Mason121

Default front door won`t unlock anymore.

Hello, you put the key in and turn it like normal but the door won`t "click"
unlock. The house is a raised ranch w/ an attached garage. The door to the
garage is right next to the main front door and has the same type of lock so I
just swapped out the two. I didn`t measure the hole where the knob set goes
into.
Went to the local hardware store and bought two new keyed entry knob sets.
Had them re-keyed so they could both use the same key. Talked to a guy at the
hardware store about all the knob sets being standard......asked if these would
fit in my door and he said yes. Went home to put the new door knob sets in and
they won`t fit. The existing holes in my doors are too small in dia. The new
ones need a 2 1/8" hole. How can I drill a bigger hole in the same place as
the holes I have. I mean it would be easy to drill a hole in a door that has
no hole. Just use a hole saw......but how to center the 2 1/8" hole saw in a
hole with no center point. I know you might say .....take them back and buy
the ones that fit my door hole. I can`t find any that will fit. The house was
made back in 1963. Buy new doors and drill them......not an option at this
time for me.
TIA.............for any ideas. Dan.