Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can't unlock door

I am having a problem unlocking a uPVC door. The key inserts and
turns as if it was OK but, at the point where I would expect the door
to unlock, it won't turn any further.

Is there anything simple I can try to get in?

--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:
I am having a problem unlocking a uPVC door. The key inserts and
turns as if it was OK but, at the point where I would expect the door
to unlock, it won't turn any further.

Is there anything simple I can try to get in?

I assume you have wiggled, pressed, pulled the handle whilst trying to
turn the key?
If so it is most likely that something has broken in the locking
mechanism rather than the the euro cylinder itself.

Maybe a locksmith type on here can give you a better hint.

Good luck

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
I am having a problem unlocking a uPVC door. The key inserts and
turns as if it was OK but, at the point where I would expect the door
to unlock, it won't turn any further.

Is there anything simple I can try to get in?

--
(\__/) M.

I assume you have tried to unlock it from both sides of the door?.... also
have you got a some spare keys to try?
Golden rule is always keep the original key as a master and only make copies
from that..dont copy a copy because this is the kind of thing that can
happen.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 11:15:55 +0100, Baz wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
I am having a problem unlocking a uPVC door. The key inserts and
turns as if it was OK but, at the point where I would expect the door
to unlock, it won't turn any further.

Is there anything simple I can try to get in?

--
(\__/) M.

ANGLE GRINDER!!

This our version of Mornington Crescent :-)
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:59:46 +0100, "BigGirlsBlouse"
wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
.. .
I am having a problem unlocking a uPVC door. The key inserts and
turns as if it was OK but, at the point where I would expect the door
to unlock, it won't turn any further.

Is there anything simple I can try to get in?

I assume you have tried to unlock it from both sides of the door?.... also
have you got a some spare keys to try?

No and no. It's not our door. We are trying to gain access to a
neighbours house (at their request) to look after things while they
are on holiday. They have stuff in the freezer and their leccy tends
to trip out.

Golden rule is always keep the original key as a master and only make copies
from that..dont copy a copy because this is the kind of thing that can
happen.

I thought it might be because they gave us the spare keys without
trying them.

--
(\__/) M.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

"Mark" wrote in message
I am having a problem unlocking a uPVC door. The key inserts and
turns as if it was OK but, at the point where I would expect the door
to unlock, it won't turn any further.

Is there anything simple I can try to get in?

Have you tried lifting the handle fully and holding it there (and/or
jiggling it about) whilst you turn the key?

If that doesn't work, try lifting the handle so that you lift the whole
door.

If the key goes in the lock and turns then there's nothing wrong with
the key or the cylinder - it's something in the locking mechanism which
is sticking or out of alignment.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
I am having a problem unlocking a uPVC door. The key inserts and
turns as if it was OK but, at the point where I would expect the door
to unlock, it won't turn any further.

Is there anything simple I can try to get in?

--
(\__/) M.

ANGLE GRINDER!!

This our version of Mornington Crescent :-)

Dear Mr Henry Littlebottom,
I find the best way to get two bottles of washing up liquid for the
price of one is to put one in your shopping trolley and the other in
your coat pocket.
Yours Mrs Trellis.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mark wrote:

I am having a problem unlocking a uPVC door. The key inserts and
turns as if it was OK but, at the point where I would expect the door
to unlock, it won't turn any further.

Is there anything simple I can try to get in?

I recently had a similar problem with an aluminium door - which turned out
to be due to a broken component inside the lock.

Your problem may or may not be the same - but I'll describe mine (and the
solution) in case it helps.

The back of the lock bolt has "square-wave" notches in it, and another
(spring-loaded) component engages with the notches to stop the bolt from
being levered open. Under normal circumstances, when the key is turned, the
cam of the Eurolock lifts this component out of the way, to allow the bolt
to move. If (as in my case) the part of this component on which the cam
operates breaks off, it doesn't get lifted - and the bolt won't move.

In my case, the component which needed lifting had some lugs which moved in
slots, and were accessible after the handle plates had been removed. By
pushing one of these lugs upwards with the end of a screwdriver at the same
time as turning the key, I eventually managed to open the door.

You may be able to do the same *except* that you probably can't remove the
handle plates without getting inside the house, since the screws will almost
certainly go from inside to outside. [I was able to get to both sides of my
door!]
--
Cheers,
Roger

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
I am having a problem unlocking a uPVC door. The key inserts and
turns as if it was OK but, at the point where I would expect the door
to unlock, it won't turn any further.

Is there anything simple I can try to get in?

Try turning the key as if you were locking the door, click it that way
several times then try turning the key as if to unlock.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mark" wrote in message
I am having a problem unlocking a uPVC door. The key inserts and
turns as if it was OK but, at the point where I would expect the door
to unlock, it won't turn any further.

Is there anything simple I can try to get in?

--
(\__/) M.

We have a door set so that even when it's unlocked
it can only be opened from the inside without a key
....from the outside a key is required...so

Lift handle fully + turn key
Press handle down + turn key again

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I am having a problem unlocking a uPVC door. The key inserts and
turns as if it was OK but, at the point where I would expect the door
to unlock, it won't turn any further.
Is there anything simple I can try to get in?

We recently moved house, and one of the locks operates in a similar
way to your description - the key turns in the lock to the point where
it should "click" as it unlocks, but it seems to "jam" mid-turn.

Applying a little extra pressure while doing all the wiggling as
suggested elsewhere seems to do the trick though in our case, but it
does seem to take a disconcerting amount of pressure to do so...