Mason121

Default front door won`t unlock anymore.

Hello, you put the key in and turn it like normal but the door won`t "click"
unlock. The house is a raised ranch w/ an attached garage. The door to the
garage is right next to the main front door and has the same type of lock so I
just swapped out the two. I didn`t measure the hole where the knob set goes
into.
Went to the local hardware store and bought two new keyed entry knob sets.
Had them re-keyed so they could both use the same key. Talked to a guy at the
hardware store about all the knob sets being standard......asked if these would
fit in my door and he said yes. Went home to put the new door knob sets in and
they won`t fit. The existing holes in my doors are too small in dia. The new
ones need a 2 1/8" hole. How can I drill a bigger hole in the same place as
the holes I have. I mean it would be easy to drill a hole in a door that has
no hole. Just use a hole saw......but how to center the 2 1/8" hole saw in a
hole with no center point. I know you might say .....take them back and buy
the ones that fit my door hole. I can`t find any that will fit. The house was
made back in 1963. Buy new doors and drill them......not an option at this
time for me.
TIA.............for any ideas. Dan.
DanG

Take an oversized piece of plywood. Drill the 2 1/8 hole in the
board. clamp or tack the template to the door and drill away
with the hole saw.

Make sure that the new hole will accommodate the backset
requirements of the strike.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing. . . .
DanG

"Mason121" wrote in message
[...]

Phisherman

On 26 Apr 2004 04:48:52 GMT, (Mason121) wrote:

[...]

You need a hole saw set (about $12). First cut a plug, use
carpenter's glue and plug the hole. After allowing the glue to cure
(1 day), cut a new hole being careful about the 90-degree angle.
Avoid cutting all the way through--drill from the other side half way
through. The plug idea works well, I've used it many times.
Mason121

You need a hole saw set (about $12). First cut a plug, use
carpenter's glue and plug the hole. After allowing the glue to cure
(1 day), cut a new hole being careful about the 90-degree angle.
Avoid cutting all the way through--drill from the other side half way
through. The plug idea works well, I've used it many times.

That sounds do-able to me. The plug will fit in the existing hole with a hole
in the center of it. Gluing it in will secure the
plug. Then I just have to drill the new
2 1/8 th. hole.
Thanks alot. Dan.
..

Front door hassles TRK's dad UK diy 0 May 19th 04 11:50 AM
Problem with the LCD front panel display on an NEC vcr Nick Smith Electronics Repair 1 October 24th 03 10:49 PM
Fridge freezer - how to remove top front panel (Bosch KGV3120GB/04 UK model) Joe UK diy 2 October 22nd 03 12:31 PM