Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARWadsworth ARWadsworth is offline

Default Cable rod compatibility

"Dave Osborne" wrote in message
John Rumm wrote:
The other day I ordered a couple of accessories for my cable rods - a
small bullet torch to go on the end and a magnet and chain set. Much to
my annoyance, they don't match the thread size of my rods.

Hence I thought it would be handy to compile a list of which rods have
what threads etc.

The accessories I ordered were by Hellerman Tylon from CPC:
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/search/re...Redirect=false
Alas they expect a larger thread diameter than the basic rods from
Screwfix.

The rods the basic £15 set from Screwfix:
http://www.screwfix.com/cats/A334482...s/Cable-Access
There is yet another make from TLC:
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Ind...ods/index.html
Anyone got sets of any of these? Would you care to measure the thread
sizes / pitches etc?

The Screwfix ones are from Super Rod

I have the cable "quick tool box set" (Screwfix 89981)

http://www.super-rod.co.uk/ProductShow.asp?ID=8

Thread size is M4.

The other Screwfix product (82483) looks like the Super Rod "Cable Quick
Kit" which would appear to also have an M4 thread.

===

Apparently the cable quick sets are not compatible with their pro range
(which appears to be called "Cable Rod")

===

The So-called Hellermann Tyton stuff from CPC is from the Super Rod "Cable
Rod" range.

===

The TLC-direct stuff is also from Super Rod...

OK

The Super Rod set in my van measures 6mm for the diameter of the outside
thread and 8 threads per 10mm. This was measured by eye and using a tape
measure. Normally I would use my brothers mechanics skills to find an exact
size.

I have no idea how to convert that into a thread size.

I have some M6 roofing bolts in the van. These do the first couple of turns
onto the Super Rod before becoming tight.

Inside the Super Rod packaging there is a customer care tel no. 01459 792000

HTH

Adam