2007 08:42:49 +0100, Andy Hall

On 2007-06-30 23:54:51 +0100, "Graham." said:

I saw a 15A 3 pin socket in Jerusalem once. Relic of the British Mandate I
suppose.

There are still a few around. They are the standard thing in South
Africa and there are the 5A ones as well.

There are still a *lot* around. They're a standard used for stage
lighting in theatres, even for new work. Normally single radial
circuits from a dimmer pack.

--
Frank Erskine

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-01 10:31:15 +0100, Frank Erskine

On 2007-06-30 23:54:51 +0100, "Graham." said:

I saw a 15A 3 pin socket in Jerusalem once. Relic of the British Mandate I
suppose.

There are still a few around. They are the standard thing in South
Africa and there are the 5A ones as well.

There are still a *lot* around. They're a standard used for stage
lighting in theatres, even for new work. Normally single radial
circuits from a dimmer pack.

True. I was talking about Israel though.

The main standard there is something similar to the European Schuko connector.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-23 13:57:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Well at a very basic level, the plugs are different so perhaps it
isn't actually connected ?

As a matter of interest, does anyone in the world outside the UK
use UK phone plugs?

No.

Channel Islands, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Israel, New Zealand, UAE, Zimbabwe

I stand by my statement ;-)

Well I suppose if you consider that Tel Aviv has a street named after
General Allenby and New Zealand is like going back in time 13 hours
and 30
years that's kind of true. Sheiks Khalifa and Mohanmmed are at least
anglophiles. OK, I'll buy that.

I saw a 15A 3 pin socket in Jerusalem once. Relic of the British
Mandate I
suppose.

There are still a few around. They are the standard thing in South
Africa and there are the 5A ones as well.

5A is a standard in the UK as well. All my lights run on them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-23 13:57:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Well at a very basic level, the plugs are different so perhaps it
isn't actually connected ?

As a matter of interest, does anyone in the world outside the UK
use UK phone plugs?

No.

Channel Islands, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Israel, New Zealand, UAE, Zimbabwe

Andy,

Would you care to speculate whether or not phones from countries that use UK
plugs are likely to have a similar electrical interface too?
I would like to use something that works on the UK system in Cyprus and
don't want to have a problem when I get there.

TIA

Bob

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-06-23 13:57:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Well at a very basic level, the plugs are different so perhaps it
isn't actually connected ?
As a matter of interest, does anyone in the world outside the UK
use UK phone plugs?

No.

Channel Islands, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Israel, New Zealand, UAE, Zimbabwe

Andy,

Would you care to speculate whether or not phones from countries that use UK
plugs are likely to have a similar electrical interface too?
I would like to use something that works on the UK system in Cyprus and
don't want to have a problem when I get there.

TIA

Bob

Almost certainly UK stuff will work.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2007-07-01 13:54:36 +0100, "Bob Minchin"

On 2007-06-23 13:57:23 +0100, The Natural Philosopher said:

Timothy Murphy wrote:
Andrew Mawson wrote:

Well at a very basic level, the plugs are different so perhaps it
isn't actually connected ?

As a matter of interest, does anyone in the world outside the UK
use UK phone plugs?

No.

Channel Islands, Cyprus, Hong Kong, Israel, New Zealand, UAE, Zimbabwe

Andy,

Would you care to speculate whether or not phones from countries that use UK
plugs are likely to have a similar electrical interface too?
I would like to use something that works on the UK system in Cyprus and
don't want to have a problem when I get there.

TIA

Bob

I don't take phones around any longer (at least not fixed line ones),
but I have never run into electrical interface problems.

I used to carry a set of phone adaptors and a screwdriver so that come
what may, I could get a connection unless the phone system was digital
of some kind.