Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Yale patio door locks won't unlock

Hi good diy-ers

What with all the unseasonably hot weather in SE England recently, as
you can imagine, I decided to open my patio doors this weekend. Alas
and alack! I have 4 yale locks securing the two doors securely to the
top and bottom, but 3 out of the 4 locks would not budge at all. I
have tried using WD40, but with no success.
What can I do, other then remove the same and chuck in the nearest
bin?
If that is the only answer, could anyone recommend a decent lock as an
alternative? Chubb any better? Even the keys on these Yale locks seem
distinctly dodgy - slight tendency to bend with time...
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mikeyboy wrote:
Hi good diy-ers

What with all the unseasonably hot weather in SE England recently, as
you can imagine, I decided to open my patio doors this weekend. Alas
and alack! I have 4 yale locks securing the two doors securely to the
top and bottom, but 3 out of the 4 locks would not budge at all. I
have tried using WD40, but with no success.
What can I do, other then remove the same and chuck in the nearest
bin?
If that is the only answer, could anyone recommend a decent lock as an
alternative? Chubb any better? Even the keys on these Yale locks seem
distinctly dodgy - slight tendency to bend with time...

I assume you've tried a good old thump in the location of the locks?

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message
Mikeyboy wrote:
Hi good diy-ers

What with all the unseasonably hot weather in SE England recently, as
you can imagine, I decided to open my patio doors this weekend. Alas
and alack! I have 4 yale locks securing the two doors securely to the
top and bottom, but 3 out of the 4 locks would not budge at all. I
have tried using WD40, but with no success.
What can I do, other then remove the same and chuck in the nearest
bin?
If that is the only answer, could anyone recommend a decent lock as an
alternative? Chubb any better? Even the keys on these Yale locks seem
distinctly dodgy - slight tendency to bend with time...

I assume you've tried a good old thump in the location of the locks?

The correct term is 'percussive maintenance' :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
www.medwayhandyman.co.uk

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mikeyboy wrote:
Hi good diy-ers

What with all the unseasonably hot weather in SE England recently, as
you can imagine, I decided to open my patio doors this weekend. Alas
and alack! I have 4 yale locks securing the two doors securely to the
top and bottom, but 3 out of the 4 locks would not budge at all. I
have tried using WD40, but with no success.
What can I do, other then remove the same and chuck in the nearest
bin?
If that is the only answer, could anyone recommend a decent lock as an
alternative? Chubb any better? Even the keys on these Yale locks seem
distinctly dodgy - slight tendency to bend with time...

I assume you've tried a good old thump in the location of the locks?

The correct term is 'percussive maintenance' :-)

Bah...Amateurs

Angle Grinder................

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mikeyboy wrote:
Hi good diy-ers

What with all the unseasonably hot weather in SE England recently,
as you can imagine, I decided to open my patio doors this weekend.
Alas and alack! I have 4 yale locks securing the two doors securely
to the top and bottom, but 3 out of the 4 locks would not budge at
all. I have tried using WD40, but with no success.
What can I do, other then remove the same and chuck in the nearest
bin?
If that is the only answer, could anyone recommend a decent lock as
an alternative? Chubb any better? Even the keys on these Yale locks
seem distinctly dodgy - slight tendency to bend with time...

I assume you've tried a good old thump in the location of the locks?

The correct term is 'percussive maintenance' :-)

You can tell I'm not a tradesman.

"Want woofers and tweeters with that?"

Si

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot" wrote in message

You can tell I'm not a tradesman.

"Want woofers and tweeters with that?"

The gadget show did a comparison of hdmi leads and announced at the end "if
you spent £120 on a lead you have wasted £100".

The reality is they wasted £15 and the others wasted £115 but who's
counting?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

No I haven't tried percussive maintenance, but will give that a go.

What about my follow up question: