Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT News Motzarella problems

I know this strictly speaking is OT, but I also know that there are
users of this reader here. Motzarella is changing. this is the germain
part of the email received:
Dear users of Motzarella.org,

for technical reasons the Motzarella reader servers

news.motzarella.org,
nntp.motzarella.org,
reader.motzarella.org,
reader80.motzarella.org and
reader443.motzarella.org

will will be replaced by the following servers:

news.eternal-september.org
reader80.eternal-september.org and
reader443.eternal-september.org

on July 1, 2009.

In order to make the transition as smooth as possible, the
*.eternal-september.org servers are available as of today.

All accounts and passwords will remain valid, as well as all registered
FQDNs in the motzarella.org and eternal-september.org domains.

Now I have tried .eternal-september but there are very few groups
available, certainly not this one. Taking advice on the web I simply
changed the server to the new name, it worked, but also (using
Seamonkey)had strange problems as was suggested it may in their email.
So I reverted to .mozilla.org that woks ok but all the posts are
duplicated now. Anyone moved over ok?

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Hi

Broadback wrote:
[...]

Yes - moved to the new servers yesterday...
Bit of a fiddle (using Thunderbird) - created a completely new account
and downloaded my usual newsgroups - including this one.

If you can't see the usual range of newsgroups then you're not properly
subscribed - in Thunderbird it's necessary to check the 'Always request
authentication when connecting...' box

Once you connect you'll need to mark all the duplicated posts as 'read'
(unless nostaligia is your thing g).

HTH

Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Adrian Brentnall" wrote in message
Hi

Broadback wrote:
[...]

Worked fine for me and yes, this group is there otherwise I wouldn't have
seen your post!

I suggest you follow their instructions and create a new account rather than
"Taking advice on the web I simply changed the server to the new name" as
they explicitly say not to do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Calvin Sambrook wrote:
SNIP

Worked fine for me and yes, this group is there otherwise I wouldn't
have seen your post!

I suggest you follow their instructions and create a new account rather
than "Taking advice on the web I simply changed the server to the new
name" as they explicitly say not to do that.

Many thanks to you both, sorted now with that good advice.

--
Please reply to group,emails to designated
address are never read.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fOn Thu, 18 Jun 2009 16:38:15 +0100, Broadback wrote:

[...]

I had to fiddle a bit in 40tude, then remembered that my password was not
the same as other places!
I've used reader443 as that's the port I'm on (I changed to Motz because
Tiscali blocks 119 in the evening).
Reloaded all of the newsgroups and had the full list, subscribed to the
same groups and when that worked moved over some kept, locked threads and
deleted the old server and it's all OK now - and seems quicker than before.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Broadback
writes

Now I have tried .eternal-september but there are very few groups
available, certainly not this one.

You haven't configured your newsreader to supply the username and
password you got when you signed up to Motzarella. You still need those
to sign into Eternal-September.

Anyone moved over ok?

Yes.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
JTM JTM is offline

In article ,
Broadback wrote:

Now I have tried .eternal-september but there are very few groups
available, certainly not this one. Taking advice on the web I simply
changed the server to the new name, it worked, but also (using
Seamonkey)had strange problems as was suggested it may in their email.
So I reverted to .mozilla.org that woks ok but all the posts are
duplicated now. Anyone moved over ok?

Took about 5 secs (Using RISC OS) (just changed the server name) but as the
numberings have changed, then spent a few secs to make sure I *ONLY*
downloaded the last x number of posts, to maintain the flow as it were

John

--
John Mulrooney

Glass, china and reputations are easily cracked, but never well mended.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Broadback wrote:
I know this strictly speaking is OT, but I also know that there are
users of this reader here. Motzarella is changing. this is the germain
part of the email received:
Dear users of Motzarella.org,

Was it just me who got a huge dump of usernames on this email:

Your user name on Motzarella.org: abc
Your user name on Motzarella.org: def123
Your user name on Motzarella.org: xyzxxy
Your user name on Motzarella.org: bill1324242
Your user name on Motzarella.org:

etc etc for 200KB?

