Posted to uk.d-i-y
Adrian Brentnall Adrian Brentnall is offline

Default OT News Motzarella problems

Hi

Broadback wrote:
I know this strictly speaking is OT, but I also know that there are
users of this reader here. Motzarella is changing. this is the germain
part of the email received:
Dear users of Motzarella.org,

for technical reasons the Motzarella reader servers

news.motzarella.org,
nntp.motzarella.org,
reader.motzarella.org,
reader80.motzarella.org and
reader443.motzarella.org

will will be replaced by the following servers:

news.eternal-september.org
reader80.eternal-september.org and
reader443.eternal-september.org

on July 1, 2009.

In order to make the transition as smooth as possible, the
*.eternal-september.org servers are available as of today.

All accounts and passwords will remain valid, as well as all registered
FQDNs in the motzarella.org and eternal-september.org domains.

Now I have tried .eternal-september but there are very few groups
available, certainly not this one. Taking advice on the web I simply
changed the server to the new name, it worked, but also (using
Seamonkey)had strange problems as was suggested it may in their email.
So I reverted to .mozilla.org that woks ok but all the posts are
duplicated now. Anyone moved over ok?

Yes - moved to the new servers yesterday...
Bit of a fiddle (using Thunderbird) - created a completely new account
and downloaded my usual newsgroups - including this one.

If you can't see the usual range of newsgroups then you're not properly
subscribed - in Thunderbird it's necessary to check the 'Always request
authentication when connecting...' box

Once you connect you'll need to mark all the duplicated posts as 'read'
(unless nostaligia is your thing g).

HTH

Adrian