Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Can't unlock door

Mark wrote:

I am having a problem unlocking a uPVC door. The key inserts and
turns as if it was OK but, at the point where I would expect the door
to unlock, it won't turn any further.

Is there anything simple I can try to get in?

I recently had a similar problem with an aluminium door - which turned out
to be due to a broken component inside the lock.

Your problem may or may not be the same - but I'll describe mine (and the
solution) in case it helps.

The back of the lock bolt has "square-wave" notches in it, and another
(spring-loaded) component engages with the notches to stop the bolt from
being levered open. Under normal circumstances, when the key is turned, the
cam of the Eurolock lifts this component out of the way, to allow the bolt
to move. If (as in my case) the part of this component on which the cam
operates breaks off, it doesn't get lifted - and the bolt won't move.

In my case, the component which needed lifting had some lugs which moved in
slots, and were accessible after the handle plates had been removed. By
pushing one of these lugs upwards with the end of a screwdriver at the same
time as turning the key, I eventually managed to open the door.

You may be able to do the same *except* that you probably can't remove the
handle plates without getting inside the house, since the screws will almost
certainly go from inside to outside. [I was able to get to both sides of my
door!]
--
Cheers,
Roger