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
JTM wrote:
In article ,
Broadback wrote:

Now I have tried .eternal-september but there are very few groups
available, certainly not this one. Taking advice on the web I simply
changed the server to the new name, it worked, but also (using
Seamonkey)had strange problems as was suggested it may in their email.
So I reverted to .mozilla.org that woks ok but all the posts are
duplicated now. Anyone moved over ok?

Took about 5 secs (Using RISC OS) (just changed the server name) but as
the numberings have changed, then spent a few secs to make sure I *ONLY*
downloaded the last x number of posts, to maintain the flow as it were

Crikey - another RISC OS user. That's three in this thread. ;-)

--
*When everything's coming your way, you're in the wrong lane *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19 Jun 2009 16:04:44 +0100 (BST), Theo Markettos wrote:

Broadback wrote:
I know this strictly speaking is OT, but I also know that there are
users of this reader here. Motzarella is changing. this is the germain
part of the email received:
Dear users of Motzarella.org,

Was it just me who got a huge dump of usernames on this email:

Your user name on Motzarella.org: abc
Your user name on Motzarella.org: def123
Your user name on Motzarella.org: xyzxxy
Your user name on Motzarella.org: bill1324242
Your user name on Motzarella.org:

etc etc for 200KB?

Theo

Yes, hundreds of them.
I've kept the email but edited it down to the useful bit.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 16:59:10 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Crikey - another RISC OS user. That's three in this thread. ;-)

Common as muck. Don't think there are any other OS/2 Warp 3 users...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Theo Markettos
writes

Was it just me who got a huge dump of usernames on this email:

No, I got them too.

Just waiting for the inevitable "Is Motzarella down?" posts from those
that didn't scroll to the bottom of the mail.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.
(")_(") http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 03:09:00 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , Theo Markettos
writes

Was it just me who got a huge dump of usernames on this email:

No, I got them too.

Just waiting for the inevitable "Is Motzarella down?" posts from those
that didn't scroll to the bottom of the mail.

Well, it did look like a spoof. I looked at a preview on the server and
read the headers before downloading it. That list was totally unecessary
and effectively hid the information.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , PeterC
writes

Well, it did look like a spoof. I looked at a preview on the server and
read the headers before downloading it. That list was totally unecessary
and effectively hid the information.

It was finger trouble by the Motzarella admin. He's only human.

--
(\__/)
(='.'=) Bunny says Windows 7 is Vi$ta reloaded.
(")_(") http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/windows_7.png

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:47:07 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , PeterC
writes

Well, it did look like a spoof. I looked at a preview on the server and
read the headers before downloading it. That list was totally unecessary
and effectively hid the information.

It was finger trouble by the Motzarella admin. He's only human.

Yes, I suppose so. It's too easy to send out data without realising it.
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian Brentnall
saying something like:

Yes - moved to the new servers yesterday...
Bit of a fiddle (using Thunderbird) - created a completely new account
and downloaded my usual newsgroups - including this one.

If you can't see the usual range of newsgroups then you're not properly
subscribed - in Thunderbird it's necessary to check the 'Always request
authentication when connecting...' box

In Agent you just 'sample headers in all groups' to the tune of 20 or
so, then whole thing is updated. Else the bugger tries to download the
entire history of Usenet.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 13:38:21 +0100, PeterC wrote:

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 09:47:07 +0100, Mike Tomlinson wrote:

In article , PeterC
writes

Well, it did look like a spoof. I looked at a preview on the server and
read the headers before downloading it. That list was totally unecessary
and effectively hid the information.

It was finger trouble by the Motzarella admin. He's only human.

Yes, I suppose so. It's too easy to send out data without realising it.

I do hope you all sent it back to him, the poor chap. :-)

Despite being a motz user I've never got a single email out of them (other
than the initial sign-up ones) - they've not been spam-trapped either. Odd.